Welcome to PatsFans.com

National Geographic hates America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Americans Rank as the Planet's Least Green People - AOL News

National Geographic has come out with its third annual "Greendex" of per-capita environmental impact in 17 different countries, and once again the U.S. ranks dead last.

India, China and Brazil, in that order, again topped the list.

Joining Americans at the bottom are the British, French and Canadians. The score for the U.S. suffered because of such factors as air conditioning, ownership of multiple TV sets and transportation costs.

2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wait what? CHINA is the #2 greenest country???????
    I have to call it:

[​IMG]

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

It's per capita environmental impact, not greenest country. Very big difference.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

China's half-an-America or so worth of energy pigs is balanced out by a few hundred million extra no-car, no-AC, no-travel types.

Oh by the way - they're way ahead of us on developing components in the green economy. They spend way more on it relative to their GDP. They're trying to own the future. We act like we want to own the past. Okay, we did. Guess we win.

PFnV

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Lets ask ourselves what we are doing personally in our lives to green up....I mean other that point fingers.

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Isn't that sort of like "personal responsibility"? In the absence of any ideas to address a problem, lecturing people may be better than nothing, but it doesn't have a good track record. For instance, in my opinion, a climate change bill, even a weak one, would make people pay more attention to the issue and provide individuals with more green alternatives. I think those of us who are somewhat politically (or, obviously, environmentally) aware often do take steps to live greener lives, regardless of our political persuasion, but there are millions of people who don't seem to care or appreciate the gravity of the issue.

7. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I agree with that but I also think more people are environmentally "aware" than you give them credit for. Even if many aren't I'm not sure taxing and banning is the way to go. And China, well don't they have the one-child rule still or did they increase it to 2:confused:

Either way if this researcher is even partly accurate China's numbers may be a bit skewed:
    Chinese hiding three million babies a year - Telegraph

8. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They already own half of America, the future is theirs.

9. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It wasn't cool to fawn over Soviet communism but Chinese communism is hip!

10. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Seriously, truth. Post of the day my friend.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Haven't read the link based on the results sounds like their criteria was crap.

12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

....just a pet-peeve of mine. I can't stand the notion of carbon credits awarded to people that do lecture everyone on how to be green while living black lifestyles. They're like clergy that preach all day about fidelity as they have their own affairs on the side.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

China, India, and Brazil....:rolleyes:

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

See the Chinese are bringing coal plants at a rate of 2-4 per month, they are going green. They build a coal plant in conjunction with each wind farm to provide power when the wind isn't supplying power.

15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

So if they build a coal plant for every wind farm, why can't we build a wind farm for every coal plant?

The whole problem with black-and-white thinking is that it necessitates painting steps toward a solution as a half-measure. And that means.... drumroll... hypocrisy! (oh and by the way, you can never do it all at once, so why even start?)

A half-measure is better than no measure, innit? Yet you'd turn purple if I insisted we must bring a wind farm online for every new coal fired plant, wouldn't you?

That's the hypocrisy, if you ask me, not the fact that they are still building coal plants - that you cannot accept that a per capita carbon footprint reduction is a good thing. They are actively taking steps to make sure that number decreases... why do we insist in lagging on this measure?

Good point, above, about what each of us does to reduce our carbon footprint. As has also been pointed out, we've been able to voluntarily reduce our carbon footprint, and aware at the mass level that it's an issue, since at least the 1970s. Yet our efforts are minimal.

Individual awareness certainly is better than nothing. However, a carbon tax makes a very persuasive argument, much more persuasive than the best of intentions. I think it's reasonable to have a market mechanism, such as no liability cap, that prices in the risk of known dangers such as we've just seen unfold. I do not think such mechanisms must be limited just to reactions to ecological disasters, but can and should also be engaged proactively, so we can prevent disasters. This is not a popular opinion; I hope it will be.

PFnV

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Carbon credits are just the 21st century equivalent of indulgences. Funny how people think they are so sophisticated when all they are really doing is falling for the exact same scams people fell for in the middle ages.