Welcome to PatsFans.com

National debt by presidents..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How come reagan, bush I and bush II have no restraint on the debt?

Bush II can't reduce debt with record economic expansion..

Why?

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

Because people who vote Republican tend to be gullible, I guess. I have some nice ocean front property in Arizona for sale. Any Republicans interested?

3. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To me that's a huge failing of this administration, if you want to cut taxes, fine, but you can't increase spending at the same time!

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

You need to look at the debt as a % of GDP the raw number is meaningless. for example if you have a debt of 1,000,000 on a GDP of 1,000,000 you are in very bad shape, If OTOH you have the same 1,000,000 debt on a GDP of 10,000,000,000,000, it doesn't matter.

That said Bush II has doen little to restrain spending, Although tax revenues have grown with the economy growing over 20% following the tax cut. Reagan was saddled with a dem congress, tax revenues tripled under his administration but congress spent it all.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +833 / 2 / -9

Bush
    Few more months and he'll be gone, he's been "grinning" a lot lately like the democrats do, I bet he's got something planned for Labor Day, maybe a big bang, something to remember him by.

Bush & McCain both lost me on the Illegal Alien Invasion, now they can both go to hell.

Where did Queen Oprah go :confused:

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +679 / 7 / -2

GW has increased the size and scope of government like no other could dream. Reagan had a Cold War to win btw.

Anyhow, can someone tell me when the last time government spending decreased?

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

LOL. That's what the chart shows. Do you have another excuse?

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +309 / 9 / -12

I said that Bush has allowed way too much spending. Clinton had the benefit of Gingrich running congress.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

And what's Reagan's excuse or Bush's excuse prior to the Democrats getting a majority? Clinton always said, "It's the economy, stupid" and he, like other Democrats before him, gave us a strong economy and a sensible budget. At any rate, as the chart shows, it's the Republicans who don't know how to manage the budget.

10. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

DING DING DING. That's been my biggest problem with Bush especially. To follow conservative spending philosophy correctly, you have to curb spending. He hasn't done that, but still offered tax cuts. Bad, bad policy.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Reagan's "excuse" is he was fighting a war. But you'll have to look far and wide to find a Conservative who will defend the spending practices of either Bush.

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Quit being a stupid prick, Patters. Real Republicans want lower spending and you know it. I'd like to see who controls congress overlayed over this - as we often have split governments it would be interesting to know this information as congress actually controls the purse strings.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

Well, then why do "real Republicans" keep buying a bill of goods? The fact is, the fact is that I can't think of the last Republican who was fiscally conservative. Eisenhower introduced the 90% tax rate, Nixon embraced much of Johnson's liberalism, Reagan ran up huge deficits, Bush I did nothing about them, and Bush II ran up huge deficits. Republicans are against government programs to help the needy, but that's not the same as being fiscally responsible. The fact is in general Democrats have been more prudent. It's true that Democrats are more willing to raise taxes, but they also take a more prudent approach to the economy, and the economy has generally done better under Democrats.

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~hal/people/hal/NYTimes/presidents.jpg

14. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nixon was fighting a war and debt went down..

15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then I guess you can't even think back a mere couple of years to a guy named Newt Gingrich. Apparently you aren't as well informed as you think you are.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 14 / -28

Oh you mean Newt, giveme a blowjob in the backseat you intern, Gingrich.. a real moral vanguard.. just like the rest of the immoral people who gather in the Capitol..

17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The statement was to think of a fiscally conservative Republican, and I came up with one. Nowhere in the statement was it mentioned that he should or shouldn't have morals. Your response, therefore, can be considered nothing but the moronic babblings of an angry, jealous and bitter little man.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +364 / 15 / -13

Yeah, right. Never mind that our debt started leveling off with Clinton's first budget, while the Democrats still controlled Congress. But, then again, you can't cite any of the Republican Presidents (except maybe Hoover LOL) to support your argument, so you have to credit Congress, which approved Clinton's budget.

19. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know your ridiculously partisan mind can't see past the "D" after a person's name, but I have no problem giving credit where credit is due: A Conservative Congress worked very well with a democratic President and the government was in fairly decent shape fiscally. The biggest problem was the fact that the executive was turning a blind eye towards the gross corporate corruption running rampant during the 90's.

FWIW, I'd have no problem with that setup again, which we will certainly have in 2010 if Hillary or Barack wins in 2008. In fact, I would much rather control Congress than the Presidency, but we still have years before that even becomes a possibility.

Of course, for some reason, it seems it would literally kill you on the spot to give an ounce of credit to the Republican Congress for things that went on. I am glad I don't have that person shortcoming and perhaps someday you will outgrow it.

20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Republicans go into debt paying for Democrat programs like adding prescription drugs to medicare :bricks:

And if Bush did that truly of his own volition, then he's no Republican.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008