Welcome to PatsFans.com

National Football Post - Positional Reviews

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by cstjohn17, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

As usual, very good articles from this website.

DLine -
    The National Football Post | NFL Draft: Top Defensive Linemen

Others will be posted as they become available.

I don't think the Pats will go with a OLB/DE in round 1, if Redd pans out they will return their top 5 OLBs (Thomas, Vrabel, Woods, Crable, Redd). Still, a name I am reading a lot about is Everett Brown from Florida State, also Selvie is interesting.

3-4 ends are a different story, I expect the Pats to draft at least one to replace Wright this year and Seymour in the future.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

The DL story begins and ends with Mount Cody. If Wilfork is going to walk, Cody is ideal to step in and be an instant upgrade.
  3. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Something tells me he's going top 10...
  4. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I would tend to agree but I'm still keeping my eye on Michael Johnson. He is freakishly talented and from what I've seen he should be able to translate to the Pats scheme. Problem is that just doesn't show up enough. He had a big game against the U Thursday but I want to see what he does against UGA Saturday. He scares me because you never want to draft a potential slacker in the 1st round, but I can't see how you pass on him if he slips into the 20's.

Greg Hardy isn't as talented but he gives maximum effort. Would love to see someone like him at ILB for the Pats but not sure if he can make that transition.

Also agree with you here, but I'm not sure I've seen a DT or big DE that jump out at me. Anyone in particular you are looking at?
  5. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Vince Oghobaase, Duke. He's the best 3-4 DE candidate I've seen this year.
  6. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

If BB does look to draft a DE to OLB conversion project, my favorite is Connor Barwin, Cincinnati. He can be the #3 TE while he's learning OLB ropes and he's reported to be a Special Teams stud. That said, I think BB has his OLB projects on the roster (Woods, Crable, Redd, Robertson, Guyton, maybe Ruud too) and won't be shopping for another on Day One.
    None who've jumped out, but I'd look hard at Tyson Jackson, LSU if he was there in the second round - there's obviously been some kind of shift at LSU that affects his playing time, but he's been a productive player who looks like he could be developed into a 3-4 DE. A later round player who I'd be interested in bringing in would be Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State - I've caught portions of a couple of their games and his name is always being mentioned during play-by-play. He'd need to bulk up a few more pounds, but NE has the staff to build him up.
  7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I mentioned connor barwin last week........he started out playing TE for the bearcats........size, speed, smarts.......a day 2 selection who will contribute imeediately on special teams and goal-line packages......I also think he can long-snap

micheal johnson is going to be picked very early and may not fit well in the 3-4 OLB in terms of coverage.....

I must agree withe the original poster about brown and selvie

an interesting prospect at 3-4 DE is clinton mcdonald (memphis)......6'3"/285 and can run a 4.7/40........I believe he could replace and upgrade jarvis green and save $$ for a few years
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

OLB's or DE/OLB tweeners
    -------------------------
    I'm not at all interested in this position.

If our top 5 OLB's are coming back (not even counting prospects like Robertson and Ruud), why should we expect the patriots to look at players we project to be OLB's, even in the first five rounds?

Of course if a future projected all-pro drops in our lap, we'll accept, but this doesn't happen very often.

3-4 DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
    Here we should be very interested depending on extensions or projected extensions to Seymour, Wilfork, Green and Wright. Wright is a 2009 free agent. The others are 2010 free agents and may push for extensions. The last time Seymour was in this position, he sat out for awhile until he got his extension (or threatened to do so).

Even with a Wilfork extension, it would good to have a backup beyond Smith and Adams.

9. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Unlike our first rounders (Sey,Vince,Warren), he'll most likely need some time to develop. Similar in size and ranking as Marquise Hill, maybe BB wouldn't mind spending a #2 again on a full-sized D-lineman. If not Oghobaase, then maybe the one who gets more press -- Tyson Jackson. If looking for a Wright replacement, Evander " Ziggy" Hood has quite a few intangibles of a Pats prospect, and one I'd strongly consider.
  10. cstjohn17

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

11. cstjohn17

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

12. pats_premi

pats_premi Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The following web site provides some write up on less known prospects:
    footballdraftanalysis.com
  13. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

Just from this top 10 alone there looks like there will be plenty of good LB prospects from rounds 1-4. When Marcus Freeman is the 10th rated prospect, that tells me that there is more LB talent available than people are giving the 2009 draft credit for.

Of particular interest in Freeman's scouting report: "He has had a chance to showcase his versatility while at Ohio State, showing he can play the weak side, strong side, or middle linebacker positions depending on what his team needs. The reason Freeman can move to any position and be so productive is his speed. Like his teammate Laurinaitis, Freeman also has the speed to tackle from sideline to sideline, and always swarms to the football. He is excellent dropping into coverage, and can smother tight ends, running backs, and even play against the slot. He is important to the Buckeye pass rush, because he can take away a team's check down option, forcing the quarterback to hold onto the ball."
    Marcus Freeman Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

Sounds like he has the kind of versatility that BB covets. He does need to gain some weight though.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

I would LOVE to see the Pats talk BC linebacker/MONSTAH Mark Herzlich to come out this year. In my opinion, he is the best linebacker in the nation by far. He's huge, fast and athletic. Anyone who watched him this year would probably agree.

He also seems to be BB kind of guy.
  15. cstjohn17

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Top 100 list posted... I am kind of excited that the Pats will get 5 of these players.

The National Football Post | NFL Draft: Updated Top 100 Prospects

Here are the top 32.

1. WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
    The nation’s premiere threat at receiver. He has the entire package and is destined to become one of the NFL’s top wide receivers.

2. OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
    A powerful, well-proportioned tackle with light feet and impressive body control on the outside. He possesses the ideal skill set for a NFL left tackle.

3. DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
    An explosive athlete with a powerful frame and good flexibility in his lower half. He will be able to rush the passer as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker.

4. DT Terrence Cody*, Alabama
    A massive two-gap nose tackle who eats up blockers and clogs run lanes; he’s ideal for a 3-4 defense.

5. OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
    A nimble-footed tackle with great body control and agility. He may be best-suited to play on the right side because of his girth.

6. ILB Brandon Spikes*, Florida
    A do-it-all linebacker who displays great power in the box and fluidity in space. He’s the kind of athlete you can build a defense around.

7. FS Taylor Mays*, USC
    A physically imposing safety who can play near the line of scrimmage and has great range against the pass.

8. QB Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma
    He’s the nation’s most accurate passer. He has all the intangibles to mature into a productive NFL quarterback.

9. CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
    A natural cover man who has the footwork and transition skills to stay with receivers in and out of their breaks.

10. DE Aaron Maybin*, Penn State
    This undersized defensive end showcases the first step and the closing speed to consistently get after the passer. He plays a lot more stout than his 245-pound frame would indicate.

11. LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
    An impressive sideline-to-sideline athlete who tracks the ball well in pursuit. He has good power inside, and plays the run and pass both equally well.

12. TE Jermaine Gresham*, Oklahoma
    He possesses the body control and athleticism of a wide receiver with the frame of a big-time tight end.

13. RB Chris Wells*, Ohio State
    He exhibits a rare blend of speed, burst and agility for a man of his dimensions (6 feet 1, 230 pounds).

14. DT Gerald McCoy*, Oklahoma
    The nation’s most disruptive interior lineman. He has a powerful lower body, with the quickness to shoot gaps and make plays behind the line of scrimmage.

15. LB Rey Maualuga, USC
    He has the power to fill run lanes and destroy ballcarriers on contact. He is a much better athlete than given credit for.

16. QB Matthew Stafford*, Georgia
    He has the physical skill set to make scouts drool, but after a somewhat disappointing junior campaign, questions remain about his accuracy and intangibles.

17. DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
    An explosive nose tackle with a great first step and a powerful lower half He has the ability to simply overwhelm offensive linemen at the point of attack.

18. WR Percy Harvin*, Florida
    An explosive playmaker in every sense of the word. He can line up at running back or in the slot and will add a lot of versatility to an NFL team’s passing attack.

19. DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
    He has played as well as any defensive tackle in the nation and is really shooting up draft boards. He has good girth, with the quickness to shoot gaps and blow up plays inside.

20. DE George Selvie*, USF
    He exhibits the most explosive first step off the line of any defensive end in the country. He is a bit limited with his pass rush repertoire but he is a consistent factor off the edge.

21. OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
    A long, smooth-footed tackle who has shot up draft boards. He has all the tools, but lacks any kind of real explosion to his game.

22. CB Vontae Davis*, Illinois
    The nation’s most athletically gifted corner. Davis displays the size, speed and body control to be a star; he just needs to polish his technique a bit.

23. DE Everette Brown, Florida State
    One of the most productive ends in the nation, Brown has a good first step and an excellent motor in pursuit. He uses his hands well on the outside and knows how to turn the corner.

24. OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
    A dancing bear on the outside with good length and smooth feet in pass protection. He needs to continue to add more strength, but he has the quickness to handle speed off the edge.

25. WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
    An explosive receiver who has really polished his route-running ability since last season. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands and is a constant vertical threat.

26. OT Russell Okung*, Oklahoma State
    He is a bit undersized and needs to add some girth to his frame, but Okung may have the best feet and body control of any tackle in the nation.

27. DT Sen’Derrick Marks*, Auburn
    An undersized, quick-twitch tackle who makes a living in opponents’ backfields. He has an explosive first step and the lower-body strength to fight through blocks.

28. OT Trent Williams*, Oklahoma
    Blessed with the feet of a left tackle and the size and power of a right tackle, Williams will continue to shoot up draft boards after a dominant 2008 campaign.

29. WR Darrius Heyward-Bey*, Maryland
    One of the premier vertical threats in the draft, Heyward-Bey combines size (6-2) and speed (4.35) to consistently get down the field and create big plays.

30. LB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
    A smart, instinctive linebacker who has a nose for the ball. He plays the game the way it is supposed to be played and relies on his technique and smarts to make up for his physical shortcomings.

31. RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
    One of the most instinctive runners to come along in years, Moreno has great vision and the ability to run between the tackles and create plays in the open field.

32. CB Sean Smith*, Utah
    He’s 6-3 and scouts still are tying to determine his position at the next level. He exhibits the fluidly and body control to become a top press corner in the NFL.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  16. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

how good is vontae davis, CB from illinios?
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

A very interesting ranking, if it matched the way the draft was to develop NE could score some serious talent, though I doubt all those underclassmen come out.
  18. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

From reports, he's pretty good. But as the brother of Vernon Davis of the SF 49ers (he of Singletary says get your assets into the lockerroom) I've read some tidbits that make me wonder if he has his head on straight? This is one of those IBBIT options, because I doubt I'll find any write-ups that count the change between his ears.
  19. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Its much more likely that the draft someone to replace Seymour than to replace Wright. LeKevin Smith looks primed to take over DE duties that Wright has held.
  20. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So who are those 5 again? I think I missed your post. ;)

He would be the third CB Belichick has drafted from Illinois. Doubt there's any connection though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.