PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Solder, really?

Get your own facts right...we were 25th in total defense. 8th in points. A number that is helped out alot by some bad weather,the offense setting the record for not turning the ball over,weak opposition,jets chokejob.
You're right, I had the wrong stat in front of me referring to total defense where clearly it wasn't.

Either way, I don't value your opinion so it doesn't matter much does it.

Jumping Christmas Cactus! Wilkerson was one of the kids I've been defending as a possible Patriot since mid-season. Yet yesterday when I finalized my 9 picks in patchick's draft game thread I took him off my list and replaced him with Jarvis Jenkins. It's not that Wilkerson is a bad option for NE, it's just that Jenkins will need less time to develop before you can plug him into the line-up. NE can still get a player who can contribute sooner, and who seems to have similar potential for improvement - and if they do get him, he's going to cost less. It's too soon for you to commit seppuku (but if you insist on doing so, groan quieter, you're disturbing my celebratory breakfast).

I'm thinking ballard comes off the board in the 40s similar skillset to a heyward or a wilkerson

I'm thinking ballard comes off the board in the 40s similar skillset to a heyward or a wilkerson
Ballard is not even close, I've been down on Heyward, but he stands up to blockers tons better then Ballard. And Ballard is one of three popped at the Combine for wacky tobaccy residue in his urine - he's falling with Houston and Hurt for gross stupidity.

nvm on ballard i thought he was a bit bigger and taller

Last edited:
At the end of the day Scar worked Solder out on Monday, if he didnt like him to be a future long term LT they wouldnt have taken him

If we get 1 more year out of Light, get Solder some reps and have scar work on hs bulk and technique (as he did with Vollmer) were all set

Just need a G/C now and were all good (if we can keep Mankins)

Not Sold on Solder

OK shoot me now! I actually agree with Ron Borges! Solder is too tall. I saw him practice at the Senior Bowl and he was getting overmatched. Short quick guys were getting into his body and scooting underneath his long arms like the way Dwight Freeney plays. He was also very suspect to the bull rush. Bottom line was that he didn't look very good. He can't play RT. I know Todd McShay was glowing about him in his report from the Senoir Bowl, but on the other hand Sporting News has him as the #1 Bust- Bound Prospect stating "Solder is an elite athlete ... he's still learning the position which is evident by his bad technique. He tends to pass block upright and straight legged too often and does not use his hands aggressively in pass protection. He can be jolted backwards by bull rushers too easily and gets beaten back inside by quick pass-rush moves underneath. What concerns us most about Solder is that many of the problems he displays on film are the same ones Robert Gallery showed when he came out of Iowa. Gallery had to be switched inside to guard to make it in the NFL after he failed miserably at tackle."

I know that Solder is very intelligent with a 3.4 GPA in Biology and I have the utmost respect for Dante Scarnecchia as an OL coach. I just thought there were better options.

I saw on Path to the Draft, Charlie Casserly discussing a comparison of this years Olineman to last years draft class. He didn't have one O lineman rated ahead of the corresponding Olineman from last years draft. I think you saw BB panick because the Oline draft class isn't as strong at the top of the draft as last years draft and take the best available OT. I was also very surprised to see James Carpenter OT Alabama in the first round. I like Carpenter, but not as a 1st round player.

The uncertainty with the CBA and the possibility of losing both Mankins and Light had a big impact on this selection.

Re: Not Sold on Solder

vollmer is the same height how is 6-8 to tall?, I'd rather have those tall athletic tackles, than the big slow ones that get murdered by freeney and doomervil/mathis

Last edited:

OK shoot me now! I actually agree with Ron Borges! Solder is too tall. I saw him practice at the Senior Bowl and he was getting overmatched. Short quick guys were getting into his body and scooting underneath his long arms like the way Dwight Freeney plays. He was also very suspect to the bull rush. Bottom line was that he didn't look very good. He can't play RT. I know Todd McShay was glowing about him in his report from the Senoir Bowl, but on the other hand Sporting News has him as the #1 Bust- Bound Prospect stating "Solder is an elite athlete ... he's still learning the position which is evident by his bad technique. He tends to pass block upright and straight legged too often and does not use his hands aggressively in pass protection. He can be jolted backwards by bull rushers too easily and gets beaten back inside by quick pass-rush moves underneath. What concerns us most about Solder is that many of the problems he displays on film are the same ones Robert Gallery showed when he came out of Iowa. Gallery had to be switched inside to guard to make it in the NFL after he failed miserably at tackle."

I know that Solder is very intelligent with a 3.4 GPA in Biology and I have the utmost respect for Dante Scarnecchia as an OL coach. I just thought there were better options.

