Welcome to PatsFans.com

Navy Yard Shooting

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Still an active and extremely volatile situation.

The number of dead and wounded keeps changing but currently MSNBC and local channels are reporting 12 wounded (including two police officers) and 4 dead with a shooter possibly wounded also.

No motive as of right now. And possibly three suspects (which seems to be "iffy" information but it's out there.)

Because it's a federal facility with thousands of civilian personnel and it's also a military facility there can be many motives. Could be a workplace issue, a governmental issue or a military issue....or some combination of all three.

Regardless, DC is a mess right now. They've even restricted all flights in and out of Reagan International Airport due to the large number of helicopters in the air. The airport is almost directly across the river from the Navy Yard and the air space is limited.

Hopefully no one else gets injured. Thoughts and prayers with the police, EMS, military and all of those involved.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

One of sickening aspects of these types of incidents (besides the obvious) are the millions who "tune in and turn on" their televisions and remained glued to it for hours.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I suppose if your spouse worked in the general vicinity you might "tune in and turn on," too.

Or, knowing you, maybe not.

Why shouldn't people listen, PR? Why shouldn't people be concerned about what's happening to their fellow citizens?

Not everyone give themselves the luxury of pulling the covers over their head and pretending that if they don't know it's happening it's not real.

4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,269 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Perhaps he's referring to it being such a commonplace ho-hum event. :bricks:

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Of course if you know people in the area, it make sense. But to watch news coverage of tragedies for days on end (like Sandy Hook) just doesn't make sense to me. Watching it for a bit seems normal....but some people get obsessed with such events.

And I choose not to watch because I KNOW it's real.

What do you think would happen if none of them were televised?

6. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Just read Two shooters dead. If thats true it seems to me this isn't work place violence, its an orhastrated attack

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

It's all very confused right now, I think. There are so many different agencies in DC - all of them doing something and many of them unable to communicate directly with one another.

It's a common problem, believe it or not. Different agencies in the same town who communicate on different frequencies and who do not have the capability of speaking to one another on a common frequency. You would think that eventually they would all buy radios and hand held devices which shared at least one common denominator with everyone else.

In DC you've got City Police, federal police, park police, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, metro (subway) police and all versions of military police.

They're all there right now - and they're all kinda doing their own thing.

I've heard it reported that one agency is going through buildings and shooting open locked doors - which has lead other agencies to believe they are hearing active shooting.

Personally, sometimes I think it's a miracle that cops don't end up shooting one another. You gotta give 'em credit for it. Controlled chaos is hard to manage but they always seem to do it and do it well.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I think everyone would be complaining about "media bias" and "media blackouts" and "state control" and "government secrecy" and the people's right to know.

What do you think would happen?

9. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thats why i said 'if its true' that two shooters are dead. I no longer trust the media to get things right the first time. They're always trying to get the scoop on each other and be the first to report something which leads them to print unsubstantiated rumour as fact.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

One is dead

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Maybe you're right about how people would react...so maybe the question is, what would happen if no one watched them?

My guess would be nothing would happen. And the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it does anyone any good to watch them. I'm not saying people are sick to watch them...except maybe those that get obsessed over such events.

Personally, I watched the Boston bombings a lot the first day and then I stopped. I caught up on the hunt each evening on the regular news which I typically watch anyway.

I still haven't turned on the television to watch what's happening now. But I have to fly to the West coast tonight, so I'll probably turn on the news to see if this something larger.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

I just turned it off now, Obama came on.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

If it is an orchastrated attack, religious extremism better not fuggn be the motive

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

What would happen if everyone had the choice to watch or not watch?

Oh wait - we do.

I fail to see how you or anyone else should think they know the "right amount" of coverage to watch.

It's an individual choice and what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another.

And the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter what "you" think.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +769 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

It shouldn't matter to you....you're not following it, anyhow.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

They won't know what to call this one "It's Diverse"

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

So you agree it doesn't do anyone any good.

This is an OPINION board, not a fact board MrsP....did you forget?

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Religious Extremism has nothing to do with race or culture....it's related to insanity.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

I agree, that is the reason I left "organized religion" years ago, I now worship by myself in my garage.

Screaming reverends, priests, preachers or ministers or whatever else they are called don't know anything more than I do about God.

I don't believe that God intended for people to go insane and "dance with snakes" "play with chickens (voo doo)" or fly "planes into buildings" that is all insanity.

And she shall bring forth a son
    And thou shall call his name Jesus
    For he shall save his people from their sins

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I'll wait a couple of days before I try to figure out the who, what, and why when this happens. In the rush to be first, lots of details get misreported, and in the rush to shape the agenda, lots of "facts" distorted. So it's best to take the wait and see approach. My guess is it's some sort of disgruntled employee deal. I wish these people would just off themselves, and save the innocents of the world from their stupidity.

You mean like what happened at Ft Hood? That was workplace violence. :pray2: