PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEM has been banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little learning is a dangerous thing indeed. If NEM were banned because of his membership in a protected class, then the court decision could be argued to apply, probably unsucessfully. He was not banned because of race, religion, creed or natonal origin. He was not banned because of his veteran status. He wasn't banned because of his age or sexual orientation. Why was banned. I haven't a clue. If Ian chooses to share, then I will read and perhaps comment. Until then, for me, this Ian's board, and he can give us whatever reasons he wants.

This forum isn't a democracy is it?

I dont remember voting for Ian to run this board - he is in charge and what he says goes.

I think that even the ambulance chasing Legal eagles of America would be hard pushed to make a case out of this one.

If you dont like it - move on.

Its really as simple as that.

NM

Someone in this thread (above) said that NEM could change his behavior. I'm not so sure. After he apologized, he made a valiant effort, I thought, really admirable. But the taunting didn't stop and eventually, he responded, all out of proportion as usual.

I don't think NEM should be banned. I think those who are offended by him should use the ignore feature. If they don't, if they engage him instead, and then complain about what they get, then it's hard to sympathize with them.

I believe that there are those here who see themselves as Matadors and NEM as the bull and that they're hoping to demonstrate their strength and skill by vanquishing him. I do not find this admirable. I do not think that this kind of "bring it on" behavior makes the board better. Just the reverse.

There are those who feel they have been insulted by NEM, who feel that they are the victims of vicious attacks. I say ho hum and so what? Has anyone genuinely been harmed? If so, outside of the thunderstorm inside their own heads, where's the evidence? I also feel that those who tell us they've been harmed by NEM have given at least as good as they've got.

The bottom line is that all of this is juvenile, and the participants are not adults, but juvenile delinquents, at least on this board. One hopes that they are adults in real life.

Ian, the power is yours. I think that you have been very judicious in the way you use it, but I also think NEM is a special case. He's messy, impulsive, profane and highly annoying. But he has his good points as well, as other posters to this thread of pointed out. Most of all, I think, he's ours.

When I say that I don't think NEM should be banned, I'm not just thinking of us. I'm thinking of NEM. For most of us, a ban would be embarassing and distressing. For NEM, I suspect it is devastating. I, for one, am not willing to do that to another human being, at least not for sins committed by typing.

"Anti Spam would be exercising my right of not listening to someone I did not care to." - Define "Hypocracy".

It IS exactly the same. Just like your blocking unwanted spam from your private computer, Ian is blocking what is unwanted by him from his private website. Just like you with the unwanted spammers, Ian is not stopping NEM from "trying to send" his messages either. Both situations are blockers.

I neither agree nor disagree with the NEM ban. I've always enjoyed the old coot like a crazy Uncle in the attic kind of thing. He means well, but this is Ian's site and Ian has been more than patient with him where several other websites (for those of you who don't know NEM's illustrious history) haven't been.

If Ian wakes up tomorrow and hates the way my poster name begins with a lower case "s", guess what? He can ban me! You bet! And further, I could complain all I want, but this is his site and that is his prerogative.

Ian can rightfully ban anyone anytime on this, his, website - - we are here as his guests...... except Tom Casale and his four fake posternames!

Good explanation. Thanks. I guess many of us take it for granted that this is a free fansite on the internet and don't realize that this is somebody's private website. Guess it is similar to what we would do to oddly behaving guests in our home.

My 2 cents: everyone is entitled to their opinion and every website owner can allow/disallow persons from posting comments.

NEM looks to be very passionate Pats fan and doesn't hesitate to give out his analysis and thoughts as frequently as possible. I don't care that he blasts the OC on every single scenario because I know that's where he is coming from. As many have pointed out, I can ignore his comments whenever I feel like. But to ban him completely gives a weird depressing feeling to fans like me outside NE who rely on such excellent websites and fans to get my daily dose of the Pats.

If his comments are that offensive, how about routing all of NEM's comments to one of the moderators and allow the moderator to post it after screening? This is not an outright ban and certain not democratic, but this is after all a private website.

Not sure if this has been tried given the history of this issue...

Or it's an old act from NEM that has been repeated across multiple message boards and have resulted in multiple permanent bans. Each time it happens, he plays the "woe is me" card instead of taking responsibility and looking at his own actions that led to the actions taken against him.

Can you elaborate? I ask this out of curiosity to know more because I didn't know that NEM was banned many times earlier.

Unless Ian sheds more light, most of us (who wanted to focus on the Pats game and football during the regular season) who ignored the angry retorts between NEM vs. Others will have no idea what kind of 'actions' should NEM be ashamed off.

Wow, this is amazing. So if I get enough posters together and single out one poster that I don't agree with and continuously attack him, there is a good chance he could be banned too? :rocker: Funny how the people responsible are somehow missing from this thread. I'm not a huge NEM fan myself and have had some pretty big battles with him but I have learned to ignore him and definately don't see a reason why he should have been banned.

Can you elaborate? I ask this out of curiosity to know more because I didn't know that NEM was banned many times earlier.

Unless Ian sheds more light, most of us (who wanted to focus on the Pats game and football during the regular season) who ignored the angry retorts between NEM vs. Others will have no idea what kind of 'actions' should NEM be ashamed off.

NEM was banned at KFFL and relegated to the Assclown forum at Patriots Planet, during the dos attack here a couple of months ago. In both cases it was always people out to get poor NEM. I don't care one way or the other but at a certain point NEM has to look in the mirror and think why wherever he goes he in conflict with others to the point that he is banned. Are all the other people at all the other forums the problem or is it NEM?

Wow, this is amazing. So if I get enough posters together and single out one poster that I don't agree with and continuously attack him, there is a good chance he could be banned too? :rocker: Funny how the people responsible are somehow missing from this thread. I'm not a huge NEM fan myself and have had some pretty big battles with him but I have learned to ignore him and definately don't see a reason why he should have been banned.

Are you really saying innocent old NEM was arbitrarily attacked by a gang of posters?
Look, we do not even know he was banned. But if he was, it was for CONDUCT, not because his opinions were unpopular.

If he has been banned, and if so the reason is not known right now, so you are correct in saying you dont see the reason, but I think its pretty obvious that NEM does a lot of things that are a negative contribution to this board.

Your post makes it sound like you think people ganged up on him for no reason. Surely you understand an agitator creates many of their own problems.

Someone in this thread (above) said that NEM could change his behavior. I'm not so sure.
That was me. Hold on to your hat because I'm using your post as springboard for my argument.
After he apologized, he made a valiant effort, I thought, really admirable. But the taunting didn't stop and eventually, he responded, all out of proportion as usual.

I don't think NEM should be banned. I think those who are offended by him should use the ignore feature. If they don't, if they engage him instead, and then complain about what they get, then it's hard to sympathize with them.

I believe that there are those here who see themselves as Matadors and NEM as the bull and that they're hoping to demonstrate their strength and skill by vanquishing him. I do not find this admirable. I do not think that this kind of "bring it on" behavior makes the board better. Just the reverse.

There are those who feel they have been insulted by NEM, who feel that they are the victims of vicious attacks. I say ho hum and so what? Has anyone genuinely been harmed? If so, outside of the thunderstorm inside their own heads, where's the evidence? I also feel that those who tell us they've been harmed by NEM have given at least as good as they've got.

The bottom line is that all of this is juvenile, and the participants are not adults, but juvenile delinquents, at least on this board. One hopes that they are adults in real life.

Ian, the power is yours. I think that you have been very judicious in the way you use it, but I also think NEM is a special case. He's messy, impulsive, profane and highly annoying. But he has his good points as well, as other posters to this thread of pointed out. Most of all, I think, he's ours.

When I say that I don't think NEM should be banned, I'm not just thinking of us. I'm thinking of NEM. For most of us, a ban would be embarassing and distressing. For NEM, I suspect it is devastating. I, for one, am not willing to do that to another human being, at least not for sins committed by typing.
I think this thread demonstrates why NEM is such a successful poster on this site. He has convinced many on this board to accept him as "messy, impulsive, profane and highly annoying," while people who go toe-to-toe with him are "Matadors" with whom "it's hard to sympathize." In the rarefied air of this logic a poster with 20,000 posts and a "Hall of Fame" ranking on this board is "a special case" whose "valiant effort" is an aborted attempt to not hijack every last thread on this board.

Having people who like posters like NEM and people who don't like posters like NEM leads to strange contusions of logic like this:

Thesis: Posters cannot be hurt by what happens on a message board.
There are those who feel they have been insulted by NEM, who feel that they are the victims of vicious attacks. I say ho hum and so what? Has anyone genuinely been harmed?

Antithesis: Posters can be hurt by what happens on a message board.
When I say that I don't think NEM should be banned, I'm not just thinking of us. I'm thinking of NEM. For most of us, a ban would be embarrassing and distressing. For NEM, I suspect it is devastating. I, for one, am not willing to do that to another human being, at least not for sins committed by typing.

This last part confuses me. What, apart from typing "sins," can go wrong on a message board? Maybe if I posted a video of me cussing out another poster it wouldn't be "typing" per se, but that's a really esoteric way to destroy a board's decorum. If posters should be judged on anything, it should be on what they type: anything else is irrelevant to their worth on a board, unless they administrate or moderate it. Does NEM do either?

Really, the only question that needs to be asked about NEM or any other poster is "Is their presence good for the forum?" I'm not sure of the answer yet. I don't think Ian is either, which is why temporary and limited bans are handed out instead of the ol' kick in the ass.

Do you actually think poster complaints against NEM is a new phenomenon? Posters have continually complained about NEM for years. If you think that alone is what caused Ian's decision, I have some land off the coast of Iowa to sell you.

I think NEM is just staved for attention...and he create these things to draw attention to himself. I don't really care if he is banned or not...i read everything that is posted whether it is garbage or not. I do think NEM needs a life outside this forum and he is acting out unhealthy behaviors.

Honestly I find this entire thing childish.

I have no problem with NEM or with Box_o_Rocks and I find that both post some good stuff that I enjoy reading, although I've never been able to figure out who his posse is or if they actually exist. Maybe he's Kaiser Sosay.....and like that Poof! the devil was gone........but I digress.

If people are putting his much negative energy, on both sides of the fence, into this issue they need to get a life. This is supposed to be a fun little escape where you get to talk about the Pats for a while and get away from the real world. If you're letting some poster or small group of posters get to you......perhaps it's time to step back.

This isn't Iraq people.

/rant

Your post makes it sound like you think people ganged up on him for no reason. Surely you understand an agitator creates many of their own problems.

That's exactly what I think happened because it's happened to me too. It wasn't a case of me trying to be an agitator so much as me having a differing opinion and some people on this board not being able to accept that.

That's exactly what I think happened because it's happened to me too. It wasn't a case of me trying to be an agitator so much as me having a differing opinion and some people on this board not being able to accept that.

Were you banned?

The difference is it happened to you once or twice, because people disagreed with your opinion.
With NEM it happens repeatedly because of the way he conducts himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back