Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nate Solder having a Pro Bowl Year

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by The_Riddler, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 2 / -3

Adrian Klemm in 2000 (#46 overall), but I think you can be excused for forgetting him. I'd like to.
  2. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 2 / -3

Given the positional value of left tackle and Solder's athleticism and upside, the only guy I can look at and clearly say in retrospect that I would have taken over Solder in the entire draft - if I could redraft and take anyone I wanted - is JJ Watt. Maybe Von Miller, but he was less of a clear schematic fit. Maybe Aldon Smith, but he was a sub rusher his first year. And, as you say, there was no one afterwards who would have been a better pick. That's impressive. Especially when you consider that Solder was considered somewhat raw coming out, and wasn't considered to be ready to contribute right away, which he did.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I know we all know this but it is worth mentioning that this was the Seymour pick. I know it sucked to lose Seymour for "nothing" that year but when we presumably extend Solder we'll be looking at 8-10 years of this guy instead of Seymour who has been a solid but aging player since we traded him.
  4. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So many teams are looking for the physical prototype at a position, and then they see one and often see the flaws that keep him from performing to his talent level.

Here we have a guy who was healthy, and the prototypical specimen of what you want at the elevated important position of LT, and other teams let him pass.

Now I loved Watt, but if the Pats could have somehow traded up for him, we would still have a crying need for a LT, and be missing whatever we had to trade to move up.

Of course, if we knew how JJ watt would turn out the Texans themselves would have had to trade up, because he probably would have gone #1 overall.
  5. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,069 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Watt was the one draft binky I've really gotten right, sigh. The Pats had no chance at him, though. Even if they could have somehow traded up into the top 10 for him, which was extremely unlikely, they wouldn't have known that they had to because NOBODY predicted that Houston would take him.
  6. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 14 / -5

#87 Jersey

Solder was a great pick, I wouldn't take anyone for four rounds after him. However, I would consider Round 5-Pick 154-Richard Sherman CB Seahawks.

Solder was one of the best value picks in the draft behind JJ Watt at #11, Sherman at 154, and Ridley at 73, considering Miller was drafted #2 and Smith #7.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I wanted Jordan or OT Anthony Castonzo; I liked Solder but he was supposed to be a project whereas Castonzo was more "NFL ready". Or so they said.
  8. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +104 / 9 / -3

#11 Jersey

Damn, as much as I hate Sherman, I wish we took him...he could be talking **** for US.
  9. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +572 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

To be fair, Solder was a glorified TE for a year. Probably wasn't "NFL ready" as a LT his rookie year.

I wonder if there hadn't been a lockout and we'd re-signed Light pre-draft whether we'd have picked Solder. If not, we'd be looking at Riley Reiff or Cordy Glenn at LT and we'd be without either Chandler Jones or Hightower most likely.
  10. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,317 / 13 / -5

They said Quinton Coples was more NFL ready and Chandler Jones was project too. Jones, before he was injured, was the leading candidate for DROY. Coples, well, he was getting playing time.

Both have been deactivated lately because of injuries..... What?!? Coples has been active and just hasn't shown up in the stats column in the last two weeks? Nice pick Rex.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I can't say how he'd have done as a starting LT but with Vollmer's back he was a starter Week 1 and for most of the season at RT so he was a lot more NFL ready than expected. Certainly ready enough to quell my fears on draft day that he shouldn't see the field much in year one, although I was intrigued by his upside when we drafted him.

I have no idea where Box o Rocks is but he really liked Solder.
  12. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +572 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

So did I. Picked him in the draft game that year (along with Vereen). Although that was beginners luck.

Edit: Just want to add that it was largely down to Box that I liked Solder. He did a great job of teaching me about the Pats and the O/Line that year.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I was a little irritated because I liked Solder early but talked myself out of him. I often do well with our #1s, I had McCourtey the year before and have had some others in years past. I liked Jones a lot this year but didn't predict him as it didn't look like he'd make it to our spot and I didn't guess we'd trade up for him.
  14. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Solder gets to face up against JJ Watt and Alton Smith in back to back weeks,these two guys are both top 10 pass rushers,maybe even top 5 :eek:

Good luck kid!!!
  15. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +572 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

Why would you :)
  16. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 2 / -3

Box led the charge on the Solder bandwagon. He was ahead on that one, as with many things.
  17. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 11 / -6

Well, at least an RT (assuming Vollmer moved over to LT).
  18. 76Texan

76Texan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Congrat from a Texan fan.

I had Solder as the top OT in that draft over the dismay of pretty much al of our resident draft gurus.

Glad to hear he's doing well.
  19. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 11 / -6

To be fair, BritPat was also a charter member of the Nate Solder Fan Club.
  20. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +133 / 2 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I love solder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.