PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New CBA = Get out of Cap Hell Free Card????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this in the "Get Rich Quick" scheme on Pats "fan" tried to pull on the Patriots regarding the Flutie Drop Kick Ball written by "Wrong" Borges. This, however, deserves to be look at in more detail. And that is the discussions of the new CBA Extension.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/01/29/a_get_rich_kick_scheme_fails/?page=2

WRONG BORGES said:
Management has begun to put together some guaranteed cap numbers beginning at $110 million and swelling to $160 million six years later. Twelve years ago, when the salary cap era began, the first cap was around $36 million.

Now, I don't know if the $110 million would be starting in 2006, 2007, or 2008 (the end of the current CBA). What I do know is that if its in 2006, all our speculation regarding the demise of the Jets and the Colts goes right out the window. If that $110 was in 2007, it wouldn't be as bad, but we would see a jump in the salary cap to around $98 million for this year.

The CBA negotiations are CRITICAL for the survival of the NFL that we all know and love. A return to the pre-cap days, though it leaves the Pats is a much more stable position than other teams, would see the league degenerate into the morass that MLB has become. Where only a few teams actually competing on a regular basis.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Someone mentioned this in the "Get Rich Quick" scheme on Pats "fan" tried to pull on the Patriots regarding the Flutie Drop Kick Ball written by "Wrong" Borges. This, however, deserves to be look at in more detail. And that is the discussions of the new CBA Extension.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...06/01/29/a_get_rich_kick_scheme_fails/?page=2

Now, I don't know if the $110 million would be starting in 2006, 2007, or 2008 (the end of the current CBA). What I do know is that if its in 2006, all our speculation regarding the demise of the Jets and the Colts goes right out the window. If that $110 was in 2007, it wouldn't be as bad, but we would see a jump in the salary cap to around $98 million for this year.

The CBA negotiations are CRITICAL for the survival of the NFL that we all know and love. A return to the pre-cap days, though it leaves the Pats is a much more stable position than other teams, would see the league degenerate into the morass that MLB has become. Where only a few teams actually competing on a regular basis.

But how many teams can really go that high ? The Jets could but they don't have the licensing deal that we have..The Colts..I am not sure either..

aabtec said:
But how many teams can really go that high ? The Jets could but they don't have the licensing deal that we have..The Colts..I am not sure either..

Aabtec -
I'm not sure what you mean by your question. The Salary cap is based on the agreed monies that the league earns. Currently, that is limited to TV contracts and gate receipts. Things like parking lot fees and, luxury suites fees, and consessions aren't included.

Needless to say, the TV contracts carry the league. Some teams benefit more than others from the TV Contracts because their gate receipts aren't up there. In fact, I saw somewhere that the TV contracts for this year provided teams with $87 million each. Don't know if this is true or not, but it would mean that teams who were significantly below the cap got to pocket the extra money.

Anyways, I hope that helps to put things in perspective. Also, I am hoping that AndyJ, AdamJT, and Miquel all chime in on this. I am very interested in their takes.

DaBruinz said:

Not necessarily. Suppose, for instance, that an increase in the salary cap was accompanied by a 20% increase across the board for all of the veteran minimum salaries? This would eat up a huge chunk of any cap increase in salaries to rank and file players.

I do not believe that the Players Union wants a CBA that further widens the disparity between what the majority of their members earn and what a relative handful of marquee players earn. If anything is wrong with the current system, it's that it hurts the average NFL earning veteran minimums. I don't think the union is anywhere near as concerned with what Richard Seymour makes as they are with what the average player makes over a short career. The union knows that Peyton Manning's contract takes money out of most of their members' pockets.

I think we should sit back and see what a new CBA looks like. The "headlines" about the cap ignore important details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back