Name your random day-2 picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thought this might be a way for us all to get acquainted with some of the less familiar names worth tracking in rounds 4-7. I'm especially thinking of players at positions that we haven't talked to death as primary targets, but who might be good fits. (I.e., if you name a CB unless he should be a true late-round sleeper). Anybody game?

To get the ball rolling, I'll offer up:

Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky
6'1" 201, 4.44 4.20(!) 6.77(!)
Burton seems like a potentially major talent with a major injury history, and as such a good swing-for-the-fences gamble if he's around circa rd 5. He's a physical player, strong with his hands and active as a blocker. Good field awareness and concentration, long arms and good extension, excellent work habits. Quickness numbers are exceptional for his size. Has struggled with a series of injuries to wrist, foot and ankle.

I almost hate to mention him as last year I was pushing his college teammate Usama Young (who went from a 5-6th rounder to being drafted in the 3rd). My pick is CB Jack Williams of Kent State, a bit of a smurf @ 5'9'', 186. 4.42 forty, though he did sub- 4.35 at his pro day. 41' verticle jump. Described by scouts.com as having a "nasty streak". Led nation in his Junior year in tackles for loss (this is a cb we're talking about here). Dean Pees recruit @ Kent, so he should feel comfortable with the system right away. He might be available with our 4th round choice...

Kenny Iwebema DE Iowa
6'4" - 270 4.9
He has a good motor and rushes well from the outside. He isn't at all effective inside on the pass rush, although he is OK versus the run. Maybe a Pats 6th round DE/OLB conversion pick for a year or two down the road. He is also a horse on special teams, blocking at least 3 kicks that I can remember.

Last edited:
Todd Blythe WR Iowa St.
6'5" - 210 4.6
Blythe was great as a red-zone threat at ISU. He doesn't accel real well and he might play slower than his 4.6, but he is a SMART receiver that doesn't make mistakes and could fit in as a 5th receiver as a 7th rounder or UFA.

Dominique Barber, Safety, Minnesota

Marion Barber's little brother

Curtis Johnson, DE, Clark Atlanta
6'3" 244 4.69 25 4.46 6.78
Rare tiny-conference player with the skills and physique of a classic 3-4 OLB. By all reports Johnson has excellent burst and quickness, is strong with his hands, and has a ideal build with considerable physical upside (Clark Atlanta's fitness program is hardly top tier). Highly self-motivated, alert on the field, plays with urgency and nastiness. The big drawbacks are the extremely low level of competition faced, and the reason for it -- he's a juco transfer who struggles academically and could have difficulty learning multiple roles in a complex defense.

Edit: from Condraft (complete with original typos): "You can tell he loves to play the game. Showns tremendous pursuit, running down playe away from him. Field awareness, with a knack for getting to the ball and creating havac.

I almost hate to mention him as last year I was pushing his college teammate Usama Young (who went from a 5-6th rounder to being drafted in the 3rd). My pick is CB Jack Williams of Kent State, a bit of a smurf @ 5'9'', 186. 4.42 forty, though he did sub- 4.35 at his pro day. 41' verticle jump. Described by scouts.com as having a "nasty streak". Led nation in his Junior year in tackles for loss (this is a cb we're talking about here). Dean Pees recruit @ Kent, so he should feel comfortable with the system right away. He might be available with our 4th round choice...

I had mentioned Williams in another thread...did you see what the cat dragged in? :)
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=856915
Quite a charming personal reference, actually! I especially liked the "His only mistress is football" bit.

Still sticking with my favorite longshot:
SS----Wesley Woodyard-Univ. of Kentucky 6'2 227
He led the SEC in tackles with 137
Had alot of peoples eyes opened at the senior bowl
Lit up the combine with the 2nd fastest LB time
He insists he can play LB at his size, but I like him at SS. A year behind Rodney, this guy is always around the ball. Look at the tackles, he ALWAYS takes the best angle and NEVER MISSES. That to me is what I want in a SS! BB used to like the "big nickel", converting a LB to SS could be something that would interest him. He will make the team drafted in the 4-6th rd, when was the last time THAT happened??

Joe Jon Finley TE OKla
Franklin Dunbar OT/OG Mid Tenn
Joey Haynos TE Md
Craig Stelz SS LSU - love this guy in a football way
Jacob Hester RB/FB LSU
Jack Ikegwuonu CB Wisc might have to PUP him but it could be worth it.

Joe Jon finley is an excellent receiving TE, although next year they have greshem who is more well rounded.

My random 2nd day selection is DJ Wolfe CB from Oklahoma. He is not as polished as some, but with a little work he has he talent to exceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back