PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NESN: BB apologized to four late players - report questioned by BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board is a riot.

What's wrong with some of you people?
Let me try...

1. Kids in America being taught at a young age that they are special, unique, and their opinion matters, when 99% of the time that's total BS and opinions are next to worthless.

2. People thinking that they're experts on something they only watch on TV.

3. People having such bad personalities that they probably haven't dealt face-to-face with another human being that isn't related to them in ages.

4. Because of the relative safety of arguing on the internet, a lot of people who truly deserve a good punch in the jaw for spouting off and being disrespectful never get theirs.

Let me try...

1. Kids in America being taught at a young age that they are special, unique, and their opinion matters, when 99% of the time that's total BS and opinions are next to worthless.

2. People thinking that they're experts on something they only watch on TV.

3. People having such bad personalities that they probably haven't dealt face-to-face with another human being that isn't related to them in ages.

4. Because of the relative safety of arguing on the internet, a lot of people who truly deserve a good punch in the jaw for spouting off and being disrespectful never get theirs.

Heeeyyyyyy!!!.....number 4 hurts.

What if you're an expert at watching TV? :confused:
Then you have actual expertise at something, namely watching TV. But if you only watch people watching TV on TV, then you're not an expert at watching TV, only watching TV watchers.

Let me try...

The disrespect point is really weird. You read these posts where people have these incredibly cast-in-stone opinions that are unchangable. And they get annoyed and disrespectful about the fact that another poster would dare to be the exact same way -- just with a different opinion.

The amount of time devoted to attempting to convince others, who will never be convinced, that one's opinion is better than the other's is hilarious. It also always follows the same trend -- by post 50 or so of any such thread, it just turns ad hominem. Or, equally likely, the people with unchangable opinions will instead start nitpicking the exact words used in the other's post to suggest they are "wrong" or "hypocricial" or "inconsistent." Seems like a massive clusterf*ck to me, but I suppose everyone finds their own form of entertainment.

The disrespect point is really weird. You read these posts where people have these incredibly cast-in-stone opinions that are unchangable. And they get annoyed and disrespectful about the fact that another poster would dare to be the exact same way -- just with a different opinion.

The amount of time devoted to attempting to convince others, who will never be convinced, that one's opinion is better than the other's is hilarious. It also always follows the same trend -- by post 50 or so of any such thread, it just turns ad hominem. Or, equally likely, the people with unchangable opinions will instead start nitpicking the exact words used in the other's post to suggest they are "wrong" or "hypocricial" or "inconsistent." Seems like a massive clusterf*ck to me, but I suppose everyone finds their own form of entertainment.
Yup, and being the internet, there's no decorum. Most people in person can disagree without being insulting, belligerent, or asses, but on the 'net people treat folks they don't know like dirt. I think part of it is knowing that the meathead you're insulting isn't going to smack you. Oh well, you know what they say about sticks and stones...

Yup, and being the internet, there's no decorum. Most people in person can disagree without being insulting, belligerent, or asses, but on the 'net people treat folks they don't know like dirt. I think part of it is knowing that the meathead you're insulting isn't going to smack you. Oh well, you know what they say about sticks and stones...

...or one man's hobby is another man's life. Oh dear.

Re: BB Apology?

Feel free to lay out the basis for your conclusion based on facts actually reported and not your suppositions. Your response to mgteich and his statement that, and I'll paraphrase, that Belichick acted like a vindictive schoolteacher, was "It won't matter. Most of the same people will still defend Belichick," and you have taken the position through repeated threads that Belichick was unreasonable for his actions. Here are the facts I have heard:

(1) it was snowing;
(2) Thomas called at some point Wednesday prior to arriving late that he was stuck in traffic;
(3) Belichick told them Monday they were to arrive early and plan on staying late after a bad loss;
(4) Certain younger players were seen laughing immediately after that loss;
(5) 4 players were sent home; and
(6) Belichick told Thomas personally he was going home.

Correct me if you know anything else by way of facts, specifically if any of the 4 had prior disciplinary issues, if the team had prior disciplinary issues this season, if Belichick was viewed by players as a stickler for his rules and thus players knew what to expect, or if the lockerroom flat-out appeared to not exhibit the degree of seriousness and focus expected of a winning team.

None of this is relevant to what I posted, since I was dealing with something specific in RayClay's post.

You simply appear to fill in the blanks for this situation and conclude he is wrong, while labeling anyone who supports Belichick's position as blindly voicing the "In Belichick We Trust" mantra. That's not called reason, it's called you don't like Belichick and are thus as biased as anyone who does defend him simply for who he is. Reason is based on facts, not conjecture. If you are in fact saying sending players home for a day for being tardy is per se wrong under every conceivable situation, then I am happy to refer you to basic managment theory that will strongly suggest otherwise, that your position is flatly incorrect. I don't claim Belchick was absolutely right because I do not know all the facts. The response could be excessive in a given set of circumstances and be unreasonable, but nobody knows. Many posters are simply accepting Belichick's decision over Thomas's objection to the decision based on the results Belichick has produced previously in managing this team and its players. That isn't blind allegiance, it's called listening to the guy who has exhibited a pattern of success.

No, it's called blind allegiance and/or using something minute to rail against Thomas for failing to achieve whatever level of play they happened to have had for him. There were people falling into both categories. As for "Basic management theory", please.... Even the biggest fool should be wise enough to know that not everyone makes it on time to work everyday, regardless of their level of laziness and their work habits, and that any absolute rule of this sort is guaranteed to produce bad results at times. Random chance alone insures this. Will you next claim that you think it's a great idea to send people home as a disciplinary move when they're late because someone rear-ended them at a traffic light and they had to wait on the police to file a report?

As for Moss, here's a theory as to why he was treated in the way he was: Moss is a special case as he has history and a position on this team, captain, that caused him to take a brutal beating in the media (unlike the others) after a bad game after someone leaked the decision that players were sent home and Moss was in the group. He may be hurt and playing through it, he may have other issues in his life that only the inner circle knows. Cris Carter had once stated on Inside the NFL, as someone who mentored Moss with the Vikings, that Moss needs his circle of trust and prior teams had not treated him in a way that they became family to him. The same guy called him (or his performance) pathetic that week in a public statement. Belichick doesn't have to hate sending Moss home as a consisent response to an infraction, but as he likely knows what Moss is doing during the week, as do all the players who said he is one of the hardest workers, it is done to tell Moss they believe in him and will defend him against the world. That makes him feel like family and in a group he can trust. But the fact you defend someone's work ethic or heart, a statement on who you are as a player over a career, necessarily says nothing about the decision to send him home on a single occasion in a consistent exercise of discretion to all involved.

The fact that you had to defend that player because he didn't give 100% effort and focus in the game after you sent him home demonstrates that your disciplinary action did not have the impact you hoped for. That's why RayClay's assertion of how things went down fails and your post is essentially irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back