PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NESN: BB apologized to four late players - report questioned by BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB Apology?

And regardless of what is said, most of the same people will decry his decisions.

Actions vs. Justifications.... apples and oranges.

How about apologizing to the fans for drafting the likes of Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson? And not having any LBs ready to go so we have to rely on castoffs? He should apologize for wasting this season, having a vanilla offense which is totally predictable.

So what exactly does he apologize for? I'm sorry for being harsh? I'm sorry I overreacted for you being late? I'm under a great deal of stress running this team, and some times I just get angry. Do you four think I'm pretty?

I can accept a hasty rush to judgment on the players by fans based on a single reported incident of tardiness. That really isn't much to go by for character assessments. There is nothing to suggest this violates any CBA interpretation. If you conclude otherwise, review the text of the Owens decision. Belichick did not make this issue public. He might regret the public scorn resulting from this incident as that was unintended, but I would be flat-out amazed if he apologizes for his decision to send them home. That would render every decision he makes subject to appeal by his players, so it would mean he now needs to rethink how he coaches and runs the team.

Agree 100%. Apologizing would be completely asinine, whatever you think of the original action.

Now, as to another poster's carrot/stick idea, that's not crazy, at least when it comes to guys who aren't named Thomas. You tear guys down and build 'em back up. In the case of Thomas, I'm not sure I would have played him again this year--but again, we don't know everything (or even very much) of what goes on behind closed doors.

How about apologizing to the fans for drafting the likes of Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson? And not having any LBs ready to go so we have to rely on castoffs? He should apologize for wasting this season, having a vanilla offense which is totally predictable.
He brought us 3 Superbowls and you want him to apologize ?

My goodness. If I were him I wouldn't apologize to you, I would tell you to kiss my ass.

Last edited:

1) don't actually put Bethel in the same column as CJ. Bethel had at least one very successful year with the NEP and was for that year, the most dangerous KR in the division and one of in the league. CJ was a plain old bust.

2) we had plenty of LB's and depth was not an issue, quality is and thats on both the coaches and the players

3) Predictable offense is certainly a justified complaint but they are still dangerous and look to be finally going more balanced. Actually out of all of this LoMo is having a quietly really good solid year and may MAY be finally turning the corner

And for the 3 Super Bowls he has won, and for the 9 straight years of 9+ wins, and for helping to turn a franchise that was a universal joke into a model for other teams, and for helping Bob Kraft grow his investment x10 since he bought the team, and...

My goodness. If I were him I wouldn't apologize to you, I would tell you to kiss my ass.

Well said!

Agree 100%. Apologizing would be completely asinine, whatever you think of the original action.

Now, as to another poster's carrot/stick idea, that's not crazy, at least when it comes to guys who aren't named Thomas. You tear guys down and build 'em back up. In the case of Thomas, I'm not sure I would have played him again this year--but again, we don't know everything (or even very much) of what goes on behind closed doors.

I think this this spot on. Only other reason for a mea culpa would be if he thought that he was losing the team, which seems like that is not the case.

By sometimes admitting when they are wrong, many great leaders of men have gotten more out of their soldiers than whip-cracking- one of them bring George Washington (who actually lost more battles than he won). As a millitary history buff, I'm sure BB is keenly aware of this.

Last edited:

I spoke to Muhammed Saeed and he confirmed the rumor. BB apologized and had Adalius' Bentley detailed and polished to atone for his mistake. He also gave him one of the cherished reserved parking spots right outside the practice facility !

I think this this spot on. Only other reason for a mea culpa would be if he thought that he was losing the team, which seems like that is not the case.

By sometimes admitting when they are wrong, many great leaders of men have gotten more out of their soldiers than whip-cracking- one of them bring George Washington (who actually lost more battles than he fought). As a millitary history buff, I'm sure BB is keenly aware of this.

You mean lost more than he won, right? Losing more than he fought would be really bad. :p

We're 9-5,the #3 seed and have a 2 game lead in the division................I want to apologize to the whole Patsfans Messageboard for having read your post...............it won't happen again.

