PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Needs in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handel

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Not in order of need:

QB: Since Cassell will probably be the established backup QB, we could need a rookie as 3rd string. Not a high priority since it could be a veteran too.

WR: A late round WR to add some depth.

TE: Since Graham could leave, we should need a replacement. Anyway, we draft a TE each year.

DE: If Marquise Hill busts, we need some depth behind Seymour, Warren and Green.

LB: Starters are becoming "old" and depth is unproven or perennial STer. We need young guns at this position, especially inside.

CB: I don't know. Belichick seems to prefer to get veteran at this spot (Stuarks, Warfield, Chad Scott, etc.), I wonder if we will draft a CB next year. We have some young adequate if not solid CBs in Samuel, Hobbs and cool. Maybe another midround rookie would be enough.

I concur. I'm interested what LB will turn up next year.

i think the Pats should take Rufus Alexander (Oklahoma LB) in the first round (obviously depending on how he does this year) and a DB in the 2nd round. 3rd round could be another linebacker also. anything on defense except the defensive line would be fine with me.

I'm not sure a late-round depth WR is going to cut it. We'll likely be minus Branch, and possibly minus Brown. We don't know diddly about Jackson yet. We're going to need a high pick at WR unless we make a pitch at some free agents.

dryheat44 said:
I'm not sure a late-round depth WR is going to cut it.

What, someone like David Givens or Troy Brown?

rookBoston said:
What, someone like David Givens or Troy Brown?

Or PK Sam or Tony Gaiter. It seems foolish to assume that we can address our #2 WR with a 7th round pick or UDFA

Last edited by a moderator:
I think WR will be the most likely position to be drafted drafted on day 1.

LB will be a need, but BB is VERY selective about his linebackers. Given our draft history, I'm not convinced we'd do LB early in the draft.

A CB/S is very likely is any BB draft, he drafts one on day 1 almost every year.

C could be a need if Koppen goes.

I think the focus will be safety and CB help. They will get someone from FA to solidify the lb'ing core

2006 list is still good
--------------------
WR, ILB, CB depth, S depth, and maybe a C

We are great drafters. What does it say when 2007 needs are the same as 2006. My conclusion is that we really don't draft for need, or we posters aren't very good at assessing need.

Seems focus has been on Offense the past couple years, now time to turn focus on Defense... I agree LB, CB and Safety are at the top of my list.

And with lots of picks, we can trade to get quality over quantity.

LB, WR, DB, OL, QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back