PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clincher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clin

Is there anywhere in America where baseball>football now?

St. Louis definitely. Maybe NY

Re: NE-Pitt Gets Higher Boston TV Ratings Than Any Sox Postseason Game Except WS Clin

Here is how MLB would make me a fan again (as when I was a kid):

* Establish a hard salary cap applied to ALL times (most important of all). - This will happen eventually, another issue with that is the floor. Can't have teams like the Marlins or this years Astros just paying no one, it's ridiculous.
* Cut the number of games to 142, crown the WS champ by Columbus Day. - This won't happen as long as the owners are making a dollar on 162 games. That and they've made a whole thing out of "October." I wouldn't mind them starting the season in late April though.
* WS home-field advantage goes to team with the best regular-season record. -I would even prefer if they went back to the alternating home field like it was before. This All Star game crap is just dumb
* Abolish inter-league play during the regular season. - All for this but not possible with the current alignment. I'd like to go back to 2 divisions per league and have there be 2 wildcards so 8 teams in per league. Also, 14 teams per league, 7 per division, fold the Florida teams.
* Establish a reasonable between-pitch time limit. - Again all for this, it should be done immediately
* Starting pitcher must play at least first five innings. You lost me here, if a starter is getting shelled he should be pulled.
* Limit the number of pitchers each team can field per game. Again I hate the matchup crazy guys like Maddon showing off but I don't see how this is possible.
* Each team gets two replay challenges per game. Not a bad idea but I think all reviews should be from the booth, in all sports. It drives me crazy that in football you have to use a challenge, either something is a bad call or it isn't. College football and the NHL have this one right.

* Establish a hard salary cap applied to ALL times (most important of all). - This will happen eventually, another issue with that is the floor. Can't have teams like the Marlins or this years Astros just paying no one, it's ridiculous.
* Cut the number of games to 142, crown the WS champ by Columbus Day. - This won't happen as long as the owners are making a dollar on 162 games. That and they've made a whole thing out of "October." I wouldn't mind them starting the season in late April though.
* WS home-field advantage goes to team with the best regular-season record. -I would even prefer if they went back to the alternating home field like it was before. This All Star game crap is just dumb
* Abolish inter-league play during the regular season. - All for this but not possible with the current alignment. I'd like to go back to 2 divisions per league and have there be 2 wildcards so 8 teams in per league. Also, 14 teams per league, 7 per division, fold the Florida teams.
* Establish a reasonable between-pitch time limit. - Again all for this, it should be done immediately
* Starting pitcher must play at least first five innings. You lost me here, if a starter is getting shelled he should be pulled.
* Limit the number of pitchers each team can field per game. Again I hate the matchup crazy guys like Maddon showing off but I don't see how this is possible.
* Each team gets two replay challenges per game. Not a bad idea but I think all reviews should be from the booth, in all sports. It drives me crazy that in football you have to use a challenge, either something is a bad call or it isn't. College football and the NHL have this one right.

I know my ideas are radical. But the sport is inequitably administered by MLB and too often unwatchable. Teams need to be on an equal playing field with a strictly established salary cap floor and ceiling. Games need to be sped up and made more interesting. Being a starting pitcher should carry an established weight of responsibility that might actually make them better pitchers. But even if a starter wasn't required to play a certain number of innings, limiting the number of pitchers overall per game (I suggest a maximum of three or four per team per nine innings) would go a long way toward improving pace and drama.

Inter-league play is unnecessary and waters down the significance of the World Series. Using the all-star game to establish home-field advantage is a bad joke that needs to end. If realignment and/or contraction helps improve the level of competition, great. The bottom line is that MLB is slipping away into tradition-bound anachronism by its own devices. It lost me 20 years ago and I've not been tempted to come back. I would become a fan again if these changes were made.

The ratings story at the top of this thread suggests otherwise.

Not really. It's an outlier.
As post #2 correctly surmises, Boston's RS fans tuned in in droves as the team and the trophy were to be displayed and celebrated. I'd even tune into a hockey or hoops game to see the SB winning Pats display the Lombardi in the afterglow celebration should we win another.

I know my ideas are radical. But the sport is inequitably administered by MLB and too often unwatchable. Teams need to be on an equal playing field with a strictly established salary cap floor and ceiling. Games need to be sped up and made more interesting. Being a starting pitcher should carry an established weight of responsibility that might actually make them better pitchers. But even if a starter wasn't required to play a certain number of innings, limiting the number of pitchers overall per game (I suggest a maximum of three or four per team per nine innings) would go a long way toward improving pace and drama.

Inter-league play is unnecessary and waters down the significance of the World Series. Using the all-star game to establish home-field advantage is a bad joke that needs to end. If realignment and/or contraction helps improve the level of competition, great. The bottom line is that MLB is slipping away into tradition-bound anachronism by its own devices. It lost me 20 years ago and I've not been tempted to come back. I would become a fan again if these changes were made.

Yeah, the only one I'm not loving is that required 5 innings for the starter.

Possibility for many glue factory 45 run games.

Not really. It's an outlier.
As post #2 correctly surmises, Boston's RS fans tuned in in droves as the team and the trophy were to be displayed and celebrated. I'd even tune into a hockey or hoops game to see the SB winning Pats display the Lombardi in the afterglow celebration should we win another.

The Patriots, playing a 2-5 - - team in mid-season, outdrew EVERY ONE of the 16 Red Sox playoff games except the Game 6 of the World Series.