If Bill felt he had to do this that says more about this team than it's HC. And not in a good way. Maybe it will get him more short term, but long term it's suicide. Unless of course he's intending to correct some errors in judgement he's made over the last couple of seasons including not just talent evaluation but evaluating character... in the offseason.

Last edited:

Actions vs. Justifications.... apples and oranges.

Indeed. As dissimilar as chalk and cheese. The guilty mind versus the deed.

And divorced from any argument these phrases all mean the same thing - precisely nothing. You could just as well quote Schwarzenegger with "I'll be back" and it would make as much sense.

The only fact anyone knows at this point is the action, so that is the only logical discussion point. Nobody claims to know an actual justification. Or you may be implying the response was unjustified, which fortunate for you can never be answered as nobody, including you, has a clue what actually transpired to this point, and Belichick will not explain an internal decision to the public. So speculate away that this was the first time any of these four had ever showed up late in their careers with the team and each fell into a glacial rift en route to practice and thus did their utmost to make it on time and Belichick was thus entirely unreasonable and unjustified in his response. It will make you feel a little more reasonable in your apparent conclusion.

It is also worthwhile to point out, in the event he ever made a statement at all, that if he said he "regrets the public scorn or backlash" rather than "I apologize for the action," those two phrases are distinctly dissimilar in import. The former just means the extra beating by the public was unfortunate and unintended, no more. It can also mean the players can thank Thomas for the extra media exposure.

Indeed. As dissimilar as chalk and cheese. The guilty mind versus the deed.

And divorced from any argument these phrases all mean the same thing - precisely nothing. You could just as well quote Schwarzenegger with "I'll be back" and it would make as much sense.

The only fact anyone knows at this point is the action, so that is the only logical discussion point. Nobody claims to know an actual justification. Or you may be implying the response was unjustified, which fortunate for you can never be answered as nobody, including you, has a clue what actually transpired to this point, and Belichick will not explain an internal decision to the public. So speculate away that this was the first time any of these four had ever showed up late in their careers with the team and each fell into a glacial rift en route to practice and thus did their utmost to make it on time and Belichick was thus entirely unreasonable and unjustified in his response. It will make you feel a little more reasonable in your apparent conclusion.

It is also worthwhile to point out, in the event he ever made a statement at all, that if he said he "regrets the public scorn or backlash" rather than "I apologize for the action," those two phrases are distinctly dissimilar in import. The former just means the extra beating by the public was unfortunate and unintended, no more. It can also mean the players can thank Thomas for the extra media exposure.

None of this is relevant to either of the posts I made, so I don't know what to tell you beyond "Have a great week!". So....

Have a great week!

By sometimes admitting when they are wrong, many great leaders of men have gotten more out of their soldiers than whip-cracking- one of them bring George Washington (who actually lost more battles than he won). As a millitary history buff, I'm sure BB is keenly aware of this.

To clarify a bit--even though, again, it's pretty much impossible to really know what's going on in the Pats locker room--I really don't think Belichick apologized to the team, nor should he have. I do think that if a leader disciplines/brings down his players/workers/soldiers, he should then make a point of building the back up again. Guys will kill for you then. It's all in how the leader does it.

But with a guy like Thomas who takes a "eff you" approach to the boss, all that's usually left is to cut him loose. That's why, barring something happening we're not aware of, I was surprised to see Thomas playing yesterday.

We're 9-5,the #3 seed and have a 2 game lead in the division................I want to apologize to the whole Patsfans Messageboard for having read your post...............it won't happen again.

Apology accepted Captain Needa. [/vader]

No one knows precisely what (if anything) was said or the context in which the alleged comments were offered.

It might be important to consider who the sources are (and what their agenda might be). More often than not, those who leak information to the press have an ax to grind. The problem is that one side of the story gets leaked. We all know that Belichick will never respond publicly, so the other side remains untold. This is case the with the inital incident as well as the alleged "apology."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes