Nate Clements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Could he be the "big" FA the Pats sign this year? Signing him prior to the draft would take all the "need" out of the draft (much like the Dillon trade). It would also hurt a division opponent and bring in a solid "shut-down" corner very familiar with the AFC East.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/235204

Plus, he has never missed a game in five years.

I would love it. I think he was the best CB in the league last year. Unfortunately, he'll get bigger offers, as there are very few starting-caliber CB free agents this year. I don't know if he's willing to spurn some more lucrative offers to come to Foxboro. Due to the position he plays, and the lack of quality alternatives, I expect him to be the most sought-after player in free agency.

Absolutley, he can come on down, if the price is right!

dryheat44 said:
I would love it. I think he was the best CB in the league last year. Unfortunately, he'll get bigger offers, as there are very few starting-caliber CB free agents this year. I don't know if he's willing to spurn some more lucrative offers to come to Foxboro. Due to the position he plays, and the lack of quality alternatives, I expect him to be the most sought-after player in free agency.
If Belichick believes he is the best corner in the NFL, and we have need there, the biggest offer he will get is from us.

I hate this consistent commentary that regardless of who the player is we wont offer them market value.
Belichick judges MV based on how the player comoares to alternatives (as well as fitting the system). He pays market value--his opinion of value, not someone else's. Since the run of the mill sort of above average player is valued less by BB than other teams, by definition some players are valued higher.

ITs amazing to me that when we use the entire cap every year, there is still this idea that every other team would pay more for any player than BB would. Thats impossible. He pays as much for a 53 man roster as anyone. If there are certain types of players that he feels other teams overpay for, guess what, there are certain types of players other teams feel HE overpays for. In other words if some teams give Clements 7mill a year, and BB says that is too much, he spends the 7mill elsewhere, and THAT team thinks he paid too much for those players.

We love you in NE Nate!

Hey Nate, Want to win a superbowl? You'll love the weather here. This would be a great FA signing as it would put BB/SP in the catbird seat come draft-time.
I would love to see the Pats sign Clements.... :rocker: :rocker:

AndyJohnson said:
ITs amazing to me that when we use the entire cap every year, there is still this idea that every other team would pay more for any player than BB would. Thats impossible. He pays as much for a 53 man roster as anyone.

Fair point. But I think he's more inclined to increase the quality of players #40-53 on the roster with the money it will take to nab the top player at a position. He spends as much or more cap dollars than every other team, but IMO, he spreads those dollars around better than anybody.

I mean, many teams were willing to pay Ty more than we were last year at the same position. Sometimes the market is just out of control.

If we have a need at corner, and, for the sake of argument, the Eagles, Cardinals, Redskins, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Vikings have need at corner, do you really believe Clements' best financial offer is going to come from Belichick? There's market value, and then there's bidding wars which exponentially inflate the market value. I don't see BB winning one of those. At some point, the investment becomes much too large for the return to be worth it, and nobody sees it better than him.

dryheat44 said:
I mean, many teams were willing to pay Ty more than we were last year at the same position. Sometimes the market is just out of control.

If we have a need at corner, and, for the sake of argument, the Eagles, Cardinals, Redskins, Cowboys, Seahawks, and Vikings have need at corner, do you really believe Clements' best financial offer is going to come from Belichick? There's market value, and then there's bidding wars which exponentially inflate the market value. I don't see BB winning one of those. At some point, the investment becomes much too large for the return to be worth it, and nobody sees it better than him.

Fair point Dryheat but don't overlook another key question financially that only one person can answer. Is Nate all about the money or is Nate looking at where can I get fair money but have the best shot at playing for a possible ring? Could change his focus team totally.

AndyJohnson said:
If Belichick believes he is the best corner in the NFL, and we have need there, the biggest offer he will get is from us.

I hate this consistent commentary that regardless of who the player is we wont offer them market value.
Belichick judges MV based on how the player comoares to alternatives (as well as fitting the system). He pays market value--his opinion of value, not someone else's.

I don't think anyone is saying what you imply. What they are saying is as the best available corner on the market Nate will probably end up with offers that significantly overpay market value - and it is unlikely one of those offers comes from this organization. As you yourself said, BB pays his opinion of market value, not someone else's, and he seldom overpays based on either. He also doesn't value (or overvalue) the CB position quite as highly as some organizations and defenses do. His system places more emphasis on elite LB and safety play, because that's what the scheme is built around. While he certainly prefers to have above average corners he will not likely break the bank for an elite one. That was his problem with Ty.

Clements may be a moot point anyway. The franchise tag for CB's dropped substantially this season from $8.81M to $5.89M. Buffalo could easily tag him for themselves (they are projected about $10M under before restructures or cuts to some bloated and underperforming vets, and if he's not amenable (he apparently wants to be among the highest paid) then he's a very good candidate to tag and trade to a team who already covets him at above market cost. He's also a little too young to be likely handing out ring discounts either since at 26 this is his all important big second contract coming off a rookie deal the Bills played all the way out.

dryheat44 said:
I think he was the best CB in the league last year.

By "last year," did you mean the 2004 season?

Clements had a horrible 2005 season.

Sign Seymour...draft CB's in the later rounds

why spend big bucks on a free agent CB? Did Law turn the Jets around with his 10 INT season?

Push up front, stone the running game, blitz from all angles on passing downs = best pass defense strategy.

Have you all forgotten how we won in 2004?

Joker said:
Sign Seymour...draft CB's in the later rounds

why spend big bucks on a free agent CB? Did Law turn the Jets around with his 10 INT season?

Push up front, stone the running game, blitz from all angles on passing downs = best pass defense strategy.

Have you all forgotten how we won in 2004?

No but 10 INT's could have made a big difference in NE.

jimmyjames said:
No but 10 INT's could have made a big difference in NE.
So would 14 PI penalties. (5 declined because the play resulted in more yds.)

Fox Sports is reporting that Clements wants +$10 mil signing bonus. I just dont see the Pats paying that much.

nope

Digger44 said:
Fox Sports is reporting that Clements wants +$10 mil signing bonus. I just dont see the Pats paying that much.

Negative Ghostrider! Spend the extra jack$$ on Seymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back