Welcome to PatsFans.com

NEM, your Hobbs' wager, are you for real?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Box_O_Rocks, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=321761&postcount=49
    You offered this bet to Sooner, here's your chance to get me off the forum for the 2007 season, I'm willing to take this bet if we can agree on the ground rules:

I'll take your bet, providing the reason Hobbs does not start is because he was either cut from the team or loses his starting job to another player in Training Camp. If he is injured or suspended by the NFL, then the wager is nullified. Samuel's status with the team has no bearing on the wager. The losing wager prevents that member from posting on this or any other Patriots' forum during the 2007 NFL season which ends with the beginning of Free Agency in 2008. I believe this was the intent of your wager with Sooner, do you agree to these conditions? Are you willing to make this bet with me? Or are you just talking out your backside again.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'll take it too. You can get rid of me and Box for a year each - or you're gone for two :)

3. Oswlek

Oswlek Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 14 / -4

While I think NEM would be foolish to take your bet, I think that the bolded section should be removed. If Hobbs is beaten out in training camp doesn't that mean that he is not as good as people think, ergo NEM is correct?

4. mikiemo83

mikiemo83 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

so it only works if Hobbs is cut not replaced - hell he'll be on the roster next season no matter what so it needs to be not starting and the language should remain the same

5. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +315 / 3 / -3

I've been on message boards a long time, yet I've never understood the appeal of these "Loser Leaves Town" matches.

6. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

There are multiple possibilities to cause Hobbs not start at CB in the 2007 opener. The item you bolded is one of the two possibilities I understood to meet NEM's criteria - if Hobbs is such a poor CB, then he will be cut from the team or lose his starter's job to another CB - any other possibility involves factors not related to Hobbs' performance.

EDIT: By the way, this is NEM's bet. I'm just the poor sap he's going to take advantage of with his vast knowledge of football - as for foolish, we are talking about NEM aren't we?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  7. Oswlek

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 14 / -4

I guess I misread it. I thought it was saying that Hobbs losing his job in training camp would dsiqualify the bet, and that seemed odd.

8. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

I haven't had such a good laugh in 9 days.......

9. Oswlek

Ratings:
    +1,365 / 14 / -4

Misread. See above post.

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

The point is, we don't think NEM is correct. The only thing that would concern me about this is how Belichick sometimes matches guys up and there's a small chance that Hobbs could still be "the starter" but not actually be on the field the first play due to a matchup against, say, a big WR - but as he played 1-1 against the solidly sized Wayne, that's a very unlikely scenario.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Consider it a public service :)

12. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +575 / 22 / -26

It's showdown at the OK Corral!

13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

If it is then the snow falling outside is out of character for the Community!

Actually Fixit, it isn't a loser leaves town, it's more of an extended winter vacation. :cool:

14. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

can someone explain to me what Nem's problem with Hobbs is?

I thought Hobbs played great against Indy.

15. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +575 / 22 / -26

Actually, I'm surprised by casual nature of NEM's bet. I'd figure with his aristocratic attitude, the response would be more like "pistols at twenty paces".

16. ATippett56

Ratings:
    +575 / 22 / -26

17. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +121 / 3 / -2

#95 Jersey

Make it something much better in the bet. To not post for a certain amount of time is bad, its "out of site, out of mind".

I propose the battling sides write a SIG and avatar for the other. These must be posted before hand. The loser(s) must display that sig and avatar for all of next season....

18. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's for those of us who don't like fighting and killing in real life. Rather than having to get involved in real fights, where people get hurt, we can do stuff like this and nobody actually gets hurt. It's not my thing, personally, but I can see where they are coming from.

Oh, and for the record, I think that Hobbs will be one of our starting corners (as in base 3-4) next season.

19. everlong

everlong Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +303 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

What's to stop the loser from registering as NOT-NEM or Carton_Of_Pebbles and posting up a storm?

I don't know why everybody needs others to agree with them. The boards are supposed to be a way to exchange ideas.

Just agree to disagree, until one person is proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Like Brady vs Bledsoe.............can I get a holla from all those who think Drew is better............... (silence)...................... (silence)...........

20. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +454 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is a waste of time.

I offered a deal to NEM a week or so ago. I offered that if the majority of posters on this board thought that McDaniels was not a qualified NFL OC (as he claimed), I would not post or start any thread regarding the OC or play calling,ever.

But, if the majority of posters on this board thought that he was a qualified NFL OC, he would not post anythng regarding the OC or play calling,ever. A poll was to done for a week and bumped so everyone had a chance to vote.

He ignored my offer and then ignored it again when I restated that offer. So, I don't think he will take you up on this.