PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name your pleasant Patriot rookie surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to gauge the Rogers pick. Maybe it's because I didn't know anything about him before the Patriots grabbed him, but does anyone see Rogers as a part of this team's future? I just think it's funny that Lua seems a stronger pick and Bissinger seems to have more potential, IMHO.

NFL | Bessinger works out at Pro Day - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:56:13 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Alabama-Birmingham DE Kyle Bessinger measured a height of 6-foot-2 5/8 and a weight of 256 pounds at his Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds and 4.67 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.29 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.20 seconds. He measured a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-2 broad jump and completed 26 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

Let's see how Rogers plays, but it seems like he has some serious work to do.

lua has his work cut out for him. Never mind the other rookie LB that are in camp, he will also be competing against 2nd year LBs in woods and mays. Unless lua has an outstanding camp, I don't see him on the final 53.

Justis Hairston

I need him to succeed. Before the draft I sent a fellow-Patsfanner, and good buddy my list of players the Pats would draft. One of those on that list was Hairston.

Thus, I've been pulling for him. That's the only reason.:)

lua has his work cut out for him. Never mind the other rookie LB that are in camp, he will also be competing against 2nd year LBs in woods and mays. Unless lua has an outstanding camp, I don't see him on the final 53.

If Lua can contribute on STs without drawing penalties, he stands a very, very good chance of beating out Mays.

I ignored that bit of the original post because it seems to me that it is very unlikely to be fulfilled for anyone bar our first rounder, absent some other very unpleasant surprises (exceptionally heavy injuries or the unexpected loss of an established player as with Milloy/Wilson). The Patriots are built not to depend on rookies.

As you say, Elgin making the practice squad would already be a pleasant surprise.

OK...then I guess you have overlooked rookies such as Wilfork, Samuel, Wilson, Gostkowski, Branch, Koppen,to name a few.

I think we will surely see somebody come along and contribute this year - I was just throwing out there to see who everybody thinks may.

Lua, I doubt...he couldn't even start in college over a sophomore, and Pete Carrol is, if nothing else, a very solid defensive coach who clearly didn't see much in the kid.

Richardson would be great...but not holding my breath

My prediction, however, is Justice Hairston...the key will be how he looks on special teams.

Merriweather cannot be in this category because he is a #1 pick and thus expected to contribute in a big way early. It would not be a surprise for him to do well.

I have nothing to base this on, but something about Richardson tells me he makes this team. Maybe it's the Asante situation, but moreso is the kid's desire to do well in this system and make plays.

OK...then I guess you have overlooked rookies such as Wilfork, first rounder Samuel played as a nickel back despite multiple injuries in the secondary, IIRC, Wilson Lawyer's departure is my definition of a nasty surprise, Gostkowski special case -- drafted high (for a kicker), Branch don't recall his first season, Koppen couldn't swear, but wasn't the starting center injured (Hochstein?),to name a few.

I think we will surely see somebody come along and contribute this year - I was just throwing out there to see who everybody thinks may.

And I enjoyed the thread -- I just think that it is easier to guess who will be surprisingly good than who will (surprisingly) make a substantial contribution.

And I enjoyed the thread -- I just think that it is easier to guess who will be surprisingly good than who will (surprisingly) make a substantial contribution.

spliting hairs there a little bit arent we

I just hope there's one or two that really shine this year..some may take time..a few years of work, but I am hoping a few do..Lua would be a very pleasant surprise..and I too would go with him..although Mike Richardson stepping into the backfield would also be wonderful.

Kareem Brown DL. Great pick in the fourth imo. He was Miami's defensive player of the year and despite only starting for one year he ranks second in all time tackles by a DT and second in all time sacks for a DT at Miami, which means he was much more productive than the one year starter tag would suggest. He basically got stuck behind great talent in Miami and like many underclassment didn't get his starting job until later in his college career. He got knocked back by pre-draft workouts and a lack of them and his production didn't overcome that. He reminds me of Ty Warren and I think he'll develop into a really good player for them down the road.

Agree on Kareem Brown. I think he's in the right environment and surrounded by the right coaches and players to shine at the next level.

My second choice? Justin Rogers who will start with special teams and begin his apprentice at OLB.

I'm not very enthused by this rookie class. If I had to pick one to hang a hat on as a sleeper, it would be Richardson. He showed great quickness in the shuttle drills at the ND pro-day, but the ND shuttle scores may have been tainted by the use of small size cones which allowed quicker pivots. Still, I don't think the ND secondary talent was as bad as people made it out to be. The problem with the ND defense was substandard coaching, evidence for which was Charlie's firing of the D-coordinator.

I really would like O'Callaghan to come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back