PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nawrocki: Gholston potential protoype rush LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Nawrocki from profootballweekly:

The junior class could make the DE class a great one. Ohio State junior DE Vernon Gholston is the most physically gifted of the group. He looks every bit the part with very little body fat. He can play with speed and power and has the potential to develop into a prototype rush linebacker with continued development. He is loaded with upside.

Florida junior DE Derrick Harvey is a better pro prospect than Broncos 2007 first-round pick and former teammate Jarvis Moss. He has the type of frame to beef up, get stronger and fit into a 3-4 front, but he also could be effective rushing the passer in a 40 front.

Clemson DE Phillip Merling really stands out for his hustle and pursuit. He is very strong and consistently has drawn double- and even triple-teams this season.

Other junior defensive ends who could declare include LSU’s Tyson Jackson and Miami (Fla.)’s Calais Campbell, although both have underachieved as juniors and could benefit from another year of maturation.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/positionrptDL.htm

hes huge..and has dropped back. Hes like Ware..i think he'll be as good

gholston1.jpg

Damn, the guy is huge. Should be available in the #5-10 range AND makes sense on this team.

Damn, the guy is huge. Should be available in the #5-10 range AND makes sense on this team.

yep. his stock has risen from late 1st to top 15 from start of season until now.

Hes fast..strong and just a plain beast. Hes played OLB at times at OSU and hes dropped back so that makes his conversion to OLB a lot easier.

hes 260ish ..much stronger than some OL..will run 4.55-4.6.

for comparasion reasons:
Ware
250lbs, 4.56 and was the strongest player there i think

I would really like it if they picked him. He won't be a rookie starter because Vravel and Colvin are still playing good enough to start, but he can split time with them, and have some snaps as a pass rushing DE if the defense lines up in a 4-3. Gholston is a rare talent and the Pats don't get an opportunity every year to add such a player without having to trade up.

I wonder if het declares, though. He could probably make more money if he waits untill the 2009 draft.

Last edited:
I would really like it if they picked him. He won't be a rookie starter because Vravel and Colvin are still playing good enough to start, but he can split time with them, and have some snaps as a pass rushing DE if the defense lines up in a 4-3. Gholston is a rare talent and the Pats don't get an opportunity every year to add such a player without having to trade up.

I wonder if het declares, though. He could probably make more money if he waits untill the 2009 draft.

thats IF Colvin is resigned and that depends on his current injury, his demand, etc

Yeah, Colvin is probably gone...30 year old guy coming off a foot injury due 6M or something next year.

It would be nice if they could draft him, looks like he could play either OLB role....maybe have Thomas and Vrabel at OLB and him and Woods getting playing time. He would also be great as a 4-3 end when they go 4-3.

They'd need to draft him low enough (not 2nd or 3rd) so that they could get value cap wise out of him.

Yeah, Colvin is probably gone...30 year old guy coming off a foot injury due 6M or something next year.

It would be nice if they could draft him, looks like he could play either OLB role....maybe have Thomas and Vrabel at OLB and him and Woods getting playing time. He would also be great as a 4-3 end when they go 4-3.

They'd need to draft him low enough (not 2nd or 3rd) so that they could get value cap wise out of him.

tough to guess what is wrong with Colvin but he went on IR right away. Id love him back but the FO will determine that with money's worth/injury and his status for next year

Gholston either way..with or without Colvin is a guy i want. Hed give us the versatility to make a big impact in a 4-3 for those times we switch

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/690986.html

According to this article, Laurinitis is projected to be a 1st rounder and Gholston a 2nd rounder. I don't think BB reaches for Gholston in Round 1.

Gholston struggles defending against the run and is a one-dimensional defender. If he improves his run defense, he has a chance to move up in the draft. It's probably better for Gholston to take advantage of his senior season at Ohio State and work on his all-around game.

I am definitely concerned about Gholston's reported inability to stop the run. As a project pick in round 2, he would be an ok pickup though.

Last edited:
I said this before, Vernon is inconsistant, and he could use more development. I think some people look at him (and his pictures) and fall in love thinking about how much of a "beast" he'll be, but there are more proven NFL prospects at LB in the 2008 class. I will say that I've seen some major potential in him though.

Gholston > Harvey as an overall player..including against the run

It would be very hard to imagine BB taking someone in the top 5 that could not start immediately for us.

I think J Long could start at ROT over Kazcur and McFadden could start over Maroney. After that I don't see much in the top 5 that could help us immediately.

If Samuel, Gay and Wilson all leave, there are a ton of decent CB's, no real studs, but some good solid talented CB's that could contribute in their first season.

It would be very hard to imagine BB taking someone in the top 5 that could not start immediately for us.

I think J Long could start at ROT over Kazcur and McFadden could start over Maroney. After that I don't see much in the top 5 that could help us immediately.

If Samuel, Gay and Wilson all leave, there are a ton of decent CB's, no real studs, but some good solid talented CB's that could contribute in their first season.
Malcom Jenkins is as stud as you can find last few years at CB

Picking top 5 is a real issue, would you rather have Randy Moss/ Asante Samuel of a top 5 pick. I agree with picks, my order would be Jake Long, McFadden, Dorsey. Not really sure anyone else is worth a top 5 pick, Gholston is he was selected would not start in year 1 but would still be around for 5 more years after that. Starting in year 1 is not a game breaker for me but as witnessed in the Ravens game look at the impact on the line of scrimmage of a dominant LT (Odgen) or DT (Haloti Ngata). I am not saying Dorsey or Long are at their level, but as complex as the game has become it is still largely won and lost at the LOS.

Picking top 5 is a real issue, would you rather have Randy Moss/ Asante Samuel of a top 5 pick. I agree with picks, my order would be Jake Long, McFadden, Dorsey. Not really sure anyone else is worth a top 5 pick, Gholston is he was selected would not start in year 1 but would still be around for 5 more years after that. Starting in year 1 is not a game breaker for me but as witnessed in the Ravens game look at the impact on the line of scrimmage of a dominant LT (Odgen) or DT (Haloti Ngata). I am not saying Dorsey or Long are at their level, but as complex as the game has become it is still largely won and lost at the LOS.

oh man after watching Ngata this game,i was little embarrased i ever said he wouldnt be that good and wouldnt have a spot here with our DL. Guy was a beast..heard some hype this year but he showed it and he was top 5 good. 330 DE/DT in 3-4/4-3 respectively. Awesome

dont think Dorsey will have that much success in 3-4 however. Long needs to add weight because his 3-4 at UVA is different than ours

quote"Yeah, Colvin is probably gone...30 year old guy coming off a foot injury due 6M or something next year"

Ok guys, if he isn't back and both Seau and Tedy retire than WHO plays LB next year?
Seems like BB would lean to drafting at least 1 LB. We should have taken one last year to start grooming.

Didn't he try that with Claridge?

claridge was a college LB and NFL LB. and he was a what..4th rounder?

5th rounder, and to be honest I thought he had a chance at being an effective NFL backer. Let's not forget the only reason the guy left football was because of his brothers death. He just didn't have the passion for the sport anymore, and I believe he asked the Patriots to release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back