Welcome to PatsFans.com

Neb. AG refuses to sue for immigrants' fair housing rights

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 1, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -2

This country is arse backwards. What's wrong here? I always ask prospective tenants for identification when renting to them. I run credit and criminal checks before I give anyone a lease. It's amazing how an owner can't control his own property, and some ILLEGALS, (hello, illegals?) want to sue on the tax payers dime. This country is in shambles. They're here illegally, and the guy who owns the property can't ask them who they are, cuz he'll be sued for damages. LOLOLOLOL. What a Banana Republic we live in.

Neb. AG refuses to sue for immigrants' fair housing rights

By NATE JENKINS
    Associated Press Writer

LINCOLN, Neb. - Anne Hobbs was angry. The head of the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission had just learned of a Hispanic couple who said their landlord asked for their driver's licenses - but didn't ask the same of non-Hispanic tenants.

Hobbs said it sounded like the couple were "treated differently than everybody else because of national origin," and sent the case to the state's top prosecutor, hoping he would sue on their behalf under fair housing laws.

When Attorney General Jon Bruning received the case, he was angry, too - for a different reason than Hobbs.

"I'm not going to use taxpayer dollars to file lawsuits for illegal aliens," said Bruning after learning the couple was in the U.S. illegally. "You're not going to get a free lawyer" from his office, he said, "if you're not a citizen of this country."

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_2PCB...81&qcat=usnews&ran=9923&passqi=&feed=ap&top=1

Amen.
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

There's a lot to learn from the last years of the Roman Republic, before Caesar crossed the Rubicon. The prosperity and prominence of Rome attracted their neighbors on the Italian Peninsula (latin: socii), and the socii demanded that they have all the rights of citizens of Rome. They were eventually just made citizens, and Rome changed forever.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -9

We now have three bastards running for president who support all this crazy sh!t.

Can't anybody wearing a Flag Pin (D) or (R) step into this President Race right now and and bring back some respect and sanity to this country.

We have been invaded by 12 million jabbering illegal criminal aliens and the three people who want to be president haven't batted an eye, they won't even talk about it, three dirty f-cking rat bastards.

:bricks:
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Man thats what I call cajonies,your not here legally and you think you have the right to sue because some one thinks your here illegally. I hope the couple of scum sucking illegal trash got arrested. This case points something out,and that is illegals Think they have the same rights as American citizens.
  5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

Somehow, these 2 parties refuses to do anything about it, because they are affraid to lose votes. Excuse me, just how do illegals vote? WTF!
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -2

Legal Immigration is a must. I don't how many times I have to say it. An open border policy does not work. Look at how this is being handled as a result of an unfettered, incontrolled, mass invasion. We've got people who have no right to be here, asking the government that should be throwing them out, to SUE an american property owner on their behalf. WTF? Also, check out all the advocacy groups that are mentioned in the article. How many of them care about the law? All they care about is whatever's best for the illegal. They're lobbyist groups that are doing a tremendous disservice to the fabric of American culture. If immigration were controlled, then we'd know who these people were. Instead, we don't know who millions of people are in this country, and american citizens are the one's who suffer because of that.

[​IMG]
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -2

Illegals will vote right after Amnesty is passed.

Read up people. The writing is on the wall. Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in the country. They are the youngest average aged ethnic group, and have the shortest generational attachment to the country. Also, they produce the most offspring. Niether party wants to piss them off, or alienate them. If Latino's vote along the lines of blacks, or close too it, which would mean at an 80-90% rate for one party, imagine what that would do. It would single handedly secure the domination of a party for generations to come. Basically, the party's are selling out the american citizen, for their own political future. :mad:
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't think its because of losing votes. Its because there are illegal alien support groups with money and lawyers that would sue.It was once said the only way to destroy America was from within. We're watching it happen. This illegal couple which (I presume were just let go) did the smart thing they dropped the suit. If the illegals make to much noise it might wake people up. And demand laws like Normal countries have. Regarding people who break the law, and cross a boarder illegally, and demand tougher laws. Better to lay low and slowly infiltrate.

BTW when i was renting an apartment in Pittsburgh years ago the land loard asked to see my License. I had no problem with it. Because I HAD NOTHING TO HIDE.
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Its always amazed me how todays politicians will cut the throat of their own constituants,and their own for a little power in the short run.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 4 / -4

Wow, everyone is this thread is advocating indisputable racism. I'm very surprised. ;) If you want to get rid of illegals, then use the appropriate laws. That's fine. But, if you want judge a tenant by the color of their skin, that is illegal. Would you object if the landlord asked Jews for driver's licenses, but not Christians? How about whites? There are two separate issues here, and it appears that the righties are coming down on the side of those who want to judge someone by the color of their skin.
  11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If you read my whole post I said I was asked for my drivers license by a land loard. I had no problem with showing it to him. I didn't feel dicriminated against. Because I had nothing to hide.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +171 / 4 / -4

Yes, if they ask for the drivers license of everyone that's fine, but the issue is the landlord only asked for the driver's license of Hispanics. If I was a landlord, I would certainly ask for the driver's license and do a credit check even if the person was white, blond, and blue-eyed.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What's funny is this: we don't know one way or another whether this guy asked the latino couple for ID and not anyone else. That's only mentioned in passing, until much later in the story when it mentions that the couple wound up asking the guy not to prosecute anyway because they didn't want to draw attention to themselves.

Just them saying it, then vanishing is not proof.
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

How do we know that the landlord only asked this couple and no one else/ It would only be standard procedure to me to ask for ID from any potential renter. Therefor all potential renters would have been asked to produce an I.D. Plus you'd have me believe this was all done in public,not in the privacy of the land loards office. Thats hard to believe.
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

ID, SSN, bank account information, employer etc.

And I've never had a group application period either, in the interests of privacy.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +171 / 4 / -4

We don't know, and we won't find out if the Nebraska AG doesn't launch an investigation. In fact, it would probably take that idiot a few hours to determine whether or not their was any validity to the claim. But, certainly, if you're going to ask for driver's licenses, then do it in a colorblind way.
  17. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And why is he an idiot?
  18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

But the story goes that they,and they alone were asked for I.D. and as soon as soon as Ann Hobbes of the Neb. equale oppertunity comm. heard about it she wanted to sue pulling the race card. I'm sorry I thought is was the illegals that threatened to sue. This Ann Hobbs doesn't sound very compitent the facts of the case make no sense when you think about them. It boils down to the illegals saying they were in a group setting with other potential renters and they were the only ones asked for an I.D. First that would never happen. Second the person doing the asking of I.D. was doing their job.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +171 / 4 / -4

Actually, that's not the story. They decided not to sue because they are illegal and would get in trouble. I have no idea when they raised the issue of driver's licenses. At any rate, if Bruning wasn't such an idiot, all he needed to say was that he will investigate whether the landlord discriminated based on race, but he would also notify the feds to remove the couple who are in this country illegally. He should not ignore the issue of discrimination. What if the couple had not been illegal?
  20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I went back to double check and your right it wasn't the illegals that originally wanted to sue. It was some do gooder that was going to get them a lawyer.The illigels decided agains it because they didn't want to draw attention to themselves and other illegals. I wouldn't doubt if one of the pro-illegal groups told the couple to drop it because it would be unwanted publicity. Their story isn't very tear worthy. What would the average person think about two people here illegally sueing because they were asked to prove that they were here legally. It doesn't look good.