You and I will have to agree to disagree whether they were tuning in to see the game or the brief pre-game ceremony.

BTW, the other Patriots games so far this season have walloped same-day Red Sox games each and every week. It has not even been close.

Last edited:

Yeah, the only one I'm not loving is that required 5 innings for the starter.

Possibility for many glue factory 45 run games.

OK, but the significance of being a starting pitcher needs to be re-emphasized, as does the concept of a starter going the distance. How many complete games were pitched in MLB this past season?

OK, but the significance of being a starting pitcher needs to be re-emphasized, as does the concept of a starter going the distance. How many complete games were pitched in MLB this past season?

It's emphasized in the fact that you can't win a game if you don't go 5 as a starter. It sounds like your issue is more with innings 6-9 when you bring up "complete games."

Positive and Negative Bonus runs.

Take away one run from the other team for every inning OVER 6 innings that one team's starter pitches. And take away one run from your team for every inning UNDER 6 innings that your team's starter pitches.

Woohoo! We won 2 to -1!

Last edited:

yet people still say this is a baseball state/city/region

One of the bigger factors IMO is that people are more likely to watch a football game that doesn't involve their team than a baseball game that doesn't involve their team

It's emphasized in the fact that you can't win a game if you don't go 5 as a starter. It sounds like your issue is more with innings 6-9 when you bring up "complete games."

My issue is primarily with wholesale substitutions at pitcher slowing the game down. Secondarily with placing renewed emphasis on the importance of being a starter and encouraging more complete-game performances.

I'm a diehard Sox, B's, Pats, and to a lesser degree C's fan and agree with your sentiment about the NFL>MLB, but there is one huge factor that isn't being talked about. What if TB wasn't here and the Pats were still mired at the bottom. I don't think they would be drawing the viewers like they are. It's a combo of both, the NFL being much more exciting to watch and the fact that we get to watch one of the greatest of all time count the snap while wearing a Pat's uni.

My issue is primarily with wholesale substitutions at pitcher slowing the game down. Secondarily with placing renewed emphasis on the importance of being a starter and encouraging more complete-game performances.

Fair enough, like I said I'm not a fan of the ridiculous pitching changes either. Like Leyland using 3 pitchers in the 8th inning of game 2 (How's that work out, Jim?) or Maddon doing this constantly when the Rays are getting blown out.

Maybe if they changed it so you have to go 6 in order to get the win instead of 5? Although I think that rule is in place because the game isn't "official" until the bottom of the 5th.

I'm a diehard Sox, B's, Pats, and to a lesser degree C's fan and agree with your sentiment about the NFL>MLB, but there is one huge factor that isn't being talked about. What if TB wasn't here and the Pats were still mired at the bottom. I don't think they would be drawing the viewers like they are. It's a combo of both, the NFL being much more exciting to watch and the fact that we get to watch one of the greatest of all time count the snap while wearing a Pat's uni.

Overall, the NFL is more popular than MLB but I do wonder if the transition would have been as quick in New England without Brady, BB, and the 5 Superbowl runs. I mean if the Pats of the last 12 years were the Chicago Bears, a Superbowl loss and a few conference title games, would the Patriots have those numbers vs the Red Sox? I don't know, probably not, but now that the Patriots are where they are and football is where it is as a national culture I don't think you'll see the Red Sox overtake the Patriots again any time soon regardless of how poorly the Patriots may play once Brady is gone.

Viewership was still very strong with Bledsoe at QB. The tide turned when Tuna was hired and gained further momentum after Kraft bought the team. As long as the Pats are competitive that's all that matters regardless of who's playing/coaching.

Flip side is "What would it be if the Sox weren't any good"?

This all took place while an exceptionally likeable Red Sox team was in the playoffs and World Series.

We aren't talking about the Patriots going up against chopped liver here either.

In this century, I'd say a bottom dwelling Patriots regular season game would mop the local ratings floor with a mediocre/average regular season game Red Sox team.

Last edited:

another issue is national TV contracts, I can watch any Pats game I want free over the air, but for most Red Sox games they are only broadcast on NESN, I know that that isn't the case for the playoffs, but there were some other issues at play also, a 4:00 in the afternoon start time on a weekday is going to affect viewership because most people are at work, most people are not working Sundays, or Monday and Thursday nights when those games start.

Heh, my friends and I grew up taking the Green Line to the games 2 hours pregame to see batting practice from our $2 bleacher seats, eating our grinders lugged from the late and lamented Newton South House of Pizza in Newton Highlands. Ah, the 1970's......

We'd go as a group and one of us would distract security while the rest snuck into the "regular seats" from the bleachers and on a good day go sit in the box seats...
We'd rotate so the designated decoy didn't get shafted all the time...They raised the tickets on bleacher seats when they signed Soup Campbell....

Overall, the NFL is more popular than MLB but I do wonder if the transition would have been as quick in New England without Brady, BB, and the 5 Superbowl runs. I mean if the Pats of the last 12 years were the Chicago Bears, a Superbowl loss and a few conference title games, would the Patriots have those numbers vs the Red Sox? I don't know, probably not, but now that the Patriots are where they are and football is where it is as a national culture I don't think you'll see the Red Sox overtake the Patriots again any time soon regardless of how poorly the Patriots may play once Brady is gone.

I don't have the figures, but I'm pretty confident Bears games crush White Sox and Cub games many times over - - even in the year the White Sox won it all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey