1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Richard Marshall
3a. Joseph Addai
3b. Stanley McCLover or someone else

big mike said:
Based on how the picks fell, I would have preferred:

OK, based on that draft I'll take :

1. Chad Greenway.
(As I've said, I like his pass coverage ability. Williams and Carpenter would be fine picks too, though).

2. Richard Marshall.
(Devin Joseph and Charles Spencer interest me too, though).

3a. Maurice Stovall.
3b. Devin Hester.
(Greg Jennings would be a consideration for both 3rd rounders but I like Stovall already knowing the offense and Hester's return game).

BelichickFan said:

1. Chad Greenway.
(As I've said, I like his pass coverage ability. Williams and Carpenter would be fine picks too, though).

2. Richard Marshall.

3a. Maurice Stovall.
3b. Devin Hester.
(Greg Jennings would be a consideration for both 3rd rounders but I like Stovall already knowing the offense and Hester's return game).
No RB?

Since some good ones are available late (in that mock anyway), I definitely think we should take one.

big mike said:
No RB?

Since some good ones are available late (in that mock anyway), I definitely think we should take one.
Give me another pick and I'll take one :)

I'm not a big fan of RB for this draft. There's none I really like after the first rounders and I don't really want to take one in round one. Most of the others strike me as 3rd down/change of pace types.

big mike said:
Based on how the picks fell, I would have preferred:
1. Bobby Carpenter
2. Richard Marshall
3a. Joseph Addai
3b. Stanley McCLover or someone else

Swap out McClover (though I do like him) for WR Mike Hass, and I'll turn cartwheels. Honestly, though, that mock's original picks all seem like good fits for the team, which is rare...pretty strong mock overall.

BelichickFan said:

1. Chad Greenway.

2. Richard Marshall.

3a. Maurice Stovall.
3b. Devin Hester.

Hester round three? Why? He hasn't proven that he has a position. I would be extremely disappointed if we took him in the 3rd over Jennings and Haas.

harveyw said:
Hester round three? Why? He hasn't proven that he has a position.
Upside, like Bethel, LOL.

I want a solution to our return game and I'll pay a #3 to get it.

BelichickFan said:
Give me another pick and I'll take one :)

I'm not a big fan of RB for this draft. There's none I really like after the first rounders and I don't really want to take one in round one. Most of the others strike me as 3rd down/change of pace types.
I can understand that. I agree with not taking one in round 1 (I prefer LB there). But, I can see taking Addai, Calhoun, or possibly Norwood, as they *could* be every down backs. Addai has much better size than many people seem to think, and could very well be a good every down back in the NFL. I'd be quite happy taking him in round 2 (and if he slips to 3a as he did in this mock, I think we should definitely take him).

patchick said:
Swap out McClover (though I do like him) for WR Mike Hass, and I'll turn cartwheels. Honestly, though, that mock's original picks all seem like good fits for the team, which is rare...pretty strong mock overall.

I coudn't think of a much better scenario on day one than:

Carpenter
Marshall
Addai
Hass

not a bad mock for us at all. I will agree about a RB as our first pick. I think that we are a year away from that. We should take one in the 3rd or 4th and see how he works out. Curtis Martin was a 3rd rounder.

However, if Williams falls to us at 21, he will be hard to pass up. Everything that I"ve read lately says he's moving up and not down. He will probably be long gone before we pick at 21.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
However, if Williams falls to us at 21, he will be hard to pass up. Everything tha I"ve read lately says he'soving up and not down. He will probably be long gone before we pick at 21.
True but this is really one of those drafts that is so strong that someone has to be there.

I was talking to a Browns fan who I respect greatly. He was at the Senior Bowl as a media attendee. His latest mock had Richard Marshall as the fourth last pick of the 3rd round. I asked him - why so low and he responded with :

"The one thing I learned about this specific draft quite some time ago is that it's a very very deep secondary class. As such you'll some better talents fall. This is only heightened by the fact that two injury cases like Allen and Cromartie are blowing people away and creating a buzz this offseason. Personally I have some other guys rated ahead of Marshall obviously, but even if I didn't you could easily see a top talent start to slide because of positional depth."

His mock is here :

http://mb25.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=55578.topic

(just be careful about looking at the picture at the bottom of page one . . . it might cause me to have an affair ;) )

PATSNUTme said:
not a bad mock for us at all. I will agree about a RB as our first pick. I think that we are a year away from that. We should take one in the 3rd or 4th and see how he works out. Curtis Martin was a 3rd rounder.
Curtis Martin is a rare example. You can't say that since he was a 3rd rounder and is a great RB, that we can do fine with 3rd rounders. Brady was a 6th rounder after all.

My feeling is that IF Addai is available at our 2nd round pick, and we've already taken Carpenter (or perhaps some other LB) in round 1 - I'd personally take Addai. I think he'd be a steal there. There aren't many teams looking for RBs this year, so he or another good one will slip. But I think it's highly unlikely that he'd make it to our 3a pick as he did in that mock. I also think it's unlikely that Richard Marshall makes it to our #2 pick. If he does though, it would be a tough choice between him and Addai.

