PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Need help from Patsfanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have this obnoxious Steelers fan that sits next to me. All he does is rip the Pats and Belichick.

He comes in this morning saying "your Pats are dying. Belichick is a horrble coach. He doesn't do anything without Brady does he? He can't coach when his team has injuries".

Well, I remember in the years the Pats won the Super Bowls, they were near or at the top of the league in player time lost to injuries. I told him that, and he ofcourse wants proof. Is anybody out there slick enough in the world of internet searching to provide a link or two for me, so that I can slam this guy?

I would appreciate the assistance. I'm use to shutting this guy up, and would love to do so again.

who cares. all you have to tell him is that we smoked the Steelers in the AFC Championship Games, both times inPittsburgh, in 2001 and 2004 en route to Super Bowls. In 2001 we did it with Drew Bledsoe because Brady was injured.

Just tell him about the 2004 "patchwork secondary" with Randall Gay, a undrafted rookie starting and Troy Brown playing defence as well.

Also, ask him if the Steelers make the playoffs, are they going to have there luggage packed before the game like they did against the Pats in the 2001 AFC Championship game? :D

Just take a piece of paper and write "Spell Roethlisberger" and hand it to him.....this will stump and silence most Steelers fans for days! :D

Do you believe in miracles? Unfazed by a rash of injuries and a lack of superstars, Bill Belichick lifted the Patriots higher than anyone could have possibly expected | Football Digest | Find Articles at BNET

"After their sterling regular season, the Patriots wound up capturing the Super Bowl championship again. And Belichick led them there using smoke and mirrors. New England had to use 42 different starters and 65 players in the regular season. Five players who started in the opener finished the season on injured reserve."

This is for the 2003 (Carolina SB) season.

It's funny how so many fans of other teams are more concerned with what the Pats are doing or have done than what their own teams are doing. As far as the Steelers go if I were him I'd spend less time worrying about Belichick and more time worrying about Ben.

Tell him you really haven't paid much attention to what the Steelers are up to because they've been such a non-factor for such a long time, but that appreciate his concern for our team:D:halo:

Ok,remind him of the year the Pats were huge underdogs,went to Pitsburgh for the AFC championship,Bettis was telling everyone how they had their plane tickets for the superbowl,get a video clip of the blocked kick where Troy Brown returns it for a TD.Play the clip on your pc at work over and over if you have one.When you get tired of that,tell him about the next time the Pats did the same thing a few years later,and show a clip of RH intercepting Big Ben and returning it for six.Oh,and add some footage of Hines Ward crying after the game.....that oughta do it...

ask him if he wears a helmet when he rides his motorcycle.

Inform him of who's the better QB right now, the guy with 10 TDs and 11 interceptions:
Ben Roethlisberger

or the guy with 10 TDs and 7 INTs:

Matt Cassel

In New England, even our backups are better. ;)

Hey all.

I have this obnoxious Steelers fan that sits next to me. All he does is rip the Pats and Belichick.

He comes in this morning saying "your Pats are dying. Belichick is a horrble coach. He doesn't do anything without Brady does he? He can't coach when his team has injuries".

Well, I remember in the years the Pats won the Super Bowls, they were near or at the top of the league in player time lost to injuries. I told him that, and he ofcourse wants proof. Is anybody out there slick enough in the world of internet searching to provide a link or two for me, so that I can slam this guy?

I would appreciate the assistance. I'm use to shutting this guy up, and would love to do so again.

Just wait until the morning of December 1st after the Pats beat the Steelers- ask him if the Pats are "dying" then.

Why not just provide the answer like BBFan did? Why talk smack? Seriously. People are talking about how the Pats are going to beat the Steelers and such, yet the Pats have let 2 of their last 3 games slip through their fingers. Granted, when you are hog-tied by the refs giving the opposing team 14 points through bad calls, it makes it hard, but it still was a loss.

Even with eight players laid up, Patriots are contenders again | Rick Gosselin Columns | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: The straw that broke the champ's back

.When you get tired of that,tell him about the next time the Pats did the same thing a few years later,and show a clip of RH intercepting Big Ben and returning it for six

Not to mention running through Rottenburger's feeble attempt at a tackle en route. I always savored that part most.

Why not just provide the answer like BBFan did?

Didn't we actually set the record twice for a super bowl winner with the most "lost man-hours" or something like that. It's not a stat I've seen anywhere, just remembering them talking about it on TV. Something based on figuring the game time that a player would have accrued if he had not been out with an injury or on IR (and in the Pats case, that player's replacement being out as well).

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Banged-up Pats continue to adapt, win

During the 2003 season in which they won a Super Bowl, the Patriots set an unofficial NFL record for the number of games that potential starters missed due to injury.

New England broke the record the very next season. And now the first-place Patriots are back at it again.

New England never, ever, EVER will draw attention to it. But this space will. Hard not to.

Once linebacker Adalius Thomas is added to the season-ending, injured-reserve list, which could happen as early as Thursday, New England will have an astounding 11 players on IR. Those 11 players would have started about 50 games by now. It also means the Patriots have upwards of $20 million on injured reserve this season.

And it’s more than just quarterback Tom Brady, the best player in football, who is out for the year. It is a list far more extensive.

The other Patriots already on injured reserve:

Running back Laurence Maroney
Offensive tackle Ryan O’Callaghan
Offensive tackle Anthony Clement
Offensive tackle Barry Stokes
Defensive lineman Kenny Smith
Linebacker Shawn Crable
Linebacker Bo Rudd
Safety Rodney Harrison
Safety Tank Williams
This also does not include guard Stephen Neal, who spent the first half of the season on the Physically Unable to Perform List, or running backs Lamont Jordan and Sammy Morris and defensive end Jarvis Green, who have missed extensive time due to assorted injuries.

Yet, all the ultra-resilient Patriots do is win. Over and over.

You say "obnoxious" Steeler fan as if there is any other type of Steeler fan (besides Dino of course).

Start by telling him that he needs to get his facts straight. The Pats are not only without their MVP QB, they are also without their starting RB, LB, S, and CB. Despite that the Pats are 6-4 in a division where no teams have a losing record. The Steelers have just one more win, in a division that includes the one-win Bengals.

Next you can compare the Pats to the Steelers the year of Roethlisberger's motorcycle ride. Even though Roethlisberger played all year, the Steelers finished just 8-8. You can also point out that the 49ers went from 12-4 to 4-12 the first season they lost Steve Young, and Chuck Noll was below .500 post-Bradshaw.

If for some reason he delves into the Steelers history, remind him that from 1933 to 1971 Pittsburgh made the playoffs exactly one time, a record of futility that far surpasses the current Lions or Bengals plight.

As mentioned previously in this thread, remind him about the record number of injuries the Pats had when they beat Carolina. Be sure to remind him of how the Pats beat the Steelers with a WR (Troy Brown) playing in the secondary. And ask him how is it that Cassel is better than their $102 million QB. Cassel has a QB rating of 87.3 (15th); Roethlisberger is 79.0 (21st). Cassel has thrown for more yards (2200 to 1990) with four less interceptions. And since some of those interceptions have cost Pittsburgh the game, ask him if it was the fault of Roethlisberger (bad pass) or their coach (bad play-call), since he was bashing BB.

Then there are the two AFCCG. One was won due to special teams - because BB looks at every detail, such as special teams, while Cowher paid little attention to that part of the game. In the other game it was Roethlisberger's interceptions that led to the Pats win. Again, BB outcoached Cowher by coming up with a better scheme that led to the turmovers. If he says it was due to video taping, remind him that was of defensive signals, and the Pats offense did not win either of those games; it was special teams and defense.

Hopefully that's enough to get started with, I'm sure others can add more too.

Ok, all you need to say to a Steelers fan to shut him up is "Neil O'donnell" He should get the point that he's gone to far and needs to back himself off a little. If that doesn't work, just say "Kordell just turned the ball over again against the Broncos, thought you'd want to know". If he doesn't "get" the Kordell reference, then walk away, he isn't a real Steelers fan and only jumped on the wagon in 04 when we made a run with Ben as a Rookie and this "fan" got lucky enough to see us win in 05.

(for the record, I'm still looking for you Neil and am going to kick the crap out of you and stomp in your face with my steel toe boots if I ever see you.)

He should get the point that you've had enough of his "ribbing" and you just want to see good football and talk real football talk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey