PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name Your "project" Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a guy in mind who may be drafted in the 5-7th round as a "project". By that I mean a guy who has no chance of palying a regular positon this year but chould develope into a solid player in a year or two. It could be a guy who played a certain postion in college but needs to play a different position in the NFL and will need some time to develope.

My choice is Dwayne Slay, S, Texas Tech. If we can grab him in the 5th round, he will be a ST demon this year. However he will need time to develope at another position, my guess is ILB. At 6'3 and 210 he is too slow and doesn't have the coverage skills to play S in the NFL. However he could bulk up 20lbs on that 6'3 frame and be a solid ILB. At 230-235 he could be a horse as a run stopper.

Comments? Who do you have in mind for a "project"?

Last edited:
I'm not being a reply whore. But, no one has a thougt on a "project" pick?

Chris Gocong

There's just too many of them. I have to do some serious narrowing to get it down to one or two.

dryheat44 said:
There's just too many of them. I have to do some serious narrowing to get it down to one or two.

What do you think of the Slay suggestion? Or do you think he can play S in the NFL?

PATSNUTme said:
What do you think of the Slay suggestion? Or do you think he can play S in the NFL?

I think his best position in the NFL would be a traditional, run support, strong safety. He's even got the name for it.

He lacks in size, speed, agility, and strength, so I don't know where you would put him at linebacker. But for SS he's big and fast enough.

Last edited:
Tim Dobbins, ILB- Iowa State
I think if PArham from Virginia is not a pick for the pats, dobbins could be in the 4th. He is a great run stuffer and good tackler, he needs work on his coverage skills, but has good size and speed to fit into the system. Plus, Ellis Hobbs needs another Cyclone on the team with him.

midwestpatsfan said:
Tim Dobbins, ILB- Iowa State
I think if PArham from Virginia is not a pick for the pats, dobbins could be in the 4th. He is a great run stuffer and good tackler, he needs work on his coverage skills, but has good size and speed to fit into the system. Plus, Ellis Hobbs needs another Cyclone on the team with him.

That was my first thought too, but I've been talking him up so much I can't call him my project anymore.

Jon Alston! Convert from from a OLB to a SS. Hits like a truck. Smart. Hardworker. Very good in coverage from the OLB position. But can he cover good enough to play safety. If you think he can then he could be a demon of a SS. Perfect replacement for Rodneya year or 2 down the road.

dryheat44 said:
That was my first thought too, but I've been talking him up so much I can't call him my project anymore.

I'll apply those same words to Rook's choice of Tim McGarigle. Same size as Dobbins, better measurables, and 545 career tackles, 319 solo. Plus the descriptions of his approach to the game sound almost like Bruschi.

Dryheat, I was curious that you didn't mention McGarigle in your 3rd-round ILB group...any thoughts?

Odlirama said:
Jon Alston! Convert from from a OLB to a SS. Hits like a truck. Smart. Hardworker. Very good in coverage from the OLB position. But can he cover good enough to play safety. If you think he can then he could be a demon of a SS. Perfect replacement for Rodneya year or 2 down the road.

Good choice. His 4.55 speed puts him right in there with other SS.

One of the reasons I chose Slay as a project to convert to ILB was his 4.81 speed. Plus he has the body to add bulk.

patchick said:
I'll apply those same words to Rook's choice of Tim McGarigle. Same size as Dobbins, better measurables, and 545 career tackles, 319 solo. Plus the descriptions of his approach to the game sound almost like Bruschi.

Dryheat, I was curious that you didn't mention McGarigle in your 3rd-round ILB group...any thoughts?

He's been on my radar screen for over a month now.

Been looking for a late day two WR similar to the way we grabbed David Givens although I hope we also take one NLT the 4th round as well. My pick is Delanie Walker from Central Missouri St. Hasn't played against top opponents and has a lot to learn but at 6'1", 236 lbs and a 4.53 forty think he is worth taking a shot at if he has the right work ethic.

PATSNUTme said:
Another good choice. If he's going to make it , it doesn't look like he'll do it as a DE.

I really think he's on the Pats radar. There was the report that Vrabel was working out with the fellas from Ohio St. and perhaps there is a connection there.

PATSNUTme said:
Good choice. His 4.55 speed puts him right in there with other SS.

One of the reasons I chose Slay as a project to convert to ILB was his 4.81 speed. Plus he has the body to add bulk.
Alston's Combine 40 was 4.44, many see that as clinching him for day one. What heat said about Slay.

PATSNUTme said:
Sigh, nag, nag, nag!

Off the top of my head...

Projects, defined as 6th round or later:

DE Daniel Federkiel 6'7" 275 Calgary = OLB/3-4 DE
DE/OLB Brandon Guillory 6'4" 250 Louisiana-Monroe = OLB
DE Brent Hawkins 6'3" 244 Illinois State = OLB
DE David Tollefson 6'4" 255 Northwest Mo. State = OLB
DE John Chick 6'3" 265 Utah State = OLB
DE Ryan 6-3 250 Lacasse Syracuse = OLB
DE Andrew Schable 6'4" 285 South Dakota = OLB/ILB/3-4 DE

MLB Shomari Earls 6'2" 253 Florida Atlantic = ILB
OLB Fredricc Brock 6'4" 245 Texas Southern = ILB

DT Manase Hopoi 6'4" 290 Washington = DE
DT Gerald Anderson 6'2" 313 Georgia = NT
DT Antwan Burton 6'3" 315 Temple = NT

The following are all CBs - I'm still trying to winnow them down a bit :rolleyes: .
Gabriel Fulbright 5'10" 169 New Mexico
Justin Phinisee 5'11" 200 Oregon
Tramon Williams 5'11" 183 Louisiana Tech
Trestin George 5'9" 178 San Jose State
Kevin Dockery 5'9" 187 Mississippi State
Ryan Redd 5'10 182 Miami (OH)
Drew Coleman 5'11" 173 TCU
Theo Baines 5'11" 190 Kansas
Alex Teems 5'10" 190 Washington State
LaMarcus Hicks 6' 190 Iowa State
Quincy Butler 6'1"195 TCU
James Johnson 5'8" 185 Arkansas State
Dion Byrum 5'11" 192 Ohio U
Aaron Gipson 5'8" 182 Oregon
Blake Saunders 5'9" 170 Delaware State
Stephen Cason 6' 210 William & Mary
Chris Williams 5'10"190 Colgate
Clint Kent 5'10" 190 James Madison
David Jiles 5'9" 180 Monmouth
Etienne Boulay 5'9" 180 New Hampshire
Cletis Gordon 6'2" 195 Jackson State
Michael Ford 6'2" 190 Duquesne
Quinton Teal 6'1" 187 Coastal Carolina
Kwesi Williams 5'10" 185 Morehead State
Allante Harrison 5'10" 175 Towson
Dennis Mitchell 5'8" 185 Western Kentucky
Cortland Finnegan 5'10" 188 Samford
Corey-Khalil Harden 5'11" 184 Alabama A&M
Brad Brachear 5'10" 185 Southern Illinois
Terrance Wright 5'11" 190 St. Peter's
Francis Brown 5'10" 190 Western Carolina

OG/OC Jason Palermo 6-3 310 Wisconsin
OC/OG Jasper Harvey 6'3" 305 San Diego
OT Adam Stenavich 6’4†318 Michigan = OG
OC/OT Todd Londot 6'4" 304 Miami (OH)
OG Matt Lentz 6'5" 308 Michigan

TE Bob Docherty 6'5" 260 Wisconsin-Oshkosh
TE Ryan Hamby 6'5" 255 Ohio State
TE Tyler Ecker 6'6" 250 Michigan
TE Matt Henshaw 6'4" 248 Florida State
TE David Feliciano 6'4" 250 Harding
TE Brando Twito 6'5.5" 276 Pittsburg State (KS)
TE Zach Alcorn 6'4" 255 Black Hills State

WR Richie Ross 6’4†209 Nebraska-Kearny
WR Maurice Avery 6’1†216 Memphis
WR Chris Denney 6’3†224 Nebraska-Omaha
WR Adam Jennings 5’10†175 Fresno State = PR/KR
WR Steve Breaston 6'1" 178 Michigan = PR/KR

I haven't done much work on my OT, QB, RB, S, or STs boards yet, but here's a few quick hitters.

OT Richard Collier 6'7" 345 Valdosta State

QB Jeff Mroz 6'5" 230 Yale

RB P.J. Daniels Georgia Tech
RB P.J. Pope Bowling Green
RB Terrence Whitehead Oregon

OLB Kevin Schimmelmann 6'3" 231 Stanford = SS
OLB Keith Ellison 6'2" 227 Oregon State = SS
OLB Brian Iwuh 6'0" 225 Colorado = SS

Hope this helps with your reply issues! :D

PATSNUTme said:
BRODIE COYLE-QB-ALABAMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back