Welcome to PatsFans.com

Netflix - anyone have it?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Ian, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Thinking about getting it on the Wii for the family, and wondering if anyone else has it and how they like it. For $9.99 it seems like a no-brainer now that we've gotten rid of all the pay channels since The Pacific, etc. ended.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you getting just to use on the Wii and not going to use their snail mail rental service?
  3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I just have it to watch movies and TV shows on my laptop. I hardly use the snail mail. I think it's worth it, especially if you're also getting Wii games out of it.
  4. Ian

Ratings:
    +188 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Supposedly you can watch movies right through the Wii - which I think will be great for the kids. I don't know all the details about the service, and my wife and I were just talking about doing it. Can you use the snail-mail in addition to being able to watch the movies on-demand on the Wii? I figured my wife and I could rent a movie and watch it in our room on Saturday nights or whatever, while the kids could rent one and then also watch free movies via the Wii. Anyone who can elaborate and fill me in is greatly appreciated :)
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You get the snail mail plan by default with the Wii and online streaming free with the account. The amount of movies that you are going to rent at one time not including on demand movies is the only real deciding factor in their accounts: more movies you want to take out at a time, the more expensive the service per month. Bare minimum of decent service(roughly four movies a month via snail mail for you) would be their one at a time unlimited plan, but if you wanted two out at a time to watch while they watch their own not on the computer or on the Wii the two out at a time unlimited plan would be better.

The one big drawback about Netflix is they take a few months to put new movies onto their on-demand service but they have a slew of movies and TV programs on there that should more than make up for not having the hits available right away.
  6. lostjumper

lostjumper Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ian, we signed up for this recently (used the xbox360 instead of the Wii, but same plan). For $9.99 you only get 1 in the snail mail at a time, but being parents, we barely get time to watch a full movie anyway, so thats not a big deal for us. And there is a lot on the streaming, especially for the kids. They utilize it more than we do.

If you find you rent 2 or more movies a month, its cheaper just to do netflix.
  7. Ian

Ratings:
    +188 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I can deal with the one on the snail mail. My wife and I usually only have Saturday nights to ourselves after the kids go to bed, so that works out. Plus I think the regional distribution center for them is 1-business day away from us, so we'd get a new one a couple of days later anyway. Besides, I'm never home since I work a lot of nights, and when I am and have a few minutes I'm generally here :cool:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely going to sign up for it. Seems like a no-brainer.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Netflix is terrific. I've been a member for well over a year now. I like it so much, I've bought memberships as gifts for family. Everyone who I've given it to, which is about 5 people, has continued their subscription after the gift's window expired. The snail mail is awesome. If I watch a movie over the weekend, I send it out with the outgoing mail at work on Monday, and by Wednesday, I have a new one when I get home. It's unbelievably fast. As for the "Instant" content, I watch it through my PS3. They have thousands of movies and shows available on Instant, but not everything that they have on DVD, is avail on Instant. Basically, DVD/snail mail has the most content. My parents love Netflix, cuz they have an Insignia Bluray player that streams it straight to their TV. Insignia is the only DVD player that allows Netflix members to search the "Instant" content straight from the TV. I highly recommend Netflix to anyone who enjoys movies, and rents them. One thing to know, is that the 1 movie at a time $9.99 per month, bumps up to $10.50 or so, if you rent Blu-rays, which is what I do. It really is an amazing service.
  9. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Another endorsement of Netflix. I'm a member when I'm in the U.S. and, to be honest, it's the main thing I use my TV for (football apart!).

All I have to add, though, is that I've been very disappointed in the availability of on-line downloads. Very limited and second-class selection. I need the three-at-a-time plan (at least) because of the slowness of the mail and because a lot of the things I want to watch come in multi-dvd sets (e.g. The Wire) each of which counts as one "film".
  10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I concur. A lot of the streaming movies are old and or just plain bad. Or I have already seen it. One of the nice things is that you can stop and pick up just where you left off any time. I'm still trying to get through Brideshead Revisited. I read and liked the book in college and the Canadian made miniseries of the book. But, this new, and obviously, abridged version is kind of eh. The main thing I'm using it for is TV series. I just finished the first 3 seasons of Dexter and am now watching Burn Notice. I opted up for the 2 disc because of the mail as well. I did the same with Gamefly.