Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nancy Pelosi using military aircraft to fly family across the country?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I've only seen this in blogs and such, but apparently Judicial Watch has filed some FOIA requests, and uncovered some real waste here.

New Documents Detailing Pelosi’s Use of Air Force Aircraft

Guest Commentator on January 30, 2010 in Federal GNC

House Speaker’s Military Travel Cost the United States Air Force $2,100,744.59 over a Two-Year Period, Including $101,429 for In-Flight Expenses

Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has obtained documents from the Air Force detailing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s use of United States Air Force aircraft for Congressional Delegations (CODELs). According to the documents, obtained by Judicial Watch through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Speaker’s military travel cost the United States Air Force $2,100,744.59 over a two-year period — $101,429.14 of which was for in-flight expenses, including food and alcohol. The following are highlights from the recent release of about 2,000 documents:

» Speaker Pelosi used Air Force aircraft to travel back to her district at an average cost of $28,210.51 per flight. The average cost of an international CODEL is $228,563.33. Of the 103 Pelosi-led congressional delegations (CODEL), 31 trips included members of the House Speaker’s family.
    » One CODEL traveling from Washington, DC, through Tel Aviv, Israel to Baghdad, Iraq May 15-20, 2008, “to discuss matters of mutual concern with government leaders” included members of Congress and their spouses and cost $17,931 per hour in aircraft alone. Purchases for the CODEL included: Johnny Walker Red scotch, Grey Goose vodka, E&J brandy, Bailey’s Irish Crème, Maker’s Mark whiskey, Courvoisier cognac, Bacardi Light rum, Jim Beam whiskey, Beefeater gin, Dewars scotch, Bombay Sapphire gin, Jack Daniels whiskey, Corona beer and several bottles of wine.

New Documents Detailing Pelosi’s Use of Air Force Aircraft | LVTSG

So we pay up to $18k an hour for the flight, but little Pelosi pays $264? WTF is this all about? Congress, from top to bottom (D & R) should be audited ASAP. I can guarantee you that she is not the only one doing this. This is an outrage!

[​IMG]

Un-frickin-believable: U.S. Military Serving as Chauffeurs, Babysitters for the Pelosi Kids: Receipts That Will Blow Your Mind

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I wonder if the Obama bows to Queen Pelosi when he sees her.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

Pelosi is a disgrace to the people of America, a disgusting political hack piece of sh!t, America tolerates her, America deserves her, go get em Nancy the more you suck on your false teeth and grin at them the more they love you, you friggin old hag.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Americans are losing their homes while Nancy lives large.

Why do I get the feeling she feels she is the new Kennedy in DC ... royalty???

She's supposedly a practicing Catholic ... :rofl: ... if she's a Catholic then God is certainly on vacation.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Actually, if you look hard enough (i.e. - "google") you'll find lots of information - from both sides of the coin.

Judicial Watch has received much attention from the usual right-wing outlets for its recent mini-report claiming that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi spent $2 million in taxpayer money on Air Force aircraft. The press release seems rather deliberately underwritten, suggesting that much, if not all, of that money was spent solely on Pelosi and her immediate family -- for example, their press release's headline states that Pelosi's "Military Travel Cost the United States Air Force $2,100,744.59 over a Two-Year Period." But the release later discloses that the data is actually for "103 Pelosi-led congressional delegations" -- i.e., the congressional delegations set up through the Speaker's office, many of which included other members of Congress as well -- not her personal travel.

Judicial Watch is also completely silent about the passenger lists for these CODELs -- perhaps because some of them include Republican members of Congress and their spouses.

Judicial Watch hides facts in attack on Pelosi flights | Media Matters for America

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I would agree with Harry Boy's characterization of Pelosi, but I would also agree with the Mrs.PFinVA - it happens from both parties. I think she's a particularly flagrant example, but it's indicative of the general attitude of those in Washington. They use our tax dollars for their ridiculous requests all the time, and it's an unfortunate facet of the culture that's developed there. Without more outrage from the public though, it'll just get swept by the wayside and continue.

It reminds me of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. If you haven't seen that movie, do yourself a favor and check it out.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 11 / -14

IIRC Gingrich flew commercial....

BTW what does a $1,000 a week of booze and food have to do with being in the line of succession. I won't even get into the 3M spent on the junket to Copenhagen in Dec where she had no role.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Gingrich served as Speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999.

Following the attacks of 9/11/2001, the Bush White House instituted a policy for the Speaker of the House, for security reasons, to travel on a military plane – whenever available – back and forth to their congressional district only.

Use of Aircraft
    The availability and size of the military aircraft is determined by the Department of Defense. Typically, when Speaker Pelosi uses military aircraft to travel between her Congressional District and Washington, the military assigns the same 12-seat aircraft used by her predecessor, Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois.

The House Sergeant at Arms asked for an aircraft that can travel between the District and Washington without refueling citing security reasons.

Pentagon mum on Pelosi flights - First Read - msnbc.com

"Nuff said - the comparison is null and void per Bush edict.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Newt Gingrich was Speaker when we had a President who was more successful at keeping our country safe. Perhaps if Obama keeps our country safe for several years, without losing Americans overseas, either, we can return to normalcy. Until then, we seem to be in a fairly paranoid time, and that being the case security for the third in line of succession seems reasonable. That doesn't mean there are ways to do it for less and to avoid waste, but I don't think the whole thing is a waste, though I would support looking into all the costs associated with flying military aircraft. Why does it cost so much? Perhaps we're overpaying our the personnel involved, the parts suppliers, and so on. Did Judicial Watch get that info?

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

Things have changed since 9-11... but the booze is difficult to justify, she should pay for that.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +772 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

If people read my post, you'd see that I said D's & R's need to be audited ASAP. Also, go to the links I provided, and click on some of the uploaded paperwork at the assorted websites. It shows the specifics of some of those flights, with respect to who was on them, and what the family members paid. Also, why the **** is there Grey Goose Vodka on those flights, at my expense? This is BS. This goes for both parties. Their family can litterally fly coach. **** this BS. I hope the government goes bankrupt, and we get to start over real soon.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

There is probably no disagreement, however you posted this as an exclusive Pelosi issue.. Congress if getting more out of touch by the day.

Here is an even more basic question,why is there any alcohol on any military flight???.. that should be outlawed.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I actually made a point about both parties. Maybe you didn't see it, since it was between article links. I should have made it clearer maybe.

I agree on the booze Daryl. Why do these jokers need Grey Goose on their comped flights? Someone in here will argue that "it's only booze". It's the principle dammit. They waste tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, on booze alone in a fiscal year. That's BS!

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Without even looking further in this thread, I can guarantee you that no one will even attempt to defend this unacceptable behavior.

Nancy is the very definition of an arrogant politician. She actually believes she is a powerful & privileged woman!:rolleyes: As do most of our federal politicians....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010