PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE interested in Ricky Williams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not overstate what "interest" means.

interest could mean anything from pulling all his film and starting to see if he'd be a good fit to bringing him in for a workout and interview to see where he's at physically and mentally.

it doesn't mean we've already offered high draft picks for him.

what's the harm in bringing the kid in to see what his mental state is? If he still sounds like a dope you say, "thanks for coming in!" and move on. It doesn't cost anything to talk to him and it potentially could lead to something valuable - however remote the chances.

Pats aren't ones to leave stones unturned.

It's kind of like Moneyball. The theories in there have been misrepresented over the years, but the fundamental premise was about obtaining players with skills that were undervalued at the time (most famously, OBP). BB is all about getting players who are undervalued for whatever reason. Vrabel, Moss, Dillon, - even Adalius Thomas, who should have been franchised. As Kraft has said, that was a market inefficiency. Because he was not franchised the pats were able to get him for money only, not picks. He was undervalued.

Well right now, there is the *possibility* that Williams is undervalued. He also might be valued spot on if he's really regressed and is still burning the broccoli. But the only way to find out is to "show interest" by talking to him.

but again, I stress, that doesn't mean they trade for him or sign him. Just that they are interested in seeing where he is at.

Let's not go overboard.

From today's Miami Herald:

Word is Ricky Williams, who applied for NFL reinstatement Monday, has been living in Boston the past few months and meeting regularly with a therapist for counseling on life issues. He rejected a proposal to do a reality show but is mulling an offer to do a yoga video. He hopes to generate interest from, in particular, Tampa Bay, Green Bay, Dallas, Houston or New England, assuming Miami dumps him.

One would think if the Pat do end up showing interest it will be because of Saban's endorsement. The team has done will with former Dolphin players.

The guy is living locally. I wonder where?

Last edited:
While I think the New England locker room would be a great envorinment for Ricky. I think the New England media would be the worst thing for him.

He needs to play in a city where yoga is not viewed as witchcraft.

Last edited:
If the injury to LoMo is serious I say bring him in for a workout. It doesn't hurt to check him out and see if he has anything left in the tank.

The team already has two ex-Phins on the roster. Why not go for 3?

He needs to play in a city where yoga is not viewed as witchcraft.
Then Boston is a great place for him..there is plebty of yoga centers all over New Englabd...or have you NOT noticed that...or know the Boston area..

Then Boston is a great place for him..there is plebty of yoga centers all over New Englabd...or have you NOT noticed that...or know the Boston area..

I grew up in Boston - right in the North End. I am obviously kidding. I just don't think the Boston media would take too kindly to Ricky

I don't think that we can honestly say what player is or isn't "Patriots material." I think ANY player that comes in, buys into what BB is selling and remains a team player most certainly IS "Patriots material."

I am concerned about Maroney now. They signed Eckle and now there are rumors about interest in Williams. I think there is some writing on the wall with Maroney concerning his injury.

While I generally agree, I would say that the "troubled" players BB has taken a flyer on are those who have had problems on their past teams, but just want a good chance to win. I don't see Ricky fitting into this mold. He retired and screwed the Dolphins the day before the season started. That is not a team player who is concerned with winning.

I too am concerned about Maroney and his durability. Lucky we got Morris.

I grew up in Boston - right in the North End. I am obviously kidding. I just don't think the Boston media would take too kindly to Ricky

Bah north end, too expensive. But you right about the Boston media, they will torture Ricky. Maybe this is why Moss havent talk to the media since after Jets game.

Didn't he break his arm in Canada? I don't recall him being injury prone at N.O. or Miami.

Yes he broke a bone in his arm and then cut his achilles tendon a few weeks later by accident. I think the Pats are perfect they way they are and I wouldn't rock the boat by bringing in Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes