Welcome to PatsFans.com

NASA study on global warming

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Triple-T, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +523 / 6 / -2

I saw this, and was going to post it. I hope this puts a handfull of nails in the global government, ponzi scheme coffin.
  3. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah. There may be global warming, but I always found the man-made argument to be a stretch. Global/solar systems are just way too massive to overwhelm.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +650 / 6 / -18

Before you lend this too much credence, do a little research on the author and his employer.
  5. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Read the other day that perhaps we need to go back to the older style spray cans ... the atmosphere needs more of those fluorocarbons.
  7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

You mean the University of Alabama?

Peer-review not good enough, eh? I keep forgetting that the "science is settled". Heretics will be excommunicated.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

More science on Ternberth's missing ocean heat:

An article on Trenberth's problem:

Major IPCC Climate Scientist Publishes Paper Listing Significant Failures of Climate Models | The SPPI Blog

Additional Information On The “Ocean’s Missing Heat” By Katsman and van Oldenborgh 2011 | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

Then we come to Mr Hockey stick himself M Mann and his tree ring proxies, this peer reviewed paper out of Norway says sheep have more impact on tree rings than CO2 & temps:

Additional Information On The “Ocean’s Missing Heat” By Katsman and van Oldenborgh 2011 | Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr.

Another article from Dr Tim Ball on issues with proxies:

Climate Change Dispatch - Exposing the fraud in the so-called consensus

The MMGW hypothesis is based on computer models when the measurements of the real world diverge from the prediction of a Computer climate model it means the model is wrong.
  9. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hear you. The article was clearly biased, but if actual measurements are being made about assumptions in a model, then it's relevant.

I'll leave it to others to peer review and continue the debate.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Let's not forget the CERN experiments are about to be publised on the Svensmark throuty of Cosmic Rays and Cloud formation.

Meanwhile here is a IPCC lead admitting that the goal is redistribution of wealth globally with of course Uncle Sam paying the most:

«Klimapolitik verteilt das Weltvermögen neu» (Politik, Schweiz, NZZ Online)

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Global Warming is just another "loon cause" something to babble about at their Granola & White Wine C0cktail partys, there is a religion growing and we all now know what religion can do, far more dangerous to the world than Al (Boob) Gores bullsh!t.

Godamn Oil
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,049 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

How is the temperature in the garage - if it's normal then there is no global warming.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: What a brilliant comeback! :rofl: :rofl:

Here's a clue you really need: If you have a point to make, then it falls on you to do the research and present conclusions, not vice-versa.
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

You link to an article that seems to present one denier's application of NASA data to his own model as fact. But, it seems that a number of people maintain that Spencer's model is all wrong. This is about as newsworthy as if Al Gore put out a press release.

Global Warming Debunked! Or...not. | Climate Central

Spencer, himself a bona fide climate scientist, albeit one whose views often lie outside the consensus, basically says that changes in cloud cover are a major cause of climate change. Just about everyone else in the field, by contrast, considers clouds to be a feedback mechanism in the climate system.

Now Spencer is saying that data from NASA's Terra satellite supports his controversial claim. This already shows the Forbes headline to be somewhat misleading: it's not that NASA data are blowing a hole in anything. It's that Spencer's interpretation of NASA data are blowing... something, somewhere.

But that interpretation depends on a climate model created by Spencer, and a number of climate scientists, having read the paper, are not impressed.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Spenser is in fact saying that Clouds have a lot to do with regulating temperature. That Clouds (which Trenberth has admitted can't be modeled by computers) reflect sunlight and serve to transport heat h up through the atmosphere cooling the planet. This is contrary to what the computer modelers predict.

Spenser paper shows that the data being collected matches the predictions of his model and contradict the assumptions embedded in the computer models that clouds would heat up the atmosphere.

The writer is correct that the Title of the article is hyped as the issue isn't whether the planet is warming or not (It hasn't for 15 years), but rather the sensitivity of the climate to the amount of CO2 and whether or nor there is a positive feed back caused by CO2.

The data shows that there is a negative feedback not a positive feedback. IOW low climate sensitive to CO2 ie little to no contribution to human activity to climate.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

As I've said for a long time, the math behind global warming is quite complex, no matter whose model we look at. Therefore, I turn to experts and sources that I always trusted -- ones who I trusted even prior to the global warming debate. Those sources are Scientific American, Discovery Magazine, National Geographic, and perhaps a few others. I don't think they have ulterior motives.

Forbes, of course being a business publication, has a direct interest in global warming denying (especially since Forbes likely represents old money). Forbes headline, "New NASA Data Blow Gaping Hole In Global Warming Alarmism," was biased to the extreme. The headline should have said, Established global warming denier says his model shows global warming overhyped.

Although I'm well read in many sciences, I do not pretend to be an expert in all fields and thus look for nonbiased sources. Do you have any?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Trust has nothing to do with it. There are models and the issue whether empirical data and measurements supports the model or not. In the case of the Models the publications you cite 'believe' the data coming in not doesn't match the predictions of the models. The question is whether and when they will admit they were wrong if the data and empirical measurements continue to contradict the predictions of a forcing caused by CO2.

They have a lot vested in their belief and we see frequently that people hang onto their 'beliefs' even when proven wrong. See the poor people who believed they would be taken to heaven last May. That is the problem with belief.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

You are saying the data contradicts their predictions, but the data only contradicts their predictions if that data is processed through a model by a global warming denier. If processed through a model by someone who believes in global warming, it does not contract their predictions. Can't you leave bias out of this discussion? Who are your objective sources? I've named mine. Name yours. I guarantee that if the sources I cited change their tune, I will change my tune, but so far far they generally seem to believe in global warming.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 7 / -9

Click your link, 13, and read the number of times the adjective "alarmist" appears in the article.

With that level of reliance on coloring the language of the presentation, doesn't it seem likely that the rest of us will remain unimpressed with your latest denier site "find"?

Why the need for the adjectival pile-up, if there's anything to the claim?

PFnV
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Well since you don't understand math and science I guess grammar and punctuation is all you have to make judgments.

Which article btw I linked quite a number of them?

How bout the IPCC lead author admitting in the German mag that the goal was redistribution of wealth?

Cat got you tongue om that topic?