However, if Williams falls to us at 21, he will be hard to pass up. Everything tha I"ve read lately says he'soving up and not down. He will probably be long gone before we pick at 21.
Not if the teams above us aren't looking for an RB. In terms of talent, he's definitely above #21 in the draft. It all comes down though to what teams want. And then what BB wants.

I think Williams is probably a better talent overall than Carpenter. But, I see Carpenter as a great fit for the Patriots in particular - and we definitely need an LB (especially one who could play both ILB or OLB) more than an RB.

BelichickFan said:
Upside, like Bethel, LOL.

I want a solution to our return game and I'll pay a #3 to get it.

Hester is NOT that solution.

What the Pats have to focus on with their special teams is improving their blocking schemes. One of the things that wasn't there with Bethel and Hobbs is the holes for blocking.

The other thing the Pats have to focus on is not taking as many penalties. That KILLED the Pats return game last year. One of the biggest culprits, Matt Chatham, is gone. Another was TBC. Hopefully he improves. And I hope that guys like Alexander or Claridge can come in and make a difference on special teams. Because we need that.

Last edited:
big mike said:
Curtis Martin is a rare example. You can't say that since he was a 3rd rounder and is a great RB, that we can do fine with 3rd rounders. Brady was a 6th rounder after all.

My feeling is that IF Addai is available at our 2nd round pick, and we've already taken Carpenter (or perhaps some other LB) in round 1 - I'd personally take Addai. I think he'd be a steal there. There aren't many teams looking for RBs this year, so he or another good one will slip. But I think it's highly unlikely that he'd make it to our 3a pick as he did in that mock. I also think it's unlikely that Richard Marshall makes it to our #2 pick. If he does though, it would be a tough choice between him and Addai.

Not if the teams above us aren't looking for an RB. In terms of talent, he's definitely above #21 in the draft. It all comes down though to what teams want. And then what BB wants.

I think Williams is probably a better talent overall than Carpenter. But, I see Carpenter as a great fit for the Patriots in particular - and we definitely need an LB (especially one who could play both ILB or OLB) more than an RB.

Actually I agree with everything you just said. Carpenter is my pick at #21 right now.

If Addai is there for our 2nd pick, then he would be a good choice depending on who else is there.

BelichickFan said:
True but this is really one of those drafts that is so strong that someone has to be there.

I was talking to a Browns fan who I respect greatly. He was at the Senior Bowl as a media attendee. His latest mock had Richard Marshall as the fourth last pick of the 3rd round. I asked him - why so low and he responded with :

"The one thing I learned about this specific draft quite some time ago is that it's a very very deep secondary class. As such you'll some better talents fall. This is only heightened by the fact that two injury cases like Allen and Cromartie are blowing people away and creating a buzz this offseason. Personally I have some other guys rated ahead of Marshall obviously, but even if I didn't you could easily see a top talent start to slide because of positional depth."

His mock is here :

http://mb25.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=55578.topic

(just be careful about looking at the picture at the bottom of page one . . . it might cause me to have an affair ;) )

I don't like his mock for us. To each their own.

I will agree that this years draft is more puzzeling then most. It is deep quite a few positions. Even the "weak" WR class has many good prospects in rounds 2-4.
I've never seen such a wide range in player rankings that I've seen this year. Usually there will be a few variances but most rankings would be within 10-15 spots of each other.

Not this year -wierd.

PATSNUTme said:
I don't like his mock for us. To each their own.
I don't either but I do highly respect his draft knowledge.

I agree 1000% on that. That would be a great draft. Very Shibby! (Extra credit for the one who can name the movie where "Shibby" came from)

As an added pick, trade up from our 1st 4th rounder and pick up either Roman Harper/S/Alabama or Andrew Whitworth/OT/LSU. Both are picked to go late 3rd.

What's the deal with Chad Greenway? If memory serves me correctly, he had a great senior bowl and I thought I read a few reports that had him picked to go in the early part of the 1st round. Did he have a bad combine or something?

patchick said:

Wow... what a great mock draft. I think the writer has been scouting our Message Board; it looks like a Pats draft that any of us might have put together.

I even like the Jennings pick. But passing on Abdul Hodge at #86 is inexcusable...

stevedogc said:
I agree 1000% on that. That would be a great draft. Very Shibby! (Extra credit for the one who can name the movie where "Shibby" came from)
"Dude, Where's my Car?"?

As an added pick, trade up from our 1st 4th rounder and pick up either Roman Harper/S/Alabama or Andrew Whitworth/OT/LSU. Both are picked to go late 3rd.
That would work for me.

What's the deal with Chad Greenway? If memory serves me correctly, he had a great senior bowl and I thought I read a few reports that had him picked to go in the early part of the 1st round. Did he have a bad combine or something?
Yes, bad combine and Pro Day. He was surprisingly weak at them. I think he'll likely still be taken in the top 20 though. I think Dallas could go for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back