Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nationalized Health Care, what are the alternatives

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Aug 4, 2009.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

So I am not a fan of Obamacare which is designed to lead to a single payer system. I also believe this will inevitably lead to far more expensive health care, with rationing of care especially for the elderly.

This can be seen in the writing of people Obama is putting in positions of power as health care advisors (R Emmaunel's brother for example). We can also see how this will explode cost and limit care when we look at state run health care systems in Tn, Or, & Ma.

In another thread Scout made the following statement:

Fair question (BTW speaking of putting Granny down, in Or a 53 yr old man was refused chemo by the state (he had a 'public option' health plan) but was offered reimbursment if he 'decided' to persue a doctor assisted suicide'), so I decided to start a thread with links to appraoches to health care that are far superior to the current system with it's government meddling or the disaster working it's way through congress.

First a couple of columns and a page with policy positions by S Forbes from 1999:

Steve Forbes on Health Care

Steve: Real Health Care - Forbes.com

...And Undermining Health Care - Forbes.com

Next are Policy papers from the Cato Institute and Von Mises institute. These outline how the free market can improve out health care system and keep cost lower. These papers are outlining solutions not critiquing the obamacare. If you are interested there are papers there that skewer the approach being rushed through congress.

Health-Status Insurance: How Markets Can Provide Health Security | John H. Cochrane | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis

The Free Market: Four-Step Health Care Solution, A

2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I'll bite
    1) Prevent all insurance companies from denying coverage for preexisting coverage. This levels the playing field for all.
    2) Allow insurance companies to offer coverage across state lines. Instead of two options, you could have 10 or more which will lower costs or reduce increases...
    3) Offer discounts for healthy lifestyles. My insurance carrier offers $200 per person per year rebate if you go to the gym 120 times per year. For a married couple it is $400 to do something that is good for you...

I'm sure if we all put our heads together we could craft a plan that would reduce costs without sacrificing quality or dismantling the existing system...

3. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'll add one:

Tort Reform

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +535 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

For me it is mostly a cost issue not a coverage issue because once the costs are reduced the coverage is easier.

The obvious ways to reduce costs are tort reform and encouraging interstate insurance along with any other restrictions that prevent competition with insurance.

Eliminate employer based insurance. That frees up tons of money for business which will stimulate hiring, profits and salaries. Replace that with Health Savings Accounts with none of the silly annual allotments. You put money tax free into your account and it sits there until you need it.

Encourage insurance to be for the big stuff not the small stuff. Your car insurance doesn't pay for oil changes or air filters. It pays for crashes and bad bumps. See a doctor ? Pay for it yourself from your Health Savings Account. Have a heart attack ? Now your insurance kicks in. Not only does that make insurance more affordable but if you are paying for the small stuff yourself you'll be more aware of the cost. Now the costs are ridiculous because after your $15 or so co-pay it could be $250 for a quick visit for all you care. The way to lower costs is to make you pay more yourself.

5. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Converting health insurance to HSAs is really an awesome idea. I got into an HSA plan about 3 years ago and, unless HSA are outlawed or screwed up via fed legislation, I'll never go back. It's affordable for my entire family, putting the money into the HSA is tax deductable, and any money left over at the end of the year is still mine.

HSAs are definitely the way to go.