PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Never realized Adalius had such a big mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with him!

Don't kid yourself. This isn't about health issues, it's about money.

Why would he be complaining about the NFL getting softer and also be complaining about the health ramifications of converting one or two preseason games into regular season games?

It's about both; and there's a big difference between being softer on QB's and asking everyone to play 2 more games. The season is physically demanding as is.

It's possible to both love playing the game and stand up for players' rights. Let's not posit false choices.

The NFL has a crap union and CBA compared to MLB and the NBA, even though it's arguably more demanding and brutal, and the league itself makes more money than those leagues (I believe - at least in TV revenue it should) so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players are upset by this.

The crap union is probably the biggest reason why football is such a huge success. If you don't perform you are gone.

I think the bigger thing in all of this, including what A.T. said, is bargaining. The owners say we are going to increase the season by 2 games and not pay you any more, the players come back and say if you want up to play 2 more games you gotta pay us. Then both sides make some comments that make them sound dumb. Later on we find out who was serious, and who was posturing.

I really think we are going to end up with the extra regular season games, and the players are going to end up getting paid more, and everyone will be happy.

Utterly absurd.

Actually its not utterly absurd, you can certainly argue that is true, and they are getting paid for playing 20 games. Once again all posturing until we see the final contract.

Definitely agree with him. He's right to not settle for giving himself away for less money.

Thomas doesn't seem to understand how players are paid in the NFL. For him to get caught up on his preseason check not equaling his regular season check is a just showing that lack of understanding.

When Godell says the players are already paid for the whole season, he is actually right for once in his life. It is how the system is set up. A player isn't an independent contractor working for himself. He doesn't get a weekly paycheck with an hourly wage. He is a member of the NFLPA who collectively bargain their compensation as a whole.

The salary cap is set up so that the players get a % of the league's revenue. If the league goes to 18 games and their TV revenues go up accordinlgy, the salary cap goes up equivalent to the players share of the new revenue, and players get more $. Thomas himself may not make more but collectively the members of the NFLPA make significantly more.

You post is 100% correct and I bolded the appropriate part. Teams would have a higher salary cap (primarily due to additional TV revenue) but player contracts wouldn't automatically be bumped to adjust to the higher cap number. Each player would need to negotiate to get their part of the expanded pie.

I guess there would be nothing stopping a team from distributing out the additional cap to all players under contract. If the additional games result in a 5% increase in gross revenue, then a team could dole out the extra cash on the cap (65% of that 5%) to all players by some standard/fair formula. I can't imagine any team would work that way, but that would satisfy AD's "pay me more for more games" argument. More likely, he would have to renegotiate his contract to see any of that money.

It's possible to both love playing the game and stand up for players' rights. Let's not posit false choices.

The NFL has a crap union and CBA compared to MLB and the NBA, even though it's arguably more demanding and brutal, and the league itself makes more money than those leagues (I believe - at least in TV revenue it should) so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players are upset by this.

I see what you're saying, but I hope you saw what I said too. I can see players scraping for every cent they get, but I personally don't care if they get it or not. There is a system in place that pays most of these guys more money in one or two years than I'll ever see in my entire life in a lot of cases. I don't worry about their "right" to make a couple of few more million.

If you want to talk about MLB or the NBA, baseball players play 162 games a year. The NBA plays 82. These are huge sports with less players on the team than football...having a lot less players means more money to spread around to them. Then, if they are a good team that goes deep into the playoffs, they may play more games in the postseason alone than the NFL team that wins the Superbowl. There's PLENTY of money in these sports, too.

Seems like Goodell probably has the leg up on AD in terms of big picture league finances. However, I don't have any problem whatsoever with AD voicing his opinion on these topics that he feels are unfair.

I agree with his sentiment that it's not fair that NFL revenues are unknown, whereas player salaries are pretty much public knowledge.

I was amazed by the large number of angry posters commenting below the Reiss's Piece on boston.com most of the people there were clueless it seems... something people need to get through their heads: just because the economy is poor doesn't mean anyone in any business should start going soft and just giving up money to it's competition. That's bad business in the long run. The only solution for people who feel that NFL players are overpaid is to stop any activity that helps the NFL generate revenue.

This is how I like to see players speak. Not politically correct, just real. I love his comments at the end regarding alcohol. The irony.

lol, big mouth, but for a good reason

i want our players to be like that, he is in no way being unreasonable

I love these comments by Adalius. He has many good points.

I just love how fans want their athletes to be honest and raw - but when they are, they are thrown under the bus.

I see what you're saying, but I hope you saw what I said too. I can see players scraping for every cent they get, but I personally don't care if they get it or not. There is a system in place that pays most of these guys more money in one or two years than I'll ever see in my entire life in a lot of cases. I don't worry about their "right" to make a couple of few more million.

I understand not liking the income disparity, that's for sure. I'd like to see some of that money myself. But I would hate to see them have to do more work for the same pay in the same way I'd like see everybody have a decent, livable wage. Workers in this country get screwed enough as it is.

I understand not liking the income disparity, that's for sure. I'd like to see some of that money myself. But I would hate to see them have to do more work for the same pay in the same way I'd like see everybody have a decent, livable wage. Workers in this country get screwed enough as it is.

I do it all the time. THAT'S what I hate to see, and I don't need to tell you that I'm not a millionaire again.

I think the bigger thing in all of this, including what A.T. said, is bargaining.

Absolutely. It'll be very interesting to see how much stronger the player's union has become, if any.

Every single one of AD's points is backed up by reason. You may disagree, but you have to admit his points are valid.

I, for one, agree.

Imagine if you went into work, and they wanted everyone to work one more day a week? They owners would say "hey, you already get paid yearly". You still make the same per year. This is the same thing that Goodell would be asking. He's asking the players to work MORE for the same amount of money.

I also think the beer stuff is hypocrisy on Goodell's part.

I agree with AD 100%.

I do it all the time. THAT'S what I hate to see, and I don't need to tell you that I'm not a millionaire again.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm getting at. It sucks for everybody.

This is how I like to see players speak. Not politically correct, just real. I love his comments at the end regarding alcohol. The irony.

Most everything the NFL does is geared either towards image, money, or both. The NFL doesn't want kids to see the players they idolize promoting alcohol. It's probably that simple, and it's understandable. I don't see the hypocrisy there because, at the same time, a huge portion of the fanbase does drink beer, so they can't totally divorce themselves from that market. Thus the Coors Light commercials, which I happen to like...moneh. Their image is saved, they make their money, and I drink my beer anyway and don't care.

Now excuse me while I go to the bar...for real.

AD has a lot of good points!! I support what he says!!

Every single one of AD's points is backed up by reason. You may disagree, but you have to admit his points are valid.

I, for one, agree.

Imagine if you went into work, and they wanted everyone to work one more day a week? They owners would say "hey, you already get paid yearly". You still make the same per year. This is the same thing that Goodell would be asking. He's asking the players to work MORE for the same amount of money.

I also think the beer stuff is hypocrisy on Goodell's part.

I agree with AD 100%.

You are missing the point. Players negotiate for their salary and AD negotiated based on the salary cap at the time and a 16 game regular season. If the league changes to an 18 game season, AD can either renegotiate (based on an expanded cap), not play (money not worth the extra games) or suck it up and play.

If player contracts mention a 16 game regular season, then all contracts would need to be reworked anyway. I assume that is the case. The union will have a say on whether or not this happens and then AD can ask for whatever money he wants. He won't get it, but he can ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes