PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name the 1 (one) thing you would change about the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never thought of this and ,obviously never heard of it...nice take...there MUST be a reason why this isn't allowed...reasoning from back in the old days or something.

IR was not always a season ender.

Checks and balances on the commish. No more Roger "Jong-Il" with his absolute authority. I would get rid of his lackeys, Hanks and Anderson, and appoint an independent authority for determining fines and suspensions for on-field incidents.

Someone like Rodney Harrison would be perfect. Someone who has played the game recently, but, unlike Hanks, would not be beholden to Goodell. With Rodney we would see fewer fines handed out and many more suspensions.

Fines do not deter behavior, just ask Suh about that. What has gone unsaid about this is: Does Goodell really want to deter these players? Think of the revenue generated from all these fines.

I say the NFL is profitable enough already. Let's improve the quality of play on the field by letting these guys play. No fines unless something like the Harrison incident happens, or the Pollard hit on Brady. Then give these guys a suspension for a few games and you're all set. If it happens again, give them an 8 game suspension. Then a season. Then a lifetime ban.

The current system doesn't work. As things are, there is practically no way to hit a QB legally. Teams are going to have to start drafting D lineman with law degrees! And on the other end of the spectrum, thugs like Harrison, Suh (and Ryan Clark is another) would just as soon try to kill someone because they are only losing a bit of money. The threat of not being able to play will teach these guys the lesson. Until this happens, I am convinced that the league is using this as added income.

Last edited:
Why would it be illegal? AFAIK, there's no protection against discrimination based on criminal records. . . .

There is. Employers have the right to enquire about criminal records, and can factor them into hiring decisions on a case by case basis, based on the nature of the both the job and crime, and how much time has passed, but they can't have a blanket policy against hiring ex-convicts.

So employers can legally exercise their own discretion for a lot of jobs -- anything that involves being entrusted with the care of children or the infirm, or anything that involves solo house calls, or being entrusted with access to other people's valuables, etc.

The NFL would have a pretty hard case to make that the particular nature of the job of playing football should preclude most convicts from employment.

Just 1?

Some of the ways the NFL does thing is the reason I am here.

1. Remove the obsession with yards.
2. Fill in the public on efficiency ratings.
3. Stop ranking top 10 defenses last in the league.
4. Fill everyone in on the fact there are 4 main statistical categories when it comes to rating passers, and the two most people are concerned about are probably the least important.
5. Put a stop to cliches which were wrong from the beginning.

Officials that are full time employees.

This. Very much this.

I want the refs gathered together every Tuesday watching film from the previous week's games, just like the players. I want them to study game tape of who they're going to be "playing" the next week, just like the players. I want them drilling with each other over dummy scrimmages until they're all calling, or not calling, interference, roughing, holding, etc. on the same plays.

I want the refs to have the same sort of locker room mentality that the players do. I want them to feel as though they need to be the best they can be at their jobs so as to not let down the other guys in the trenches with them. There's no more effective way to get people to take pride in their work than that.

What's more, imagine all of the NFL's teams having weekly practices with live officiating from the refs, where there's time for players to question why something was called and get explanations. Not only does this result in players (and coaches) with a better grasp of the rules, but it also establishes a greater level of familiarity and congeniality between the players and officials.

I feel like you do this one thing, and things like PI being a spot-of-the-foul penalty could become moot.

Stop the "TD, commercials, TD review, commercials, kickoff, commercials, first offensive play" thing that drags the TV broadcasts down.

Last edited:
No more Sunday night games. I can't stand waiting all day for the Pats to play. 4:15 is bad enough. At least on Monday, there's work or other non-football things to do. Although if Monday night games went also, I'd shed no tears.

1. Change the rule penalizing "taunting." What garbage. Before, they would call unsportsmanlike or delay for taunting or excessive celebration only if it was so distracting that it actually caused delays, or led to bench-clearing type fights.

2. Eliminate or change the 'Brady Rule.' And yes as much as I hate Bernard Pollard and agree it was a completely dirty play, I also hate that Brady's name is associated with yet another rule that makes it harder to play defense in this league and only protect QBs. If Rex Grossman had been playing QB for the Pats in KC that day, that rule wouldn't exist.

3. Eliminate the rule reviewing every TD. Its sole purpose was to give the networks more prime commercial slots.

4. Ban Dan Dierdorf from calling games, and force Fox to change their obnoxious theme music and get rid of that stupid robot doing aerobics graphic.

So many great ideas brough up so far, any option I could cite as my "one thing I would change about the NFL" has been mentioned already. If I was "forced" to choose just one then it would almost certainly be the PI interpretation reform, since I think that one type of penalty is the biggest "X factor" in NFL football, especially in this pass-happy era.

I'm going to add in a few things here that may be of interest:

1. Change the way the Competition Committee is populated. I think this committee is too influential (OK, I know this is not provable, but I grew up in the "Shula Reign of Terror" and now we have to suffer from the "Polian Politburo"), and therefore provides certain teams with a competitive advantage. Obviously this is a vital committee, so there needs to be one, and it definitely would not be effective to have a representative of each team on it (keeping in mind that the rule changes are always subject to vote from the entire league), so the only solution is to staff the committee only with people that (A) have no current affiliation with any team, and (B) have relevant applicable experience, meaning they were players, coaches, football executives, and/or referees. I think all who serve the committee should be a couple of years removed from their affiliation with a team, and that noone should be able to go immediately from the committee to a team (perhaps a two-year exclusion period). I don't think anyone should be on the committee for more than a certain period of time, say 4 years. Finally I think there should be a mix of people (say 2 former players, 2 former officials, 2 former coaches, and 1 former executive).

2. Make the standards for league discipline less arbitrary and capricious. It is idiotic that someone can be fined $7,500 for spiking a ball but only $15,000 for concussing someone (through an illegal hit). Don't get me started on the whole camera on the sidelines instead of the coaches booth fiasco. There is too much "making it up as they go along" by the league office at this point, and like many people I don't think Goodell has any credibility in this regard. The system in place now is disfunctional, and it unfairly affects competition. The only solution that makes sense to me is to handle this like laws and regulations are done in "real life." Let the Competition committee determine the standards for discipline, done based on specific criteria. These standards would be approved by vote of league ownership, and the league office's role would be only to "police" enforcement of the standards. If some new issue arises during a year (for example, Harrison's recidivism) then that becomes a matter for the Competition committee to put in place for the following year (and not change the rules of the league during the year). Obviously if some crisis arises that requires more immediate action then this can always be done based on ownership approval.

3. Change the touchback rule on a fumble. I know this is very trivial, but for whatever reason it annoys me that if someone fumbles and it exits the field anywhere but through the end zone, the team retains possession, but does not if the fumble goes through the end zone (if the fumble goes through your own end zone, its a safety, but if it goes through the opponents end zone, the opposing team gets it at their 20). I'm OK with the safety for fumbling it through your own end zone, I wouldn't change that, but for the rest of it, it would make more sense to me if the rule were simply that when a fumble is not recovered within the field of play, the team retains possession from the spot of the fumble.

Move the kickoff back to the 20 yard line which would heavily reduce touchbacks from happening.

Placing the ball at the spot of the ball after a pass interference call is absolutely ridiculous. Not only is the judgement on what is a catchable ball and what isn't extremely subjective, but wide receivers, even the very best of them, also actually do drop balls quite often.

If you're someone like Braylon Edwards, you might as well bump into the DB and draw a pass interference call because that would in fact be a safer way of gaining yardage.

Last edited:
Placing the ball at the spot of the ball after a pass interference call is absolutely ridiculous. Not only is the judgement on what is a catchable ball and what isn't extremely subjective, but wide receivers, even the very best of them, also actually do drop balls quite often.

I agree. That's way too much help. I think automatic first down should be sufficient for such a subjective, and harmless foul.

Last edited:
end halftime shows. dont allow espn to cover football.

(2) "Lottery" rule:

As of the last week of byes, all teams that are mathematically alive for the #1 spot in the draft are forced to "trade" their draft picks to the NFL, which will then reassign them based on winning games in the remaining weeks. [Thus, no team has an incentive to "suck for Luck" ever again.]
THis sounds really good, but in actuality, what would happen is:

The team that has the most remote chance at the #1 pick would have the obvious lead for something they don't deserve.
For example, the draft order would probably end up being something like 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,9,10,11,12,13...

I desperately want to see college overtime rules in the NFL. I hate seeing games come down to coin flips and field goals. Let both teams duke it out until the better team comes out on top

Considering our offense and red zone defense, that would be a major advantage.

Pass interference would be a 15 yard penalty & automatic first down and would be reviewable by replay both for calls made and those not made.

Personal fouls would be 15 yard penalties BUT would not effect down and distance. The yards would be marched off but if it was 4th and 6, it would remain 4th and 6. I'd call the Sugar Bear hamilton/BenDreith rule.

Finally, my ongoing crusade about NFL roster rules which make teams put players on IR who could contribute later in the season. Just silly. Dan Koppen should be playing C & Ras i Dowling and Josh barrett should be in the secondary and Myron Pryor should be contributing as a sub rusher. Answer: Widen eligibility for the practice squad to any player with less than 4 years experience and allow teams to activate practice squaders without clearing a spot on 53 man roster or being subject to waivers.

I like the idea of moving the trade deadline back to around Week 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back