PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Scouting visits

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite thread, Box. Helps me decide which college games I'm going to look in on. Thanks for this.

Florida St played UVA last week. Miami plays FSU this upcoming Sat nite.
Hence the tweedle dated Oct 1, which I posted after the fact because it identified a NE Scouting visit.

No prob Box. I didn't look at previous page. Prime Ticket is replaying UCLA-Wash St. I want to DVR it and watch it tomorrow. I'm real curious about Akeem Ayers - LB - UCLA. Seems like he might be a real playmaker at lb. Sacks, int's, forced fumbles, etc. Going to check and see if he free-lances. Or, gets pressure off of the edge.

There seems to be quite a few de's who might be able to play in a 3-4. Might have to to that lb first. And, then the de. Mayo has been touting Aldon Smith - Mizzou. Scott Wright on NFL Draft Countdown discussed him on his podcast last night. Had good things to say about him. He's a 3rd year Soph.

No prob Box. I didn't look at previous page. Prime Ticket is replaying UCLA-Wash St. I want to DVR it and watch it tomorrow. I'm real curious about Akeem Ayers - LB - UCLA. Seems like he might be a real playmaker at lb. Sacks, int's, forced fumbles, etc. Going to check and see if he free-lances. Or, gets pressure off of the edge.

There seems to be quite a few de's who might be able to play in a 3-4. Might have to to that lb first. And, then the de. Mayo has been touting Aldon Smith - Mizzou. Scott Wright on NFL Draft Countdown discussed him on his podcast last night. Had good things to say about him. He's a 3rd year Soph.
Did you get a look at Ayers?

TV viewing alert! Wednesday, 8 p.m. Eastern on ESPN -- Central Florida @ Marshall.

The current 2010 FBS sack leader, Marshall Jr. DE Vinny Curry on one side.

The current active FBS sack leader, UCF Sr. DE Bruce Miller on the other side.

Additionally, UCF Jr. DE Darius Nall made my top pass rushers of 2010 list too.

And, keep an eye on UCF Sr. RT Jah Reid, I liked the limited look I got of him in a replay of UCF/UAB the other night, he was working against another kid on my top pass rusher list and made it look easy - a mid-round consideration who could move Volmer over to LT. With Curry in the game, we'll get a chance to see two NFL prospects go head-to-head.

Marshall also has feisty sideline-to-sideline MLB Mario Harvey to monitor.

Score Card
# 99 Vinny Curry
# 30 Mario Harvey

# 49 Bruce Miller
# 53 Darius Nall
# 76 Jah Reid

Article on Curry and Harvey for fun reading.

In the Wash St. game UCLA pretty much had Ayers put a hand down and play de in a 4-2-5. He usually tried to bull rush and didn't show many pass-rushing moves. But, if he usually plays standing up, I can see why. He showed flashes. Two plays come to mind. On a goal line stand he stood up the te and took on a fb. Allowed R. Moore to come in and make the tackle. And, near the end of the game. He rushed from a standing position. Like a 3-4 olb would. Got a strip sack and recovered a fumble. Hard to gauge since he didn't really play lb.

I caught the beginning of the Cal game. UCLA defensive front got steamrolled and he didn't look too active. In that game, he played weakside olb in a 4-3. I'm sure because Cal had a strong running game. They ran to the strong side and he didn't get into the play too much in the 1st half. Really played two totally different positions. Neither where he would with us. I can see why UCLA defense had a little bit of a letdown against Wash St. Off of the big win at Texas. But, to lay an egg against a rival like Cal surprised me a little. They(him included) just didn't seem like they ever got into the game. I did like what I saw from Vereen though. RB from Cal. And, C.Jordan looked strong enough to play a 3-4 end.

In the Wash St. game UCLA pretty much had Ayers put a hand down and play de in a 4-2-5. He usually tried to bull rush and didn't show many pass-rushing moves. But, if he usually plays standing up, I can see why. He showed flashes. Two plays come to mind. On a goal line stand he stood up the te and took on a fb. Allowed R. Moore to come in and make the tackle. And, near the end of the game. He rushed from a standing position. Like a 3-4 olb would. Got a strip sack and recovered a fumble. Hard to gauge since he didn't really play lb.

