PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nate Solder having a Pro Bowl Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rational for picking Dowling is the same rational for picking Gronk, players taken much later than their talents indicate because of injuries.

Solder is having a great year and he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet. now if only vollmer magically became healthy...

sorry but vollmer will never be healthy with his back..just won't happen and i know how back issues are....after 2 surgeries

sorry but vollmer will never be healthy with his back..just won't happen and i know how back issues are....after 2 surgeries
That's some deductive reasoning you got there.

Monday night football, national audience, against JJ Watt and the rest of that defense. If he comes out of that game shutting down Watt and whoever else he faces, you can be pretty sure he'll get Pro Bowl consideration. Same goes the following week on National TV against Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and the 49ers. Keep Tom upright in those two games, and Solder HAS to get consideration for the Pro Bowl.

J. J. Watt
Von Miller†
Aldon Smith
A. J. Green†
Patrick Peterson†
Julio Jones
Tyron Smith

Interesting group of guys, but with 20/20 hindsight the ONLY players on that list that I'd take over Solder now are Watt and Miller.....period. Here's why.

1. Aldon Smith is close, but right now he's a one dimensional player. A very good one dimensional player, but one dimensional nevertheless.

2. Tryon Smith - Another very good player, but I think Solder has out performed him, both as a pass blocker and more powerful run blocker. He's a very good player, but Solder has the higher ceiling and is playing better now.

3.Patrick Peterson - another player I'd love to have BUT, he's a CB and can only impact a limited number of plays, while a LT is critical on every offensive play. Again, a great player but I'm measuring the number of impact plays he can have to determine value.

4. Same goes for Greene and Jones - Both great WRs, and would love to have either or both no doubt. However an impact LT is more important to the success of your team than an impact WR. Nothing personal, but its a numbers game.

The skill players get all the ink, but its the big uglies like Watt, Miller, Solder and the Smith boys that provide the play to play impact that make teams work. The only skill player that rates a top ten pick IMHO is a QB

That 2011 draft underscored some of the best features of the Pats management: accurate self-analysis and planning.

New England had just gone through the excruciating, Keystone Kops loss to the Jets. The defense was absolutely woeful and gave up more yards that season then Rex Ryan has foot videos, and the public was clamoring for a solution. Meanwhile, within the Death Star, Lord Vader determined that the Jets game exposed his minions as being soft and unable to run the ball (Woodhead was the leading rusher in that game).

The general public was screaming on and on about the lack of a pass rush, and as it happened there were a ton of featured DL and OLB in that draft. Beyond the cream of the crop of Von Miller and Marcel Dareus, there were Aldon Smith, J.J. Watt, Cam Heyward, Ryan Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Corey Liuget, Cam Jordan, Robert Quinn, Muhammad Wilkerson...just a ton of great looking defensive prospects at what appeared to be positions of need for the Pats. As if that weren't enough, we had two firsts as well as #33 in that draft, so we could really control the end of the first round. I'd go to bed fap-fapping about who was going to fall to us, and how the D was finally going to get a massive infusion of talent so we could return to the glory days.

Draft day comes. I have a list of front seven defensive dudes I like, and with each pick, it was clear that there is going to be serious raw talent available in that area when 17 comes up. Miller goes second after having been projected as maybe going at five, Dareus goes, Aldon Smith goes (thought at the time to be a bit of a reach), and then of course the Texans grab Watt. Ugh. But there's still a lot of defensive muscle left. Quinn goes (who cares, he's soft, I sniff). The Skins trade up for Ryan Kerrigan (project, we would never draft a project in the first round). It's our pick!

And...groan. An OL. A 6-8 TE convert whose body is not pro-ready. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Okay. Regroup. Still 28 and 33 left to shore up the D. Solder could be good. Light is getting old and it can't hurt to have a project at LT. Still some beef brothers left plus Brooks Reed and even Jabaal Sheard. Simmer down.

The draft goes on. Some other players go, in whom the Pats were not predicted to have any interest. Cam Jordan goes, but Cam Heyward is still there. The Ravens miss a pick. It's our turn!

We trade into next year. This pick turns into about 75% of Chandler Jones, but of course I don't know that. I'm pissed.

Still, I'm okay with this, because of 33 coming up next. But Wilkerson and Heyward go in between and I'm starting to worry about how we missed a golden opportunity. Then, with Reed, Sheard, Bowers, and the third tier beef available, they draft Dowling.

W.T. F. I thought the front seven was the problem. WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!

As we know, the draft continues on and on in this vein. BB spends almost every pick on an effort to shore up the running game and trade into next year, with absolutely no interest in defensive muscle. I am mystified. Vereen AND Ridley, when we have a guy who never fumbles. Trade a 3 and a 4 for Oakland's 2 next year (which becomes Tavon Wilson, but I digress). The flier on Mallet, who has fallen far. The flier on cancer-riddled (or so we thought) Marcus Cannon, who has fallen far. Lee Smith, who turns out to be the best blocking TE in the draft, but of course I don't know that. They don't even draft freaking Greg Romeus! They finally throw my crushed hopes and dreams a bone in the form of deep sleepers Markell Carter (huge measureables of which I am unaware) and Malcolm Williams. I finish the weekend frustrated, confused, and unfulfilled.

And now, the Pats have a solid running game, featuring four of the players from 2011 whom I discounted and eschewed, while using those added picks which so frustrated me to finally grab some electrifying front seven talent. Masterful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back