Welcome to PatsFans.com

New AARP Ads: I Earned It

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Nov 8, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +495 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

AARP Ad

So, if they earned their S.S. and Medicare, why are they in actuarial trouble? Might it be that they didn't pay enough in?

I know the temptation is to say "tough", the young uns will have to suck it up and make up the difference. But....

US wealth gap between young and old is widest ever - BusinessWeek
    Don't worry kids, they'll make it up to you by sticking you with the largest debt in human history.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Hahahaha, everytime I see those commericals I want to punch my TV. The old guy all smug "we've earned it. We arent line items you can veto on a budget, and we arent push overs....heres a number for you, 50 Million....you'll be hearing from all of us"

OK old man river...He is right, they have "earned it"... they also have earned what their esteemed cohorts in Congress (median age of 53) have done by spending me and the generations after me into "bolivian"

After that commercial I usually make some poor quality jokes about old people (which my wife doesnt seem to find funny) so Ill spare you all :)

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

What are they supposed to do???

Whether they earned it or not, Social Security Benefits are not all that high and if they lose what they are getting, then it would cause irreparable harm to them and a whole generation of seniors..

4. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Darryl, all kidding aside, yes today's seniors have earned their benefits. Most seniors today are young enough to have been paying into them their whole lives.

My issue with it is this. Congress, for who knows how long has treated our entitlement programs like a slush fund, and used funds from them to pay for other things. Now those programs are not as solvant, and thus people are talking about cuts to those benes. While the "public" seniors arent necessarily responsibile for the issues with the funding of these programs, the voting public has allowed this uncontrolled pillaging of the programs to go long enough that the solutions are now tougher.

That being said, older generatations look at the younger ones and question their sense of entitlement. I (being in a younger generation) see ads like this, with this old dude and his smug, entitled statements and say "you should have spoken up sooner gramps".

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,116 / 3 / -10

I hate old people

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +495 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

You mean that people who have all the money (see above)?

7. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +495 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I think Medicare has been under-funded for a long time. The rate of contributions were kept level while medical costs grew at 6-7% per year.

Not all of this is due to the General Fund spending done using SS Trust Fund monies. Even if those monies were available the program is projected to be unable to pay the full level of benefits right around my full retirement age (great timing on my part).

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey