Neal signed a 4 year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
March 27, 2006
Neal -- 4 years
Offensive guard Stephen Neal's contract with the Patriots extends for four years, meaning the Patriots have most of their linemen locked up for multiple seasons.

Neal's four-year deal has a total value of slightly more than $10 million. The contract includes a $3.2 million signing bonus and base salaries of $600,000 in 2006; $1.7 million in 2007; $2.1 million in 2008; and $2.5 million in 2009.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

That's a little more than I expected us to pay him but we're now just Koppen away from having our OL signed for 4 years which is nice. That assumes Light, Mankins, Neal and Kaczur are starters. A strong assumption for all except maybe Kaczur.

Bet Stephen is one very happy young man!

3.2 s/b is MUCH more than i had expected Piolichick to pay him.
This tells us that indeed they will pay the new, higher rates ... for players they really want.

Please to see him locked up for 4 years, if everyone stays healthy will provide some stability to our o line..

on felger's show they are bringing up the conspiracy theory of his agent being the same as BB's firm and thats why he decided to stay...

i say good for him.. to come from wrestling to an NFL player is awesome and he got his payday.. good stuff..

flutie2phelan said:
Bet Stephen is one very happy young man!

3.2 s/b is MUCH more than i had expected Piolichick to pay him.
This tells us that indeed they will pay the new, higher rates ... for players they really want.

Good for Neal.

Not to argue,just a little devil's advocate, but "if" they really wanted and needed him, why did they let him look elsewhere and risk losing him. I wanted him back regardless.

Fascinating.

Clearly they valued him MUCH more than Vinatieri.

If they offered Neal a $3.2mm signing bonus and offered Vinatieri zero signing bonus, that really says something.

Glad to see it. Four years, not expensive at all. Great job =)

Felger thinks the deal is a complete steal for the Patriots considering what guys like Kosier got. Also dont forget as the cap goes up deals will look much better. Remember when Colvin was a huge signing, and that was with a 6 Mill bonus, a 34 year old Wilie got a bigger bonus then a 25 OLB coming off back to back 10 sack seasons cost

Was wonfering what it was..GREAT!! Congrats!!

texpat said:
....Not to argue,just a little devil's advocate, but "if" they really wanted and needed him, why did they let him look elsewhere and risk losing him. I wanted him back regardless.

If they did sign him now ... certainly they wanted him earlier.

Therefore it was the player ... who decided to sniff out what others might think his market value is.

texpat said:
Good for Neal.

Not to argue,just a little devil's advocate, but "if" they really wanted and needed him, why did they let him look elsewhere and risk losing him. I wanted him back regardless.
Everyone seems to have forgotten the effect of not having a CBA. It was hard to draw up contracts without knowing what would happen.

I've always liked Neal. Very happy to see him back and with a deal that pays off for both parties.

I go back to 3GTG III and how during Bill Belichick's analysis portions, he's almost always mentioning Neal pulling or blocking properly on the offensive plays.

This guy is simply an athlete and competitor, and you can never have too many of those around. Glad to see him back!

A big vote of confidence in Neal. It's hard to keep in mind that this is a guy who, although 29 yrs old, has only played in the NFL as a starter for 2 yrs. period. No college experience. No high school experience. It's hard to imagine another team signing him away, despite his intangibles, for big money. He got a nice deal with good up-front money and a deal that will keep him here for a good while at what will prove to be reasonable money.

I can't help but wonder how many here would be saying he was overpaid if another team gave him the same exact deal.

BelichickFan said:
That's a little more than I expected us to pay him but we're now just Koppen away from having our OL signed for 4 years which is nice. That assumes Light, Mankins, Neal and Kaczur are starters. A strong assumption for all except maybe Kaczur.

WIth this group of starters and Gorin, Hochstein & Mroc as back ups...this should be a very strong, experienced and effective group. They will have played together for a year (with Mankins & Kazcur) and many years for Neal, Koppen & Light. Assuming Koppen and Light come back healed up - look for great things with this line. Give Dante a second year + with the same guys in place and he will raise the level of play immensly. If I am TB & the running backs, I am feeling pretty good right about now.

PatsSteve1 said:
I can't help but wonder how many here would be saying he was overpaid if another team gave him the same exact deal.
Oh, Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Please shine down on me.
Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Hiding behind a tree
These little children are asking you
To please come out so we can play with you.
Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Please shine down on,
won't you shine down on,
Please shine down on me.

I'll say we paid more than I would have expected. If another team signed him to that deal, would I become lost in a fit of hysterical laughter? No. He didn't have the performance I expected from him last year, but he's a solid OG, and there's a lot to be said for maintaining consistency and continuity in your offensive line.

This signing proves that BB knows where his bread gets buttered. Brady and the whole OL being locked up for the next few years. He can make due with the D especially with Rodney coming back. We need an OLB and looks like we might go for it in the draft or a WR.
I think Dillon has a better year behind a more experienced OL this time. Injuries stay away.

Well this signing certainly say a lot about how the Fo valued NEal relative to Ashworth, Mac, and AV.

Looks like the cap will be used to secure our core guys for their prime. Due to the (relatively) small amount of FB wear & tear on Neal, he is a very young 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back