PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Neil deGrasse Tyson - Admits Mea Culpa -While Still Not Quite Getting it Right

"A delightfully moot point" ? No one's concerned with the truth. They just want to inflate their EGO by deflating the Pats.

Well scientist are wrong sometimes. At least he owns up when he finds he made a mistake. That is what separates good scientist with bad scientist. Willingness to go with the best evidence possible even if it conflicts with initial findings or preconceived notions.

However still made a mistake in not adjusting for the rain. I would hope he post another amendment if that is brought to his attention. Also if the PSI different is closer to 1 than 2 which some reports say it puts it even more in line of natural deflation.

I don't think anyone can easily account for that.

He is still wrong then. he is taking the absolute pressure into effect, what a moron. You have to inclde the air pressure in the calculation. Hrd to believe he has a PHD in physics frankly.

Can you explain what you mean by including air pressure in the calculation? Link?

I made the mistake of reading his Twitter feed or whatever. It's like a cult. I retract everything I said. I pray towards the Degrasse every full moon. Now please don't track me down and make a skin suit out of me.

I don't think anyone can easily account for that.
Well, they can with a wet football and a fridge. But fair enough, it's difficult to know how to calculate. But not knowing how to calculate does not = claiming its not a factor, or ignoring it and claiming you have the answer.

Another guy I've never heard of and would have been happy if I hadn't. Twitter and blogs are the new American grafitti.

He's a groundbreaking astrophysicist who brought racism to the forefront in the scientific community. Probably why he reacted so hastily and without much forethought (strange for a scientist, eh?) when Bob Kraft , Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the racist Boston area dared to venture into his scientific fiefdom.

All of this s### gives me an ice cream headache. What makes their opinions more credible than the chairperson of the Boston College school of physics who said BB was spot on?

All of this s### gives me an ice cream headache. What makes their opinions more credible than the chairperson of the Boston College school of physics who said BB was spot on?

read my quote above yours...

It's been tough for me to read Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye the Science Guy dismiss the weather conditions and the temperature differential as the primary causes of Deflate Gate. I had my doubts when it was reported the balls were 2 psi under regulation, the Colts' balls were just fine, and the balls stayed fine after reinflation at halftime.

But now it looks like (most) the balls only dropped 1 psi and they started closer to 12.5, if they were gage measured at all to begin with. We need hard numbers t0 do the math.

Even using the false 15% 90 degrees could be pretty close to the realms of possible.

Say the room is 72, the air in the pump has a bit of extra heat in it and then add the heat caused by the friction in the rubbing down process.

NDG used the wrong numbers but the air in the ball being 90 could actually be fairly close to an actual number.

But you'd probably get a more realistic number if you worked from 7.5% and not 15%.

This is correct however sue to the tiny mass of the air inserted into the ball this effect will be masked by the heat capacity of the solids in the bladder and ball leather.

This is probably I flunked my exam of football inflating in high school chemistry. Never took these factors into effect.

I officially know way too much about football inflation. I could say a week ago I could say there are scientists who have forgotten more on this subject I will ever know. Now I wish I could just forget all I know on this subject.

See the post by Palm Beach Pats Fan in the Folks we have a hero here thread.

As to the massive mistake by Tyson this blog covers it.

http://www.avclub.com/article/neil-degrasse-tyson-bungles-science-deflate-gate-s-214373

That blog also arrives at 87F initial temperature; I was pretty crude in my work. If you just use the gas law, that is what you end up with if you take the initial pressure to be 13 psi at 75 F and the final pressure to be 11 Psi at 50F. The missing factor for Tyson and myself is real world effects of wetness, deformation etc which you can only see from experiment.

It's been tough for me to read Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye the Science Guy dismiss the weather conditions and the temperature differential as the primary causes of Deflate Gate. I had my doubts when it was reported the balls were 2 psi under regulation, the Colts' balls were just fine, and the balls stayed fine after reinflation at halftime.

But now it looks like (most) the balls only dropped 1 psi and they started closer to 12.5, if they were gage measured at all to begin with. We need hard numbers t0 do the math.

At least DeGrasse actually used science (even if incorrect science) to back up his claims. Bill Nye's argument against Belichick was just embarrassing even if it was for for an argument on validity of a junior high school experiment. I mean Nye's strongest argument that Belichick's explanation was wrong was "Go Seahawks!".

He's a groundbreaking astrophysicist who brought racism to the forefront in the scientific community. Probably why he reacted so hastily and without much forethought (strange for a scientist, eh?) when Bob Kraft , Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the racist Boston area dared to venture into his scientific fiefdom.
Argh, plenty of other scientists disagree with Tyson, we disagree with Tyson, but I'm pretty sure neither his race nor Boston's racial history has anything to do with his rejection of the Patriots explanation.

That blog also arrives at 87F initial temperature; I was pretty crude in my work. If you just use the gas law, that is what you end up with if you take the initial pressure to be 13 psi at 75 F and the final pressure to be 11 Psi at 50F. The missing factor for Tyson and myself is real world effects of wetness, deformation etc which you can only see from experiment.

That is why I post the vid of the experiment done by the people at Head smart labs. Easiest to follow explanation I have seen.

As @Patters was commenting in another thread, the only real opposition to the science has been from these two television personalities.

Having Tyson admit publicly that he made a mistake in his calculations was rather a big deal I thought.. it just wasn't as much as I was hoping it was going to be.

Nye's interview and subsequent video just has to be a joke. I'm thinking they were both meant to be taken tongue in cheek with his Go Seahawks exclamation at the end being the punchline that is supposed to reveal his terribly unscientific observations as nothing more than biased hot air.

Last edited:
That is why I post the vid of the experiment done by the people at Head smart labs. Easiest to follow explanation I have seen.

Agreed. Using gas laws when there is direct experimental evidence is dumb.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back