PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

National Football Post new mock draft has us taking ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked around about Clay Matthews being the real deal but never did get any answer. This season there were times he looked better than his other more talented linebacker mates, didn't he? He has good bloodlines and is also a senior which might help him adjust quicker to the NFL game.

If you look at just him, I would rate him as a 6th rounder. He is more motor than skill, but he does have experience on ST.

However because he played for USC, it is real easy to see someone over drafting this kid, 3rd or 4th round.

What? I do not see it. He translates into an OLB in a 3-4.

he doesn't have the strength to push or the speed to get around an OT in the NFL........on the inside, he has the size to take on OG's and might make a good complement to mayo, but not as a first rounder

If you look at just him, I would rate him as a 6th rounder. He is more motor than skill, but he does have experience on ST.

However because he played for USC, it is real easy to see someone over drafting this kid, 3rd or 4th round.

So you think Matthews is only a 6th round talent? Why did he perform so well this year then? You're saying it was all the rest of the USC D and he didn't have much to do with his own success?

So you think Matthews is only a 6th round talent? Why did he perform so well this year then? You're saying it was all the rest of the USC D and he didn't have much to do with his own success?

Great college ILBs often lack the physical tools to repeat that success in the NFL. Matthews has sky-high intangibles -- the drive, the leadership, born and bred into football -- but just serviceable athleticism. That's a guy you root hard for, but the typical path for that kind of player is NCAA star, NFL JAG, and future coach.

Cushing..."lacks great upside" yet the Pats are going to draft him in round one? Well, it filled column space anyway.

he doesn't have the strength to push or the speed to get around an OT in the NFL........on the inside, he has the size to take on OG's and might make a good complement to mayo, but not as a first rounder

I'm not sure if you saw any USC games where Cushings played inside while Malalauga was hurt, but he looked pitiful on the inside. It was painful to watch.

I rate him based on what I saw of him on the field. He looked great chasing QB's and plays that went away from him. He struggled with anchoring and making plays when the opposing offense came at him.

Moobs to Mr. Universe = Roids

cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

He was thinner, but also pretty muscular when he first came to USC. He then injured his shoulder, and couldn't lift weights for a decent amount of time while rehabbing, and he was also in the process of adding weight in order to play DE/OLB. Since then, Cushing's had over 3 years in USC's strength and conditioning program, which is among the best in the country.

Here's a photo of Cushing during his HS days:
BRIANCUSHING7_301200.JPG

Cushing OCT. '07
1187910386.jpg

The funny thing here is that people initially pointed to Brian's HS photos, and that "moob" photo as proof he was using Roids in HS, and ballooned when he stopped. So, with his again looking like a physical specimen, he must be on roids?

Last edited:
He was thinner, but also pretty muscular when he first came to USC. He then injured his shoulder, and couldn't lift weights for a decent amount of time while rehabbing, and he was also in the process of adding weight in order to play DE/OLB. Since then, Cushing's had over 3 years in USC's strength and conditioning program, which is among the best in the country.

Here's a photo of Cushing during his HS days:
BRIANCUSHING7_301200.JPG

Cushing OCT. '07
1187910386.jpg

The funny thing here is that people initially pointed to Brian's HS photos, and that "moob" photo as proof he was using Roids in HS, and ballooned when he stopped. So, with his again looking like a physical specimen, he must be on roids?

I'm just seriously doubting that anyone could go from the picture on the left to the one on the right in a couple years without the use of enhancements.

I rate him based on what I saw of him on the field. He looked great chasing QB's and plays that went away from him. He struggled with anchoring and making plays when the opposing offense came at him.

Fair enough. So his strength is weak side pursuit but you're saying he wasn't good at shedding blocks or stopping the run going straight at him?
How does that compare to Cushing?

Last edited:
I'm just seriously doubting that anyone could go from the picture on the left to the one on the right in a couple years without the use of enhancements.

With full caveats that I am just repeating gossip here and have NO special knowledge of the situation, here's the story I've pieced together:

In high school, Cushing went through a very dramatic physical transformation that led teammates and opponents alike to assume he was self-medicating. He was recruited by USC, where a rigorous testing regimen began. Early in his USC career he suffered a series of tissue injuries and appeared to lose muscle mass and gain breast tissue, all of which are typical of a post-steroid period. Then he built his physique back up to an impressive degree, indicating either a new strength and nutrition regimen or a new undetectable doping program, or both.

Is it possible he's 100% clean? Sure. Is it likely? And do we care? I leave those as questions for the reader.

I'm not sure if you saw any USC games where Cushings played inside while Malalauga was hurt, but he looked pitiful on the inside. It was painful to watch.

then I guess there's no reason to assume the pats will draft him........not in round 1, anyway........he just doesn't look the part as an OLB for the pats

With full caveats that I am just repeating gossip here and have NO special knowledge of the situation, here's the story I've pieced together:

In high school, Cushing went through a very dramatic physical transformation that led teammates and opponents alike to assume he was self-medicating. He was recruited by USC, where a rigorous testing regimen began. Early in his USC career he suffered a series of tissue injuries and appeared to lose muscle mass and gain breast tissue, all of which are typical of a post-steroid period. Then he built his physique back up to an impressive degree, indicating either a new strength and nutrition regimen or a new undetectable doping program, or both.

Is it possible he's 100% clean? Sure. Is it likely? And do we care? I leave those as questions for the reader.

Dude, if he's using an illegal way to build up his body, we have every reason to care. Look at how much flak Harrison got for using HGH to recover faster from injuries. Look at Merriman. Look at the suspensions they got. I don't think Kraft would want to draft a player who knowingly 'doped up' to get to where he is. If Cushing is 100% clean, he still has other issues, all prospects do. But at least he wouldn't have a CHARACTER issue against him.

I don't like the sound of this "Manufactured athlete who should test well but don't look all that impressive on film and often looks like DE in a LB body".:nono: I think i am leaning toward others...i want ELite Speed from our LB positions.

patchick = "dude?"
kilroy-smiley-6271.gif

For some reason, I like Matthews over Cushing, maybe for the value and the upside. I see Cushing as more of a Keith Rivers or Lofa type, someone productive in a different system. I'm also becoming a fan of Larry Kruger.
Even the name is menacing. :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back