PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name the 1 (one) thing you would change about the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There are certain things about the NFL that make no sense tome. Like last week when the PAT was muffed and run back. That should have been a safety. Why can you run back a muffed FG and not a muffed PAT?

But the 1 thing I would change about the NFL is the inactives. It makes no sense to have a 53 man roster and a PS, then have to inactive players for the game. There is not a whole lot of depth anyway. Inactives should be for injury and coaches to determine.

That's my main gripe, what's yours?

Officials that are full time employees.

IR taking a player out for the rest of the season.

Lambo leap should be excessive celebration

Rescind or revise some of the rule changes that have given such a huge advantage to the offense.

They should change the pass defense rules back to pre 2005. The league changed the rules so that receivers could not be touched after five yards because the Patriots beat up Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne in the playoffs. Football was better when the D-Backs were allowed to be more competitive. The defense in the NFL right now is subpar. They have made the NFL Arena like. An example being that three QB's might break Marino's passing yards record in the same season.

Last edited:
There are certain things about the NFL that make no sense tome. Like last week when the PAT was muffed and run back. That should have been a safety. Why can you run back a muffed FG and not a muffed PAT?

But the 1 thing I would change about the NFL is the inactives. It makes no sense to have a 53 man roster and a PS, then have to inactive players for the game. There is not a whole lot of depth anyway. Inactives should be for injury and coaches to determine.

That's my main gripe, what's yours?

That rule was put in place to increase competitiveness around the league. Imagine being a team with a ton of injuries going up against a fully stacked team of 53.

The rule I would change is Defensive Pass Interference. It needs to be tiered based on how far from the line of scrimmage it happened and how bad it was. Too many teams are getting freebie TDs on the 1 yard line. When you combine the low success rate of long passing plays with the possibility of PI getting called it makes taking those shots down the field more enticing than they should be.

If I can be greedy his Holiday season, the second rule I would change is the difference between a runner getting a TD and a receiver catching a TD in the end zone. These rules need to be more inline. It just doesn't make sense right now. Receivers are getting the shaft or maybe runners have it too easy.

Last edited:
Lambo leap should be excessive celebration

I mean it just shows how inconsistent the NFL is..you can leap in a crowd but can't make a snow angel

The pass possesion rules. If you take either three steps or two steps and a knee and then go to the ground it should be a catch. Also if you catch the ball take two steps and launch yourself towards the end zone or first down marker and the ball comes out while hitting the ground it's a catch (and possibly fumble in the case of the first down marker if you haven't been touched).

IR taking a player out for the rest of the season.

Or at least allow a couple of in season PUP slots. Make it a minimum of 5 weeks and max two players on that list at a time. If a player goes on week 1 and comes back week 6 another can take his place.

There would be no New York Jets.

#1 Eliminate Roger Goodell

OK given that that's out of consideration, my priorities

1. Drop the 2005 Polian Rule point of emphasis prohibiting contact beyond 5 yds from LOS. The offense favoring rules are ruining the game with 16 Dan Marinos a season.

2. Make IR less draconian, q.v. allow an in season PUP of 6-10 weeks min-max. That would prevent trivial use of the designation and would improve the product with guys like Glass IR Dowling etc. being able to play. It's entertainment. Why be a Debbie Downer and punish fans?

3. Make PI spot fouls limited to 15 yards and allow the refs to review the foul if "upstairs" decides there's reason.

4. Either call offensive holding every series of downs or clean up the criteria. I'm not sure how. But I'm tired of seeing obvious holds every time they replay a play focusing on the QB.

5. Cheerleaders must be topless. Especially in cold weather.

6. Outlaw any penalties on the New England Patriots

Last edited:
If I can be greedy his Holiday season, the second rule I would change is the difference between a runner getting a TD and a receiver catching a TD in the end zone. These rules need to be more inline. It just doesn't make sense right now. Receivers are getting the shaft or maybe runners have it too easy.

The rules shouldn't be the same because the situations aren't the same.

A runner (by definition) already has possession of the ball. So the moment the ball breaks the plane it's a TD and the ball is dead. Same is true for a receiver who has established possession of the ball in the field of play and runs into the endzone.

But a receiver who catches the ball in the endzone is a different situation -- he doesn't already have possession of the ball when he enters the endzone. He has to establish possession of it for it to be a score.

And note that the rules for whether a pass is complete or incomplete are the same both in the endzone and in the field of play.

They should re-introduce defense back into the league. Remember when teams were allowed to play defense?

the refs

find a way to rate them/can them

they suck 70% of the time, anyone else doing this bad really deserves to be fired

For me, I would move all the games to Saturday or Friday night. That way I can booze it up without having to worry about a Monday morning hangover. It works for me since I don't watch college or HS football.

While the points about grading the refs, coming back from the IR, making the practice squad part of the team(they are paying them anyways).... are outstanding ideas.

Mine is quite simply that all NFL games must be played on Saturday, Sunday or Monday Holidays between 1 & 7 PM.. no later, late games make me crazy and cause too many sleepless nights time for a change. Screw the people on the left coast.

For me, I would move all the games to Saturday or Friday night. That way I can booze it up without having to worry about a Monday morning hangover. It works for me since I don't watch college or HS football.

Oh, in particular, the Superbowl should be played on a Friday night or Saturday. Either that or the Monday after the superbowl should be a holiday.

#1 Eliminate Roger Goodell

OK given that that's out of consideration, my priorities

1. Drop the 2005 Polian Rule point of emphasis prohibiting contact beyond 5 yds from LOS. The offense favoring rules are ruining the game with 16 Dan Marinos a season.

2. Make IR less draconian, q.v. allow an in season PUP of 6-10 weeks min-max. That would prevent trivial use of the designation and would improve the product with guys like Glass IR Dowling etc. being able to play. It's entertainment. Why be a Debbie Downer and punish fans?

3. Make PI spot fouls limited to 15 yards and allow the refs to review the foul if "upstairs" decides there's reason.

4. Either call offensive holding every series of downs or clean up the criteria. I'm not sure how. But I'm tired of seeing obvious holds every time they replay a play focusing on the QB.

5. Cheerleaders must be topless. Especially in cold weather.

6. Outlaw any penalties on the New England Patriots

Cheerleaders should be topless because of cold weather.

If the defender is even and looking for the ball, it's not PI.

jets wouldn't be a NFL team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye