Welcome to PatsFans.com

New binkie

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by stinkypete, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Clint Sintim.

He's the only OLB other than Curry who doesn't come with serious question marks and who can start in 2009. He's got 3 years starting experience in the 3-4, is an accomplished pass rusher, has the bulk to shed blocks and is a strong clubhouse guy.

There's no way Sintim's name isn't called at #23.

2. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Sintim is clearly the readiest OLB candidate. The problem with lumping him with Curry is that Sintim is simply not a great athlete -- at a position that puts a premium on great athletes. Many here think he has a lot of potential at SILB, but that lowers the readiness/safety factor that is his greatest selling point.

So I like Sintim but I can't see him as first-round value unless you feel there's such a gaping hole in the lineup that plugging it immediately is an overwhelming priority. Or to put it another way, is Sintim as a rookie likely to be so much better than 4th-year Pierre Woods?

3. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +114 / 9 / -3

I'm concerned by Sintim's Senior Bowl week, and I only saw him once against UConn this year, but what I saw did not impress. He was swallowed up.

4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +501 / 43 / -48

#50 Jersey

There are plenty of ways that Simtin's name isn't called at #23. In fact, too many to list.

But some things to understand.
    1) Virginia runs a 3-4 1 gap scheme. Not a 2 Gap. So, Simtin is a better fit for teams like Dallas and San Deigo than for the Pats.

2) The Pats have passed on every other 3-4 LB coming out of Virginia since Groh took over. Including Ahmad Brooks, whom they could have had on the cheap.

3) Simtin is a work in progress when it comes to coverage.

4) Simtin isn't great at stopping the run..

5) Has some bad technique on his pass rush that he hardly ever gets his hands up into the passing lanes.

5. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -6

For me, Sintim simply isn't a first round calibre player. He's similar to Cliff Avril from Purdue last year, who was listed as a 1st round pick in the 20's on lots of mock drafts (including lots of "professional" mocks) but ended up going around #92 to Detroit. He has limited athleticism, especially in coverage. I see him as a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy myself. I wouldn't mind him at #58 as an SILB conversion, but I don't see him as a solution at 3-4 OLB and wouldn't take him earlier than that.

6. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -4

He's a nice, solid player. But his average athleticism places him as 2nd round material.

7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This draft appears loaded with offensive tackles and outside linebackers... which happen to be the two biggest needs on the Pats.

8. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

you know BB planned that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.