NBC Sports: BB ranked #1 coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26346208/site/21683474/?site=21683474

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
His personality isn’t going to melt your heart and his video-taping techniques are the stuff of scandal, but on a week-to-week, year-to-year basis, there’s no better coach in football. He’s a brilliant tactician, known for his in-game adjustments. He’s demanding, but flexible. He likes to be in control, but he’s not afraid to give responsibility to promising young coaches. Truth be told, he’s a bit of an enigma, but genius often comes in that form. The man has won three Super Bowls. Enough said.

Mangenius' phony baloney stock is slipping - at 21 he's sandwiched between wade Phillips and Mavin Lewis rounding out the top 20 and the Herminator and Childress anchoring the bottom 10... :D

Head and shoulders above the rest.:)

Thanks for the post.

Couldn't see any mention on who exactly voted. Was it the other coaches or players or fans? Does anyone know?

Also, is "Rich Cimini" the same person from a NY paper who last year idiotically misunderstood Peter King's fictious BB's words as true statements?

A good list overall. I'd probably rank Gruden lower, and Del Rio should in reality be number 9 or 10.

He is also the top strategist.. overall appropriate.. thought Romeo was a bit low.. but then I am biased.

As he's probably the greatest coach of all time, it's not surprising he's the best coach in the league right now. :rolleyes:

A simple fact to consider: in the last seven seasons (not including playoffs*), the Patriots have lost a grand total of 8 games by seven points or fewer. Only once in that time span have they lost a game when they held a lead at any point in the fourth quarter. In that same time span, every other team in the NFL has blown at least seven fourth-quarter leads.

*Yeah, I know. But the playoffs aren't supposed to be such mismatches that you hear "Let's Go Red Sox" chants.

Aside from the awful Super Bowl the coaching staff had (and it's hard to forgive/forget such a terribly coached game) Belichick has been the best coach on the sidelines since he's come to the Patriots and most weeks it isn't particularily close.

I do, however, have an issue with the 'genius' part--and that pertains to any coach who isn't a member of MENSA. Sure, he's great at what he does and a fantastic tactician--he could, for all we know, actually be a genius. However, until someone reveals his IQ I'll reserve that label for the astrophysicists and rocket scientists of the world.

Aside from the awful Super Bowl the coaching staff had (and it's hard to forgive/forget such a terribly coached game) Belichick has been the best coach on the sidelines since he's come to the Patriots and most weeks it isn't particularily close.

I do, however, have an issue with the 'genius' part--and that pertains to any coach who isn't a member of MENSA. Sure, he's great at what he does and a fantastic tactician--he could, for all we know, actually be a genius. However, until someone reveals his IQ I'll reserve that label for the astrophysicists and rocket scientists of the world.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? First of all, many people with genius I.Q. aren't part of MENSA. Second, genius doesn't just apply to intelligence testing:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=genius

natural ability or capacity; strong inclination

One could theoretically have the I.Q. of a grapefruit and still be a coaching genius.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? First of all, many people with genius I.Q. aren't part of MENSA. Second, genius doesn't just apply to intelligence testing:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=genius

One could theoretically have the I.Q. of a grapefruit and still be a coaching genius.

The MENSA comment was more hyperbole than anything, I shouldn't have put that in there. However, I stand by the second part: the ability to draw up plays better than other coaches, and organize a roster that is superior to everyone else does not constitute 'genius' in my eyes. I know the game is far more complicated and dynamic than ever before, and I also realize that Belichick is far superior to any other coach in the game--past or present. But when I think of genius I think of Hawking, or Einstein, or DaVinci--or even of Bobby Fisher, Gary Kasparov or Paul Allen.

somebody should let NBC know that "the guy has won three superbowls" AS A HEAD COACH

hes won more then 3 all together

somebody should let NBC know that "the guy has won three superbowls" AS A HEAD COACH

hes won more then 3 all together

Yeah, pretty simple to research, too. You'd think it'd be something of interest to point out, seeing as how some of the defensive schemes he put together with the Giants were amazing. I mean, the guy has a game plan in the HoF from one of those championships for God's sake.

I disagree. Only mortals can have rankings, Belichick is above rankings, BB is the one top coaches pray too. Belichick is god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes