PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Neal says Pats were not his first choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
according to reiss. Bruschi is dissapointed, a player who the Pats made (Neal) says it was not his first choice to sign with the Pats. Lot of negative energy this offseason.

Neal checks in
Give Patriots guard Stephen Neal credit for his honesty.

When reflecting on his first foray into unrestricted free agency, he admitted he had no idea what to expect. He also acknowledged the Patriots weren’t his first choice, and that money was a strong factor in his decision-making process.

It’s rare to hear such candor.

“To be honest with you, if I could be closer to California, that was going to be a big deal,†Neal, a San Diego native, told a group of reporters Thursday at Gillette Stadium. “But it didn’t work out that way. The Patriots were the best fit for me and I’m glad to be back.â€

The 29-year-old Neal, who has started the last 30 regular-season games at right guard, confirmed that he visited with the Vikings, Bills and Dolphins during free agency. A scheduled trip to the Texans was cancelled at the last moment.

On the role of money in negotiations, Neal said “it is not the most important thing†but it’s “up there.â€

Neal’s four-year deal is worth approximately $10.5 million. It included a $3.2 signing bonus, a workout bonus of $106,160 in 2006, and workout bonuses of $106,720 in each season from 2007-2009.

With Neal under contract through 2009, the Patriots now have five of their top seven linemen signed for multiple seasons: Matt Light (2010), Logan Mankins (2009), Nick Kaczur (2009) and Brandon Gorin (2007). Center Dan Koppen and center/guard Russ Hochstein have contracts that expire after 2006.

Asked about the role of continuity on the offensive line, Neal said the longer you play with teammates “you feel more comfortable and don’t have to say as much because you know what the other person will do.â€

Neal said he learned a few different things from going through the free agent process, and one reflected positively on the Patriots.

“Everyone has a lot of respet for this organization,†he said.

Last edited:
So he wanted to play closer to home. No big deal.

I'm with Willie55, it would be nice if he desperately wanted to stay but he has a good reason for what he said . . . and he did come back so he can't hate it that much.

Regarding Bruschi's "disheartening" comment, I'm not sure that meant he was disheartened at the team, he could just as well have meant that he's disheartened to see McGinest and Vinatieri leaving and holding up other team's jerseys.

I watched the clip last night on the NEST and in reality what Brushi said is he's disappointed that they left, they been through alot together, him and Adam came in together but he realizes it's football and these things happen. He also said he was ready to lead the team.

Last edited:
First, I see nothing wrong with what Neal said. Big deal, he would prefer to be closer to his home.

And, what Tedy said was taken out of context. He was 'disappointed" that Willie, Adam, and David left. I saw it last night just like Willie55.

How many of us were disappointed too? Just about all of us.

You have people at work that you like, work well with, and have done so for a number of years. Aren't you disappointed if they leave to somewhere else?

That is all Tedy was saying.

Neal never kept it a secret that he wanted more money, anyway.

I was hoping we could have gotten Mawai for his spot because I really thought Neal was gone.
Come to think of it, the team must really like him when, in a market where guys like Tom Ashworth will be making pretty good bucks and he was a back up, teams must have made some good offers to Neal.
Anyone know of the offers he received?

Willie55 said:

Agreed..........Whats wrong with that? If it were me and a team wanted to pay me a boat load of money to play closer to home why wouldn't I entertain the idea?

R_T26 said:
according to reiss. Bruschi is dissapointed, a player who the Pats made (Neal) says it was not his first choice to sign with the Pats. Lot of negative energy this offseason.

The only negativity is coming from posters who insist on taking what players said out of context.

R_T26 said:
Lot of negative energy this offseason.
I've noticed that, you'd think NE missed the Super Bowl and the wet diaper crowd was celebrating.

R_T26 said:

Neal checks in
Give Patriots guard Stephen Neal credit for his honesty.

When reflecting on his first foray into unrestricted free agency, he admitted he had no idea what to expect. He also acknowledged the Patriots weren’t his first choice, and that money was a strong factor in his decision-making process.

It’s rare to hear such candor.

“To be honest with you, if I could be closer to California, that was going to be a big deal,†Neal, a San Diego native, told a group of reporters Thursday at Gillette Stadium. “But it didn’t work out that way. The Patriots were the best fit for me and I’m glad to be back.â€

The 29-year-old Neal, who has started the last 30 regular-season games at right guard, confirmed that he visited with the Vikings, Bills and Dolphins during free agency. A scheduled trip to the Texans was cancelled at the last moment.

On the role of money in negotiations, Neal said “it is not the most important thing†but it’s “up there.â€

Neal’s four-year deal is worth approximately $10.5 million. It included a $3.2 signing bonus, a workout bonus of $106,160 in 2006, and workout bonuses of $106,720 in each season from 2007-2009.

With Neal under contract through 2009, the Patriots now have five of their top seven linemen signed for multiple seasons: Matt Light (2010), Logan Mankins (2009), Nick Kaczur (2009) and Brandon Gorin (2007). Center Dan Koppen and center/guard Russ Hochstein have contracts that expire after 2006.

Asked about the role of continuity on the offensive line, Neal said the longer you play with teammates “you feel more comfortable and don’t have to say as much because you know what the other person will do.â€

Neal said he learned a few different things from going through the free agent process, and one reflected positively on the Patriots.

“Everyone has a lot of respect for this organization,†he said.

The Pats can not win. They have a player who wishes to be near the west coast so they aggressively pursue him and give him MORE MONEY.

This is negative too?

What they didn't mention was the LOVE. :)

They showed they truly and sincerely LOVE him.

And He LOVES us!

And the money. :D

Isn't it more noteworthy that Neal ended up back with the Pats because we offered him more money than other teams that had location-location-location going for them?

No biggie at all..as some said..it's so quiet the negativity has to come alive now as there is nothing to do!! Just silly....how was it last year at this time???

he just weighed him options.. cant blame the guy

363839 said:
Neal never kept it a secret that he wanted more money, anyway.

I was hoping we could have gotten Mawai for his spot because I really thought Neal was gone.
Come to think of it, the team must really like him when, in a market where guys like Tom Ashworth will be making pretty good bucks and he was a back up, teams must have made some good offers to Neal.
Anyone know of the offers he received?

The tell tale sign to me on players who want more money are the RFA tenders. Last year the Pats had to offer Givens, Ashworth and Neal tenders meaning they couldn't sign any of them to long term deals. They also had to use the Franchise Tag on AV. This usually means the player wants to test FA. These 4 did and three of them eventually left presumably over money.

Willie55 said:

Yeah, but how are the Vikings, Bills and Dolphins significantly closer to his home in San Diego? Those are the teams he visited. Anyway, I'm glad he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes