PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Never mind Branch or Givens. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDD

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Couldn't we use Willie Mac about now?

Am I the only one who thought that 3 yrs. and 12 mil from Cleveland wasn't ridiculous, especially if he would have taken a modest discount from us?

I wouldn't have paid $4M a year for McGinnest (for 3 years, maybe I would have for 1 year).

Sorry, this topic is a thing of the past. Willie was a great Patriot.

We are seeing the emergence of new leaders this year in Warren and Wilfork.

As Bill Walsh said, and Troy Aikman repeated last week, the hardest thing to do in sports is to let go of a guy a year too early rather than a year too late. And the Patriots do it better than anyone else.

Am I the only one who thought that 3 yrs. and 12 mil from Cleveland wasn't ridiculous, especially if he would have taken a modest discount from us?

from Cleveland: no, it wasn't ridiculous

from NE: it would have been nuts, especially when considering that he'd be getting paid more than Bruschi

I don't mean necessarily for his leadership ability.

I mean he represents a substantial upgrade over TBC on the outside.

Player G - T - S

Willie 9 - 20 - 5
TBC 11 - 9 - 3.5

TBC has done that in a limited role, Willie is a starter.

Based on this years stats there doesn't appear to be much of a drop off. I understand the quality of the linemen etc. but either way the numbers are what they are.

Last edited:
Sorry, but Willie would have been a back up here. With both Vrabel and Colvin starting the season on the outside, I can't see McGinest supplanting either guy. You don't pay a back up $4 million a year just in case one of the starters goes down.

McGinest was brought on by the Browns to be a starter and a leader for a young defensive corp. He is probably serving as a LB coach to Kamerion Wimbley, D'Quell Jackson, and some of the other young LBs.

Now that Seau went down, it is obvious we could use the guy. But you don't pay decent starter money to a guy just in case someone goes down.

Sorry, but Willie would have been a back up here. With both Vrabel and Colvin starting the season on the outside, I can't see McGinest supplanting either guy. You don't pay a back up $4 million a year just in case one of the starters goes down.

McGinest was brought on by the Browns to be a starter and a leader for a young defensive corp. He is probably serving as a LB coach to Kamerion Wimbley, D'Quell Jackson, and some of the other young LBs.

Now that Seau went down, it is obvious we could use the guy. But you don't pay decent starter money to a guy just in case someone goes down.

I agree with that, especially in this case but the Pats have done it before. Jarvis Green recieved a nice contract extension. Everything is based on the specific situation.

as much as i loved willie, most of the people in this thread have it right. Willie will be done after either this year or next year. He is a great player, but we let him go a year early, and we have cap room now to make moves that can effect this team well after willie has retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back