Welcome to PatsFans.com

Navy Ship To Intercept N. Korean Missle

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 19, 2009.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

U.S. Military Set to Intercept North Korean Ship Suspected of Proliferating Missiles, Nukes

Excuse me, but where have the interceptors been? A warehouse in Cincinnati? Shouldn't they _already_ be in Hawaii and Alaska? Also, if they're being taken from somewhere deemed vulnerable, aren't we playing a little short-handed? I guess it comes down to Sec. of Defense Robert Gates just wanting to ratchet up the tensions. I can't believe that we're really this unprepared (not for another six months at least, at the rate we're going).

Now's definitely Not the time to cut back on anti-ballistic technology. Under the Radar, Dems Inexplicably Block Missile Defense

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Japan's saying N. Korea may launch a missile at Hawaii on July 4 - wasn't obama gonna be friends with these guys and make it a happy world ?

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oh you simply MUST link that story....

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +584 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

7. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'd say this is a big deal.

But, honestly.....Kim Jong has certainly seen Spies Like Us, and is well aware of our team of ex SNL cast members who can reverse program a stationary nuclear rocket....so he has to be ready for that.

8. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

A good friend of mine in the army is stationed over in S. Korea. He and his wife were issued updated evacuation plans last week, but since his wife is 4 months pregnant, she is leaving next week to come back to the states. The alternative is to stay until the evac happens, and then you can only grab 1 bag 65 lbs or less and get evacced to Taiwan, and then flown to an airbase in the states.

In case you're wondering, this is not a drill. This is why elections have consequences, and we've got a community organizer running the show. His "strong words" have been laughed at by the N Koreans, and in the last 2 months, they've tested 2 ICBM launches and an underground nuke test. The passive approval by the Obama administration has gotten them in way over their heads. As a bonus, Iran is weeks away from weapons grade uranium, and is watching this to gauge the worlds, and specifically the US response.

I just can't believe we're in this position when our Commander in chief is one of the most inept people on the earth...

9. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Maybe we should invade them like your boy W did....

you are seriously complaining about the possibility of a speculatiove action in the future by a president who apparently already has already issued evacuation orders, and seems to be listeing to the briefings...that must be much worse than what we are reading.

If I'm not mistaken KJI started testing nukes while BUSH was in office.

Bush's 'tough talk' was SO tough, it made North Korea so scared that they built and tested nukes. They also launched missiles into the pacific on the 4th of July....

where is your dome?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

If Ping Pong attacks Hawaii we better send Pant Suit Hillary over there to yell at them (they're not all bad) I have a N Korean neighbor he's so nice, he patted my cat once, tee hee, gush, glog slurp, I hope President Flop Ears doesn't offend them.

Harry Truman would have known how to take care of Ping Pong.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Obama unlike CLINTON or BUSH has openly stated hes tired of NOKO throwing a temper tantrum only to be rewarded with fuel, money and food assistance.

I've had hard time watching us and the rest of the world constantly cave into NOKO. Eough of rewarding BAD behavior.

Earlier this week i read that Russia and China were pusing HE BE ILL to negotiate.

12. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

From the Guardian: US navy prepares to intercept North Korean ship | World news | guardian.co.uk

The UN sanctions only allow the US to hail a North Korean ship and demand to be allowed to conduct a search, but not forcibly board it. North Korea has said a forcible search would be regarded as an act of war.

If the North Koreans refuse to allow a US crew to search the ship, the US could order it into the nearest port. Failing that, the USS John McCain could closely follow the ship until it reaches a port. The US would then be entitled to demand, under the UN sanctions agreement, that that country inspect the ship.

How psyched is John McCain?...

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Tricky stuff.

I'd say launching a missile at Hawaii would make Obama's decision easy and the NK's know it. Sure we can't respond with nukes, but we got plenty of conventional stuff to retaliate without dumping radiation all over Asia.

The key for us is to act slowly. The whole world wants this situation to go away, but if we rush right in then we're the bad guys who wouldn't negotiate. We need to wait until there's a hue and cry from the entire world and then stomp on the little PITA, IE do Gulf War I all over again

As to the ship itself, Its been widely reported that there's almost certainly a fast attack sub following it. If that sub has a torpedo that's weak enough to disable the ship's propulsion without sinking it, that might be an option. Then let it float around out there until they run out of food.

Anyway I'll sleep well tonight knowing that my President will consider all the angles all the way to the end before acting and that he won't hesitate to use the military if that's the ideal, or even best, option. It won't be the first, last and only option though.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,332 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

The Navy ship ... the John McCain ... what a bunch of bs that is.
    Like really we could have 20 ships trail that 1 ship, it will be like the pirate story again. What's the end game here? there is none because China says hands off and China keeps buying our debt. Less reliance on oil and China is a better path than the freaking John McCain trailing an old boat.