I saw on Path to the Draft, Charlie Casserly discussing a comparison of this years Olineman to last years draft class. He didn't have one O lineman rated ahead of the corresponding Olineman from last years draft. I think you saw BB panick because the Oline draft class isn't as strong at the top of the draft as last years draft and take the best available OT. I was also very surprised to see James Carpenter OT Alabama in the first round. I like Carpenter, but not as a 1st round player.

The uncertainty with the CBA and the possibility of losing both Mankins and Light had a big impact on this selection.
Charlie Casserly? Casserly? Casserly? It's like there's something nagging at the back of my mind when I think of Casserly and Offensive Line ... I just wish I could remember why Casserly and Offensive Line seems to ring a bell?

10passer.1.600.jpg

carr5xi.jpg

tmq_a_carr_195.jpg

1166399415_0917.jpg

I don't dispute this pick, but I am concerned that we're pretty effed at OG. I hope we plug that hole soon. I'm sure that Solder was needed and is the type of talent the pats can make good use of. But I just can't stop thinking that we have an elephant in the room.

I don't dispute this pick, but I am concerned that we're pretty effed at OG. I hope we plug that hole soon. I'm sure that Solder was needed and is the type of talent the pats can make good use of. But I just can't stop thinking that we have an elephant in the room.

It's a good thing there are 6 more rounds in the draft yet to come!

Apparently under the operating rules the League intends to use, franchise and other tags remain valid. With that being so, Mankins is going nowhere. Leaving Kaczur and Connolly to battle for RG, and the usual suspects who backed up the interior last season on roster, plus whomever NE drafts or signs as UDFAs.

The big question is Matt Light, will he now re-sign with NE? If Scar gives Solder the same time to develop he gave Vollmer, Light starts in 2011 if he re-signs. If Light re-signs for multiple years he kicks inside and Mankins can walk in 2012. If Light does not re-sign Kaczur is the most likely LT starter to buy Solder his development time at 3rd OT.

The big issue is Light's contract status.

As far as NE-style interior OL, Day Two projections are pretty thin. Ijalana if his film is better then his post-surgery leg drive and agility numbers suggest. Boling and Wisniewski, maybe O'Dowd and Moffitt in round three.

It isn't until you get to the Day Three/UDFA projections that you begin to find the kind of OL athletes who seem to have the measurables Scar looks for when drafting. Fusco, Barnes, Kelce, Kirkpatrick, Z. Williams, maybe Kowalski, Gianninoto, Nagy, maybe A. Jackson and Schlauderaff, Kilgore, Boren, Vandervelde, Huey, Niland, Stingily, Person, Culbreath, Bradfield, King.

Yes, I did assume we'd franchise Mankins and get to listen to some cranky, snarky comments from him after the fact. You are right. It just concerns me that he might again choose to sit out for part of the year. But I'm sure BB did what was right for the team.

Yes, I did assume we'd franchise Mankins and get to listen to some cranky, snarky comments from him after the fact. You are right. It just concerns me that he might again choose to sit out for part of the year. But I'm sure BB did what was right for the team.
Mankins has telegraphed his intention of not signing his franchise tag until the last moment, so that means extra training reps for the other guys. I doubt very much if Logan is going to leave any $625k game checks sitting on Mr. Kraft's desk, so he'll be ready for opening day. Of course if someone wanted to offer NE the two 1st round picks needed to sign him to a free agent contract, I'm sure Bill will contrive somehow.

Charlie Casserly? Casserly? Casserly? It's like there's something nagging at the back of my mind when I think of Casserly and Offensive Line ... I just wish I could remember why Casserly and Offensive Line seems to ring a bell?

Yeah that would be the expansion draft of LT Tony Boselli and another forgettable veteran RT. Houston's medical staff cleared Boselli and his balky knee. Boselli re-injures his knee the first practice and never plays a down for Houston. Poor David Carr is left to the wolves and his career is ruined. Nice theory, bad execution!

That would be the same Charley Casserly that had the balls not to draft Reggie Bush despite the outcry by the fans and instead took Mario Williams the cornerstone of the Texans defense. Casserly was fired before he was proven to be correct about the Williams selection.

I respect the opinions of Casserly and Lombardi since they have "been there" as GM's in the league.

I respect the opinions of Casserly and Lombardi since they have "been there" as GM's in the league.

Apparently you 'respect' those opinions above those of BB and Dante Scarnecchia who is barnone one of the best OL coaches in the league and is known to have PERSONALLY worked out Solder and Costanzo before the Pats made their decision. Yeah OK. Different strokes for different folks. I'll trust in BB and Dante and worry about round 2 of the draft instead.

I'll remind those who boo the pick of Solder to keep in mind that with the selection of this mammoth 6'8 319 lb OT, BB is keeping true to his draft philosophy -- There are a LIMITED amount of athletic 300 lbs men who can play football at a high level. When you get an opportunity, you draft those guys first. BB has done just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes