Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nanny State: Boston fining people who smoke outside, at roof deck bars & bistros

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

This nanny state so blows. This is a prime example of overkill. I hope the owners of business' challenge this in court. They are out-*******-side! What a joke.

Outdoor bistros say stringent smoking rules will kill biz

Fume and doom

By Richard Weir
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 - Updated 15h ago

Hub bar and restaurant owners are burning up over the city’s sudden crackdown on puffing patrons on rooftop decks or in sidewalk cafes as part of the city’s tough new workplace smoking rules.

“I’m afraid we’re going to lose business,” said Tony Castagnozzi of the Rattlesnake Bar and Grill on Bolyston Street. “People will say, ‘Screw it. We’ll go out of town to a place where we can have dinner and a cigar outside.’ It just makes it tougher and tougher to do business in the city.”

Last month, city inspectors began visiting the 250 or so bars and cafes with decks and patios, handing out warning letters and putting proprietors on notice that they face costly fines - $200 for a first offense, $700 for a second and $1,000 for a third - if customers are caught smoking in any “adjacent outdoor area” served by staff.

Outdoor bistros say stringent smoking rules will kill biz - BostonHerald.com

2. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

City is desperate for money and the mayor is a stickler for a municipal meal tax, they will find anything to fine to get it :rolleyes:

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Oh I get it alright. This place sucks. You can't even smoke OUTSIDE. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a ******* state we live in. baaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

A carton of Marlboro's:

Florida $32.99
    MA $80

ahahahahahahahaha...and just like a cookie....

4. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's not a recent thing with Menino either...he has wanted the meals tax for years even in the best of times and has been one of the weasels who have forced things like the ban on trans fats and non-hybrid taxis. He is using this ban as a way to get that meal tax approved with little battle from the people it will actually affect.

When the law allowing the municipalities to adopt the meal tax he was the biggest cheerleader and will probably be the first one with a ordinance ready for council approval. Oh well, Boston loses out on fine restaurants and customers to Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, and Quincy :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -15

#24 Jersey

Just wait until we have national health insurance. Remember the thread when someone wanted to ban soda because it's bad for you ? Imagine the Dems banning everything because it costs too much for their stupid national health care system.

6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There you have it :) Cigarettes in this state have literally become almost contraband. I know people who go FLA and/or the Carolinas on a regular basis, and whoever smokes puts their order in.

Just wait til this government gets it's tentacles into Healthcare.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

I'm a social smoker. I might smoke 5 ciggs a month. Not 5 packs, 5 ciggarettes. I've been that way since college. Anyhow, my buddy is a legit smoker, as is his brother. When we left Florida, we took home about 15 cartons in our suitcases. I mean, WTF, $32.99 for a carton of Marlboro's!?! To think that Florida doesn't even have an income tax either. Their Health Index ranking must totally blow.

I want to remind people that the difference in cost per carton, from Florida, to Massachusetts, is ALL TAX. Think about that.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

When the cigarette ban went into effect in Rhode Island it ruined many bar and pub businesses ... Massachusetts followed with their own ban. Those same bars and pubs have since seen their business return. Places that serve food are happier now with the ban ... business is better.

Now here's the kicker ... Mass. law was a bit different than Rhode Island law in that it still allowed smoking in private clubs ... social clubs so to speak. In the beginning those social clubs reaped a windfall of business as smokers went to them. Now ... those same social clubs are hurting badly as people have gotten used to smoking outside and/or now like that their local hangouts and eateries are not filled with smoke.

Does seem a bit cruel for them to do this but times have changed and non-smokers far outnumber smokers. these outside areas are just skirting the law that was put into effect for good reasons.

As an asthmatic and someone who has never smoked
    ... I must admit I am biased towards the non-smoking laws ... for the record.;)

9. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

A person could go to FLA and buy cartons of cigarettes, come here to MA (or even NYC), sell those cartons for $50.00, and still make money. Smokers in MA would line up to pay $50.00 a carton.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

I like the fact that people don't smoke indoors anymore, at clubs and stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that the ordinance is BS. It should be up to the owner of the establishment to decide whether or not smoking will be allowed in his place. If he wants his bar to be a smoking establishment, so be it. People who don't want to go there cuz of it, don't have to. If he wants to be no smoke, then smokers can go elsewhere just the same. The fact that the state dictates to owners what they can do with their own place, is BS. The outside stuff is ridiculous in and of itself. You are outside. Hello, outside, as in open air, no walls, no windows, not enclosed.

11. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I hear you, and I think its not fair. Having said that, I'm more then ok with the laws. I like to sit outside or walk down a sidewalk without going thru a cloud of smoke. The other side of that equation (not being fair) is that for the past 10 years congress has blocked anti-smoking campaigns for children. After typing that last sentence, quite honestly, I could give a rats asss concerning non-smoking ordinances.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +522 / 14 / -28

As much as I hate smoking in tight places.. always felt it was my and the establishment's choice.. allow places be smoke free or allow smoking.. people can choose where they work and what establishments they frequent.. there is too much regulation and subsequent enforcement..

In the 80's when I was a heavy smoker, went to a really good italian restaurant and after a wait found out it was a non-smoking establishment.. we left, now I would probably not eat in a restaurant that allowed smoking.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Meh, has the Razor ever allowed smoking while seated? Except for Lansdown street and Yawkey way, there's no place past the ticket checkers where you can smoke in Fenway.

I'm a fairly heavy smoker and I got over this years ago. The state isn't denying me rights, its protecting the rights of others to not also smoke my cigarettes.

14. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have no problems with the fines, and the smoke doesn't even bother me........

I think smoking should be banned in all public places because it incites littering with people throwing butts all over the place

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Say what? So how about your home then. I'm guessing that the state can pretty much tell you that YOU cannot smoke in your own home, since someone might come over, that doesn't smoke. In such a scenario, the state would not be denying you the right to smoke (in your own home), since it would really be protecting the rights of others, to not also smoke your ciggarettes.

We're not talking about public places here, like city hall, the library, or any other gubmit building. We're not even talking about an arena, or theatre. We're talking about a private business, and more specifically, an outside area. This is absolutely a situation where the state is denying rights. It's denying rights to the owner of an establishment to run his business as he/she deems fit, while also denying the rights of a smoker in an open air area. It's BS.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Public fine, private no.

Maybe the state should ban drive thru's, since people simply toss their burger wrappers, and pastic cups, out the window. How about bubble gum. Gum chewing should be banned as well, since people simply spit out their gum all over the place.

17. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its all pretty ridiculous, I used to love going to the roof bar of the rattlesnake on a nice summer night and be able to smoke a few cigs with my icy cold beer.