I caught the beginning of the Cal game. UCLA defensive front got steamrolled and he didn't look too active. In that game, he played weakside olb in a 4-3. I'm sure because Cal had a strong running game. They ran to the strong side and he didn't get into the play too much in the 1st half. Really played two totally different positions. Neither where he would with us. I can see why UCLA defense had a little bit of a letdown against Wash St. Off of the big win at Texas. But, to lay an egg against a rival like Cal surprised me a little. They(him included) just didn't seem like they ever got into the game. I did like what I saw from Vereen though. RB from Cal. And, C.Jordan looked strong enough to play a 3-4 end.
Vereen keeps himself high on my RB list. Cal has a Jr. OLB whom I don't expect will come out who reminds me of TBC as a pass rusher, but he's stronger against the run and in coverage ... Kendricks, Mychal ... I had to look him up, but keep your eye on #30 going into 2012's draft, love this kid's hands as a defender.

I'm looking forward to the Auburn/Arkansas game. Those 3:30p SEC games are great. I especially like them after clocks get set back. Start out in daylight and end up a night game. Would like to see Fairley and D.Love go head to head. But, I think they play on opposite sides of the line. Mallett vs C.Newton is intriguing.

Is there a longer list of players to watch in this Auburn/Arkansas game??

I'm looking forward to the Auburn/Arkansas game. Those 3:30p SEC games are great. I especially like them after clocks get set back. Start out in daylight and end up a night game. Would like to see Fairley and D.Love go head to head. But, I think they play on opposite sides of the line. Mallett vs C.Newton is intriguing.

This is old news, I'm just catching up with:

A scout from the #Falcons, #Patriots & #Redskins will attend the #Vanderbilt, #Georgia game on Saturday. #NFLDraft #NFL #NCAA
5:07 AM Oct 15th via web

This was the third Georgia game NE has scouted, now they may like Georgia as a benchmark for assessing other programs, but ...

Seniors
Shaun Chapas, FB, 6-2/240 -- NFLDS #4 FB (true FB)
Chris Davis, OG, 6-4/302 -- Reserve OC/OG with some starts and a Priority UDFA score from NFLDS.
Akeem Dent, ILB, 6-1/234 -- Flourishing at ILB for Georgia's 3-4.
Clint Boling, OG, 6-5/304 -- Starting RT projected to OG by NFL Draft Scout. Those looking to move Vollmer to LT may be excited, those looking for Neal's replacement may be excited, but this is a classic Scarnecchia bio since he's a four year starter with starts at LT, RT, and RG.

Juniors
Caleb King, RB, 5-11/217 -- Suspended two games for failure to attend a traffic court date.
Trinton Sturdivant, OT, 6-5/315 -- Currently starting LT on depth chart.
Aron White, TE, 6-4/242 -- Reserve TE.
Justin Houston, OLB, 6-3/258 -- A two category leader in NCAA stats (TFL, Sacks) as of Oct 16.
Brandon Boykin, CB, 5-10/184 -- Starting CB, good KR.
Cordy Glenn, OG, 6-5/324 -- Starting LG on depth chart.
A.J. Green, WR, 6-4/212 -- 'nuff said.
Ben Jones, C, 6-3/300 -- Starting C on depth chart.
DeAngelo Tyson, DT, 6-2/290 -- Starting NT on depth chart.

Networking alert:
-- OL Coach/Running Game Coordinator was Nick Saban's OL coach for his last four years at LSU.
-- DC & OLB coach is former DC for Romeo Crennel at Cleveburgh, DC for Wade Phillips at Dallas, and DC for Nick Saban at Michigan State.

Last edited:

Most interesting game for me this week will be Wisconsin at Iowa. That OL should challenge that great defensive front of Iowa. LSU vs Auburn and OU at Mizzou a pair of undefeated matchups. Rare for this late in the season. I'm starting to wonder if Patrick Peterson might be our best option if our pick is real high. Fairley against a pretty good LSU ol. And, maybe A.Smith will be back for Mizzou. Also, want to see D.Murray against a good defense. Should be a good day.

A scout from the #Giants, #Lions, #Packers & #Patriots will attend the #TexasTech, #Colorado game on Saturday. #NFLDraft
about 1 hour ago via web

This is NE's second Colorado game, and NE visited Colorado's practices twice to my knowledge. Colorado has three players, LT Nate Solder and both starting CBs invited to the Senior Bowl. Texas Tech has the former Green Bay Head Coach as their HC and they play a 3-4 with one of their OLBs, Brian Duncan, as one of the edge rushing leaders I pulled up in NCAA stat analysis about three weeks back.

