PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clincher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clin

162 games vs. 16 games. You do the math on that one.

You can't watch baseball the way you watch football. If you are/were a fan, you have to "switch gears" and remember how to watch baseball.

I think there really is something to the shortening of people's attention spans over the past couple of decades or so and need for instant gratification that has exponentially increased in society as a big factor. Football much more easily feeds these needs than baseball. Hence, that's my theory for how football became #1. (shrug) It is what it is, I suppose.

Baseball can be fun, but you have to get in the right mindset to enjoy it. I always have to remember to do this when I switch from Pats to Sox.

Also, it's not going away. It may not be the #1 sport anymore, but it's not going the way of the dodo bird...sorry, haters. It will always have plenty of fans. And as long as those fans have kids, there WILL be kids who will still want to play it. Maybe not as many as before, but if there were no kids left to enjoy the game, as some would have you believe, then the LLWS, for example, would be extinct by now, wouldn't it?

And football status as the #1 sport is far from a given from here on in. Just look at some of the things swirling about that Goodell & co. have to deal with a the moment. Just sayin'. Football could falter someday and something else could take its place. It could be baseball again or it could be something else.

We shall see.

Re: NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clin

You can't watch baseball the way you watch football. If you are/were a fan, you have to "switch gears" and remember how to watch baseball.

I think there really is something to the shortening of people's attention spans over the past couple of decades or so and need for instant gratification that has exponentially increased in society as a big factor. Football much more easily feeds these needs than baseball. Hence, that's my theory for how football became #1. (shrug) It is what it is, I suppose.

Baseball can be fun, but you have to get in the right mindset to enjoy it. I always have to remember to do this when I switch from Pats to Sox.

Also, it's not going away. It may not be the #1 sport anymore, but it's not going the way of the dodo bird...sorry, haters. It will always have plenty of fans. And as long as those fans have kids, there WILL be kids who will still want to play it. Maybe not as many as before, but if there were no kids left to enjoy the game, as some would have you believe, then the LLWS, for example, would be extinct by now, wouldn't it?

And football status as the #1 sport is far from a given from here on in. Just look at some of the things swirling about that Goodell & co. have to deal with a the moment. Just sayin'. Football could falter someday and something else could take its place. It could be baseball again or it could be something else.

We shall see.

Exactly. I enjoy them both. Vive la difference.

Curious what the numbers would be if the Pats game had an 8:30 start.

Well the Jets and Falcons game were 8:30 starts. And the next 2 are, so we shall see.

We shall see.

Now your last paragraph is a valid point.

Higher because I wouldn't have gone and would have been watching on TV

I like the Sox, but come on

Watching the pats, vs a bunch of guys standing around?

So people keep talking about baseball and timing

Well

Avg NFL game 3:06
11 mins of actual action

Avg MLB game 2013 3:03
18 mins of game action

But I still love both sports and don't get the hatred other people have on both sides.

Well

11 mins of actual action

18 mins of game action

That's silly and you know it. Ninety-nine percent of the "game action" in MLB involves one player. I'm also quite curious how "action" in a baseball game is defined and quantified. A pitch can't take more than a couple seconds, if that.

Here is an added interesting tidbit: http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2013/jun/22/mlb-game-times-vary-widely-by-ballpark/

Whether young or old, no fans spend more time at a ballpark on average than those in Boston. Over the last five years, the average time of a nine-inning game at Fenway Park is 3 hours, 8 minutes, the longest in the majors, according to STATS LLC.

Well

11 mins of actual action

18 mins of game action

But I still love both sports and don't get the hatred other people have on both sides.

The difference is that there is a clock in football that impacts the game action.

That's silly and you know it. Ninety-nine percent of the "game action" in MLB involves one player.

Here is an added interesting tidbit: PRO BASEBALL: MLB game times vary widely by ballpark » Standard-Times

Whether young or old, no fans spend more time at a ballpark on average than those in Boston. Over the last five years, the average time of a nine-inning game at Fenway Park is 3 hours, 8 minutes, the longest in the majors, according to STATS LLC.

All game action includes 3 people FYI.

But for all the baseball takes too long. The avg game time is basically the same time.

And commercial breaks are the same 20 guaranteed for NFL. 17 guaranteed for MLB.

If you don't like the sport great that is your choice. But saying games being too long in time played flies in the face of NFL fans.

Give me you don't like the pace, that it is not constant action those are all valid reasons. But time is not

Haters gonna hate... :rolleyes:

One of the bigger factors IMO is that people are more likely to watch a football game that doesn't involve their team than a baseball game that doesn't involve their team

You win.

Seriously, this is exactly right. EVERY game in football is critical, for playoff position, home-field, etc. You're always on the edge of your seat at a football game because you know that a loss could mean the end of the bye, or the division. They only get 16 games.

In baseball, the BEST teams lose 65 games.

And fantasy baseball is crap.

I greatly prefer watching football on TV to baseball. I never watch games the Sox aren't playing, including WS games.

C'mon. The playoffs were pretty amazing.

That being said, it ain't NFL football!

C'mon you guys...you're slippin"...HERE...THE definitive explanation by the great George Carlin...

George Carlin - Baseball vs Football - YouTube

OOOOPS!...this was already posted in the thread...anyway...good enough to watch a different version anyway

Football could falter someday and something else could take its place. It could be baseball again or it could be something else.

I think it will be women's croquet.

Attachments

• Croquet bad girls.jpg
    Croquet bad girls.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 30

OK...I'd like to stick one through the wicket of that blond bombshell on the left....er...in a strictly platonic sense of course....

I think it will be women's croquet.
Holy s***. Sign me up, and you can leave the platonic s*** on Joker's doorstep.

I must confess...at times I'm a tremendous LIAR...board decorum demands a white lie in this case....but I just can't help but wonder how sticky that wicket really is...:madgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes