Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nation's colleges un-constitutionally restrict Second Amendment?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, May 31, 2009.

1. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -26

Are you advocating for carrying guns on campuses???
  3. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well, the meaning and intent of the second amendment is still a debate, which makes the question a mess.

If you go to a private school, I'd say you're out of luck; they can do what they want to, as much as any business (the old "your company is not a democaracy" applies here).

But it gets a lot fuzzier with a public school which seems to be the case here, given that this is a community college (can community colleges be private?). But I think that public schools are subject to the laws of the state, and in the case of PA, the article indicates that that state allows the individual schools to set policy. So therefore, I think this overrides any debate about constitutionality.
  4. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bait laid out :rolleyes:
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Second amendment they might have a case for since it is their property...

But the banning of literature that they don't like is another battle...probably more important than the 2nd Amendment battle. I see a violation of their first amendment times two there with the banning of literature and the protests and gatherings :rolleyes:
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +873 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Firearms are not permitted in the post office and schools. I used to leave mine in the car when going to the post office or entering school property to pick up my kid when he was younger. I know those are government places but really what would be the use of carrying a concealed weapon at a college? IMO they should not be allowed ... but really this is one where opinion is going to be all over the place. I think concealed weapons should be banned in all governemnt buildings.
  7. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is the point of allowing concealed weapons, if you ban them everywhere? The point of a CW is so that you are able to protect yourself if necessary. If the government bans CW's everywhere, then your ability to protect yourself, by having a CW permit, is now null and void.

Before everyone starts crying about everyone carrying guns...how many people do you think would be willing to hold someone up, or start shooting out in public, if they knew that there was a good chance that a good number of the people around were carrying guns? If you know that most people are unarmed, I would think that that would give a sense of security in carrying out your nefarious (yes, I said nefarious, lol) deeds.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

not too sharp, are ya??????
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's a reasonable stance that is hard not to understand and support..

Regarding bans already in place, two words that are probably the biggest reason behind them being banned in public buildings: collateral damage.

To me the only ones who should have guns in any public building are the police and even then they have to be registered with security and made aware of in the building.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -26

Guess will never get an answer to a question, even though it was done so honestly.. in reality never thought about it until this was posted.. at first glance does not seem to be a very good idea.. but have always been in the middle/undecided camp when it comes to gun control..
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

wasn't talking about the actual act of bring a gun to a campus......I am against guns on any campuses ......... but rather about the right to protest......which is something you skipped right over in your original point
  12. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The original post was a bait. :rolleyes:
  13. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Yep. I don't expect the bad guy'll take a holiday from bringing his gun at state u. Do you?

Do you know how many shootings have occurred in just such places, which are widely known to be gun free? It's really taking off.

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If one wants to kill people, those places draw 'em in like the outdoor lights the moths.

I carry to my wife's mega-sized Catholic church, my job, and my children's public school, the probably un-Constitutional law prohibiting my doing that be d-mned.

Read John Lott's blog to open your eyes. John Lott's Website: Progress on ending the gun free zones on college campuses

The right to self defense is inalienable, an individual right just like the freedom of speech, assembly, petition, or religion found in the First Amendment.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -26

Interesting point.. not sure carrying guns will make all that much difference in stopping this carnage.. some might say it will make it worse.. maybe we will morph into smoking and non- smoking collegs, gun carrying and non gun carrying colleges.. pretty confident that teachers will object to students carrying guns..