I got to watch a replay of Vanderbilt @ Georgia - which a NE scout attended - here are my thoughts ...

Georgia

Clint Boling, OG, 6-5/304 -- NFL Draft Scout projects him to Guard in the NFL, but this kid can play anywhere on the O-line. In this game alone he took reps at RT, LT, and RG in that order, and dominated wherever he was and whomever he was blocking. He pulls well and gets to the next level easily, looking good blocking on the move. Scar has to be drooling. His O-line coach at Georgia was Nick Saban's at LSU, so I assume he's got a plus mark in his NE ledger. If Scar has any doubt about Orhnberger at RG for the future, this kid fits the NE profile.

Kris Durham, WR, 6-5/212/4.62 -- Okay, maybe A.J. Green was drawing extra coverage, though watching this kid pluck the ball out of the air sandwiched by three Vandy DBs might question that perception. He had a monster game and was the goto guy whenever the QB needed a play. He's a long strider, and not the fastest, but he was open and making plays, a nice UDFA prospect to bring into camp.

Akeem Dent, ILB, 6-1/234 -- 3-4 ILB making plays and cracking pads. NE doesn't really need another ILB, but he'd be good on Special Teams and nice depth. His DC was RAC's DC at Cleveburgh and Nick Saban's DC at Michigan State, so he's got the Belichick tree ties.

Justin Houston, OLB, 6-3/258 -- (Jr.) 3-4 OLB, one of the NCAA sack & TFL leaders as of the Oct 16th update. He looked good against the run and has good speed off the edge. Vandy liked to run away from him. His DC (see above) is also his position coach. I don't know if he'll consider coming out, but he'd develop nicely on NE's D.

Shaun Chapas, FB, 6-2/240 -- A true FB, he reportedly does get some Tailback reps now and again. NFL Draft Scout #4 ranked FB, the guys he blocked new who he was.

Ben Jones, C, 6-3/300 -- (Jr.) Koppen's contract expires after the 2011 season, this kid can move and hit moving targets, and he looked solid against a mediocre Vandy DL.

A.J. Green, WR, 6-4/212 -- (Jr.) His athleticism was on display, or I should say his speed (his game speed is faster then his projected speed on NFLDS). He had 3 receptions, but other then outrunning a Safety who had the angle, he didn't grab me.

Vanderbilt

Brandon Barden, TE, 6-5/250 -- (Jr.) The only Vandy player who really stood out, I don't expect him to grade high enough to warrant coming out early.

Last edited:
A scout from the #Giants, #Lions, #Packers & #Patriots will attend the #TexasTech, #Colorado game on Saturday. #NFLDraft
about 1 hour ago via web

This is NE's second Colorado game, and NE visited Colorado's practices twice to my knowledge. Colorado has three players, LT Nate Solder and both starting CBs invited to the Senior Bowl. Texas Tech has the former Green Bay Head Coach as their HC and they play a 3-4 with one of their OLBs, Brian Duncan, as one of the edge rushing leaders I pulled up in NCAA stat analysis about three weeks back.

Sherman the former GB coach is at Texas A&M. Tommy Tubberville coaches Texas Tech. That sounds like a dj's fake name. I'm curious where former Tech coach Mike Leach ends up. I know he's a former Pat. But, Craig James helped bring this guy down because of how he treated his son. Not right.

I watch every Dawg game and your pretty much spot on.

Chapas is playing hurt and he is still a beast, absolutel classic NFL FB.

A. J. Green is the next Randy Mosss, minus the tude. Very tempting if he is around with the Radier's pick.

Georgia alos has the best two kickers in college football (not that is a need) but Both the placekicker Walsh and the punter Butler (Kevin's son) are the best in the game.

Boling would be a perfect fit for the Pats, versatile, I wonder if he could play center. I think it is time to o\look for Koppen's replacement.

But Houston is the one I want, he is perfect for the OLB in a 3-4!!! He would be a sack machine.

Last edited:
Sherman the former GB coach is at Texas A&M. Tommy Tubberville coaches Texas Tech. That sounds like a dj's fake name. I'm curious where former Tech coach Mike Leach ends up. I know he's a former Pat. But, Craig James helped bring this guy down because of how he treated his son. Not right.
Oops! :( All those Texans looks alike. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye