PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Need travel planning tips/input

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Bong

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
So I'm planning my trip to attend my first Pats game at Gillette on 10/8 against the Dolphins.

Right now I've found reasonable airfare (Long Beach, CA to Logan) on Jetblue arriving Friday early morning (red-eye) on Friday 10/6 and leaving on Monday afternoon giving us three and a half days.

For hotel I'm looking at booking the Hilton (formerly Wyndham) in the Financial District at a good rate of $117/night on Hotwire (figured out which hotel it is through message boards)

Before I book the hotel, I wanted to make sure this location makes sense for us. The address is: 89 Broad Street, Boston, MA 02110

It would just be my wife and I and we've both been to Boston a couple of times (we're originally from Hawaii).
We figured our general itinerary would be:
Friday - sightsee / tourist stuff in the city
Saturday - get a rental car and drive out to see fall foliage (right time?)
Sunday - GAME DAY!!
Monday - Pats apparel shopping & more sightseeing til we leave

Does it make sense to stay in this location with this agenda? I'd prefer not to move hotels just because its nice to kind of settle in just once.

What would you suggest for getting to Foxboro for the game?

Parking at the hotel is $38/day so if we got a car for Saturday and Sunday I'd consider returning it and checking it again on a separate reservation unless cheaper parking can be found in the area (it would be on a weekend so I would think that's a possibility)

I'd like to get to Foxboro very early on Sunday so there's plenty of time to tailgate (with Mrs. B, Zip and the Razor's Edge crew?), hit the Pro Shop and walk around the stadium before the game kicks off. I believe I've read that when taking the train, you only have a limited amount of time after the game to get out so I'm leaning toward driving even with the $35 parking fee.

Or maybe one of you would be willing to pick us up, go early and stay late in exchange for me paying for parking, gas & tailgate grub & booze? Ideally I'd rather not deal with driving directions, figuring out where I can buy beer on a Sunday, getting a cooler and all the other logistical stuff involved if someone is already doing that and has room for a couple more and doesn't have to go too far out of their way to pick us up (even from a T or train station).

I realize I'm all over the place with my thoughts but I'm just hoping that some of you may have ideas and tips to make attending my first game since the new stadium a little more enjoyable and that I can keep the logistics of getting around as low-stress as possible.

Thanks in advance

Boston is a small city and easy to get around with the T so I dont think your hotel location will be a problem.

As far as going leaf peeping, that's still a little early for Mass and Southern NH. You would probably have to drive a couple hours North of Boston to see anything. If you are going to do this, while in New Hampshire, buy your beer there. It is so much cheaper there than in Mass.

As far as going to the game, it will probably take you about an hour to get to the stadium, depending on traffic. The gates open up 4 hours before gametime and close 2 hours after the game ends.

Finally, sorry cant give you a ride. Thats the one game I'm not going to because of another commitment.

Have fun and have a safe trip.

Last edited:
Hilton/Wyndham is a awesome . Great location with plenty to do within walking distance. It is a an old art deco hotel that they restored and it is literally a 30 second walk from my office building. Pm me when the date is closer and we could meet for a ****tail. If you are willing to walk (10 to 15 minutes) you can park for $9 at the federal couthouse on the waterfront. Also can park for free at meters on sunday if you want to drive around and be patient. If traveling light take the water taxi to Rowes wharf for a dramatic entrance. Short walk 5/7 minutes to hotel. I will have to check with my squad at Buffalo game if we can add two more for Miami. We park at P-10 rv lot with a big spread but unfortunately it is not my rv so I would have to ask if it is OK. If you have specific questions/directions PM me . Hope this is helpful.

Since you know which hotel you want to stay at, I suggest calling them directly instead of going through Hotwire. You'll pay less. Also, after they give you their rates, you can save an additional 10-15% by inquiring about their corporate rates.

Good location. Use Google maps and select hybrid for a birds eye view of your location. It's a short walk to the touristy but still nice Quincy Market area and an easy stroll from there across what was the expressway pre-Big Dig to the Boston waterfront. Use the easily accessable MBTA subway, NOT your car, to go see other areas of Boston like the Public Gardens and shoping with the beautiful people on Newbury street. MBTA routes are on line and probably a map is available from your concierge.

At that date there is color in MA but it's before peak.

You're right about the train limiting tailgate opportunities. Allow 60+ minutes travel time (including traffic at the stadium) and plan to arrive by 11AM for a 1PM game. Zip breaks down the tailgate about an hour before kickoff. Say hello to Zip (Randy) & Mrs B (Karen) for me as I don't have tix to that game. I'll be in Italy.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info everyone.

Sounds like there's no reason I shouldn't book the Hilton as well as my flight so that's the main thing right now.

As the dates get closer I'll probably have more questions but in the mean time feel free to continue providing any comments or suggestions.

Thanks again

Hye SoCal -
Just cause I moved to Dallas doesn't mean I forgot my roots.

As for getting to the game, there is a Train that runs out of South Station to the game. The only problem is that it leaves 45 minutes after the game is over.

Anyways, sounds like you and the wife have a great location set up and will definitely enjoy.

As for leaf peeping, email me prior to your leaving and I will let you know what is going on up there since my parents are still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back