PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Need More Proof That The Sox Globe Campaigns Against The Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding. The Internet has only made things worse. Pre-Internet, journalism had a fair degree of integrity.
I half agree and half disagree. I think when it comes to politics, world events and serious stuff, the internet has made things far better. If it wasn't for the internet we would have never heard of Monica Lewinsky.

However in the sports world, the internet makes journalism worse. The biggest loudmouths saying the most idiotic things are the guys getting the most attention and the most "clicks." Journalists in the sports world get rewarded for being loudmouth morons.

The Globe would love for the Brady/Pats relationship to end poorly.. as it would provide controversy i.e. increased interest.

I doubt Mr. Kraft and family will let this happen.. Brady will be involved with this franchise for a very long time...

In a time when facebook likes or twitter followers are used to gauge success or failure, contrarians rule the day..

The Sox have absolutely Nobody in the system with big-league power potential. That is inexcusable.
And unfortunately for them, they cannot field a team of 25 pitchers. If they could, then their future would indeed be bright.

It's easier to piece together some power in a lineup through trades and free agency than it is to find top of the rotation pitching. Obviously you'd like to have both in your farm system, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'm taking the young arms in the farm over the big bats.

It's easier to piece together some power in a lineup through trades and free agency than it is to find top of the rotation pitching. Obviously you'd like to have both in your farm system, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'm taking the young arms in the farm over the big bats.

Absolutely agree. There's a real absence of power in the big leagues now (with the steroids flushed, for the most part). The only power hitters who have been hitting the market are older...and connected with steroids (Nelson Cruz).

This year's Red Sox team is what a lot of us expected last year's team to look like. They just wouldn't stop winning last year. I don't think last year's team was nearly as good as the outcome, but this year's team isn't nearly as bad as they look. At some point, you have to put in the Bradleys, the Bogearts, the Vasquezes, the Workmans, the De La Rosas, etc. so that you can actually see what you have.

I rarely comment on writers however.......

This is comical considering as a society today we are bringing up a generation that are such sore losers that everyone has to get a trophy and they have had to eliminate shaking hands at the end of sports because of kids getting into fights.

I would bet anything Joseph Kahn has kids that fit the mold perfectly. These kids are never shown what losing even is and then when something in their life goes wrong they shoot up a school.

Also, Joseph, what is more petty, BB commenting on Welkers hit on Talib (which took him out of the game) or a "pushing" penalty (which had never been called before) called against the Pats VS the Jets last year which cost us not only the game but perhaps a trip to the superbowl.

Last edited:
or called since that game

Exactly. I can just imagine Goodell up in the booth "My Jets are losing...what can we do to stop the Mean Pats....Phone down to the officials and just call anything you can"

JOKE

I didn't know people still relied on local newspapers for sports coverage. Why? News now gets disseminated in milliseconds, analyzed within minutes, and removed from the headlines the next hour. The only point of the Sunday Globe is to wad up when packing glasses in moving boxes.
And don't get me started on Boston.com. The freebie version of the Globe is such a waste of bandwidth with their "vanilla lite" coverage of all sports...again why bother.

On a somewhat similar note, I noticed two headlines in the links above right next to each other yesterday. One was from the Herald: Brandon Browner has size, power to help Patriots turn the corner; the Globe's headline was titled Richard Sherman Sounds off on Former Teammate Brandon Browner.

I was curious; how could it be that two stories about Browner have such different headlines? One implied a very positive column, and the other looked to be just the opposite.

It turns out that the headline in the Herald was a short blog entry, linking to an earlier feature piece based on an interview by Jeff Howe with Richard Sherman, talking about Browner. Sherman was very positive about Browner and what he would bring to the Patriots. The Globe article was based strictly on the column by Howe. It implied something completely different by using the phrase 'sounds off', making me think that Sherman must have had something negative to say about Browner. Turns out that wasn't the case - his quotes couldn't really be twisted that way - but for anybody that didn't click on the link and read the story, it certainly could have left you with a negative feeling about Browner.

Sometimes it is the writer, sometimes it is the editor who writes the headline. Either way, there is directive - written or implied - coming from management above. Regardless if it is to sensationalize in order to draw readers, or as an agenda to shape public opinion, it's up to us as consumers to have an open mind and not accept everything as unbiased reporting without an opinion or other motives. Perhaps this is part of a plan by the Globe to attract more readers - but for me personally, it's backfiring.

On a somewhat similar note, I noticed two headlines in the links above right next to each other yesterday. One was from the Herald: Brandon Browner has size, power to help Patriots turn the corner; the Globe's headline was titled Richard Sherman Sounds off on Former Teammate Brandon Browner.

I was curious; how could it be that two stories about Browner have such different headlines? One implied a very positive column, and the other looked to be just the opposite.

It turns out that the headline in the Herald was a short blog entry, linking to an earlier feature piece based on an interview by Jeff Howe with Richard Sherman, talking about Browner. Sherman was very positive about Browner and what he would bring to the Patriots. The Globe article was based strictly on the column by Howe. It implied something completely different by using the phrase 'sounds off', making me think that Sherman must have had something negative to say about Browner. Turns out that wasn't the case - his quotes couldn't really be twisted that way - but for anybody that didn't click on the link and read the story, it certainly could have left you with a negative feeling about Browner.

Sometimes it is the writer, sometimes it is the editor who writes the headline. Either way, there is directive - written or implied - coming from management above. Regardless if it is to sensationalize in order to draw readers, or as an agenda to shape public opinion, it's up to us as consumers to have an open mind and not accept everything as unbiased reporting without an opinion or other motives. Perhaps this is part of a plan by the Globe to attract more readers - but for me personally, it's backfiring.

How far are people going to let their paranoia go? I don't doubt that the Globe has biases, since it's a newspaper, and they all have biases (the idea that they used to have integrity is laughable). But, thinking there's a "gotcha" because BB's bad handling of a situation was noted in an article about people doing just that, or because a headline was misunderstood by the reader?

You didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. You had to go under the barrel. Yeah, the Globe's got a vendetta against Milan Lucic, too, because he was also mentioned in a piece about poor losers.

Sheesh.

I Agree and OT but you know what the bottom of the barrel truly is. Running to the media when someone says something to you in the handshakes at the end of a hockey game. What is this, 5th grade?

I cant imagine that was the first time someone said something off color to a opponent in the lines. Not like the NHL has had a bunch of "Mr Congeniality" finalists on the teams over the last 30 years.

Then again we are talking about a franchise (Canadians) who's fans actually called 911 after a hit was laid on one of their players. The fact that anyone knows about Lucic's comments (whatever they were) is embarrassing to the sport.

Hence why I rarely watch hockey.

or called since that game

To follow this tangent a bit, can you imagine the outcry if the situation was reversed? That the officials missed calling that penalty on NE late in the 4th quarter, but the called it on the Jets to set up the winning FG for the Patriots? Especially when you add in that league updated the online rules on that penalty after the game.

I don't think it would have received the 'Hey, know the rules and don't break them' treatment we saw.

You didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. You had to go under the barrel. Yeah, the Globe's got a vendetta against Milan Lucic, too, because he was also mentioned in a piece about poor losers.

Sheesh.

They didn't put Lucic in a tri-photo placement with Richard Nixon and Whitey Bulger. Maybe that got past you.

They didn't put Lucic in a tri-photo placement with Richard Nixon and Whitey Bulger. Maybe that got past you.

No. The difference is that I'm not indulging in confirmation bias, while you are doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes