Welcome to PatsFans.com

NASA discovers new life

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

NASA - NASA-Funded Research Discovers Life Built With Toxic Chemical

Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

CRAZY. This pumps up the odds of life existing elsewhere in the universe a million fold.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

If We Are Here
    Why Are They Not There

:bricks:

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

They are there. They're just not here.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

So wait, science was wrong then? It can't be!

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,080 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

NASA discovered that Harry was still alive :confused3:

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Where did that text come from? I thought the bolder part sounded unscientific -- and, well, incorrect -- and it seemed to be contradicted by the very next sentence.

Sure enough, it doesn't appear to be from the linked NASA release.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

How exactly was "science" "wrong"?

(Unlike many people -- and maybe more institutions -- scientists are usually well aware they could be wrong, and are always testing assumptions and "knowledge.")

9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

"Science" and scientists have been wrong many, many times. And they'll continue to be wrong many more times. Why do you question someone stating "science was wrong"?

The statement said, "something scientists thought was IMPOSSIBLE"...well, obviously, they were wrong.

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

But whose statement was that? It wasn't NASA's -- see my post to HD just ahead of the one you quoted.

Getting back to your questions -- given the 2nd part of my post you cited, and what I pointed out / asked of HD, I'm not sure your questions really make sense. "Science" isn't wrong because a hypothesis or a theory is found to be false, incomplete or less likely. That's why they're labeled hypotheses or theories -- not facts.

11. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The basis of science is to interpret the evidence and observations we have available. As new evidence is found, the understanding of the universe, our world and nature becomes more complete, that is not to say what was understood before was wrong, just incomplete,

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I think for some reason, you stand on the side of science. Just my gut feeling Chico. You seem to WANT to defend science likes it's something that should be defended.

Science never was and never will be perfect. Science can be wrong and will continue to be wrong until the end of time as we know it.

Keeping in mind that "Science" encompasses hundreds upon hundreds of fields.

Hypothetical Example: Science says that a particular insect came from "such & such" family. Then they say they wrong and correct themselves. Even if they never actually looked at the DNA of the insect, they were still wrong. Science can't say their previous statement was "incomplete" because DNA technology wasn't available. In such a case, they were wrong, period.

Otherwise science would be a perfect....well, SCIENCE.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Another one who believes science has never been wrong.

Guess what...you're wrong!

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

First off, I think you need to re-read my 2 posts from yesterday. What, exactly, do you take the following to mean: "Unlike many people -- and maybe more institutions -- scientists are usually well aware they could be wrong, and are always testing assumptions and 'knowledge.' "

Second, do I stand on the side of science? To the extent that I know what that means, of course I do. Who wouldn't? Science makes our lives better and it expands our knowledge of our world. Don't you "stand on the side of science"?

Part of this is terminology, though: I don't know what it means for "science" to be wrong -- science is a field of study, not a particular theory or hypothesis -- a hypothesis being disproven doesn't make the field wrong.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

OK...now I see where we're missing one another.

I probably should have written that "scientists are wrong all the time" instead of writing "science is wrong"

Does that help?

I like much of what science has done, but certainly not close to ALL science has done. Am I in awe of science? Never have been and never will be. It's just another field to me.

The only thing that "awes" me is nature. Oh, and Tom Brady!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Yes, that's what I wrote in the first place! :)

I'm in awe of certain aspects of science. I think it's good not to take for granted what some of our fellow humans have accomplished. Photos from spacecraft sent to Jupiter? That's pretty amazing. Remotely re-coding software in spacecraft that are exploring other planets? I can't even get my BluRay to update from the DVD I burned. The simple fact of satellite TV and individual GPS systems functioning as they do? All pretty awe-inspiring, to me.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I think such things can be awe inspiring because we don't understand them. But you & I "could" understand it all had we pursued that career.

I say I'm in awe of nature because it will never be fully understood. And then we have the incredible number of years our planet has existed. Add to that the remarkable consistency of our sun, our orbit...I could go on & on. But I'll stop there.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +229 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

Just out of curiosity, what is NASA doing researching lifeforms in the desert? With their limited budget, shouldn't they be concentrating on, I dunno, space?

19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +229 / 5 / -4

#75 Jersey

The article doesn't really answer the question that it asks:

It would be very interesting to see if they discovered a new DNA sructure based on arsenic. That would be potentially the biggest biological find of the last 50 years (an alternate DNA structure).

20. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Science can be a wonderful thing for humanity. It has obviously helped us in many ways. Science gave us nuclear energy but it has also given us the atomic bomb. It has given us our means of communication but it has also given us various weaponry.
    Can science give us our moral values?
    I tend to think it would end up being "Do what thou will".
    That is why that as much as I respect and admire science as a means of discovery, I would hesitate to allow it to make up our moral code.
    Sorry if I went a bit off topic but it just seemed to be where this thread is heading anyways.

Now this whole whole thing about life thriving in arsenic sure is intriguing.
    Wonder if such a species could evolve into an intelligent life form.
    Wonder how it would effect us. Would it try to kill us or reach out to be our friends. Somehow I doubt the latter.
    Better kill it before it grow.:D