PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name one suprise cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree. The versatility thing is overblown. Edleman
is a good punt returner. On offense, he has caught 6 passes over
the past two years. On defense, he was forced into action because
of a woeful situation at safety.

Hey, he didn't say he was good in any phase.:)

(OK, just to be honest, he is a good punt returner. Just the joke doesn't allow that.)

Since this is hypothetical and all of us will end up being wrong in some of our predictions i take injuries, a undrafted player, practice squad player and low round picks, guys coming back from injuries, and just the decline whether it be mental or physical in regard.

This is a get after the quaterback kind of League witht the additions of Jones,Bequette, Fanene, this gives us 3 defensive lineman who can get to the QB as well as anchor against the run at least serviceable in that regard.

Brace has been wildly inconsistent and can't stay healthy I think his roster spot is and has been up for grabs, Love is a keeper who will just get better in my opinion.

Pryor is interesting he can penetrate as a tackle in the 4-3 but doesn't stop the run relatively well, he's been 1 dimensional at this point.

I think this years defense will be highlighted as being versatile and able to stay on the field and not be thrown off guard by hurry up offenses and mismatched personal.

This is highlighted by our draft selections and our free agents, Scott can play end and has value as a stand up linebacker in a 3-4 in a pinch he can be serviceable with his hand up.
Fanene has played end as well as nose in a 4-3 in both gap systems.

Jones can play end or the elephant in a 3-4

Hightower can play all over this defense.

even looking at our new additions at defensiveback

Gregory can play in the box or out in coverage ditto for Tavon Wilson who can also play at the nickel as well as outside defensive back he can play zone or bump man.

Fonzy has played outside, nickel, zone as well as man, I see him as more of a Zone defender but these additions give us alot of flexibility on stunts and schemes, much less chance for a mismatch or to be caught off guard and unprepared.

So cutting Warren it's just age you go with upside over the grizzled vet who will always be by the phone worst case scenario occurs during the season.

Cutting Brace does he scare opposing qbs, or offensive coordinators?
can he stay healthy has he improved every year?
Is their scheme flexibility with him?

Cutting Pryor this is a tough one for me but He is a 4-3 tackle and that's it he doesn't have the moves to rush from the end, or the athleticism to beat our Carter or Scott at that position.

I think he could even be traded for as high as a 5th.

Ocho Cinco has a decent camp and Preseason

But Ebert looks like a mix of Welker and Branch,
Impresses and Bill knows he can't sneak him on the practice squad he may get a phantom pinky injury and go on pup as well.

Woodhead, Vareen Addai and Bolden make Woodhead expendable
Bolden has a chance to be special and I think that will be on display the second he get's on the practice field. Addai is the new back in shotgun formations due to his excellent blitz pickup and he will pick up the scheme quickly.

Gonzalez we catch lightning in a bottle and see why he was a 1st round pick.

So in closing this is just a fun exersise so flame away.

It seems like you are mixing up the base D, which whether it is 34 or 43, requires 3 300+ DL, with sub packages that use 34 OLBs as the DEs.
Scott, Bequette, Jones are all either OLBs if we line up in a 34 or RDEs if we line up in the 43.
They will be DEs in the nickel and dime, but we need base D depth.
Your comment that Brace doesn't scare QBs really is a weird position for the bar of making the team as depth as a run defending DL.
Interestingly, you are saying we don't need DL because its a passing league, to the point you are calling 34 OLB/43RDEs D Lineman, but then you dismiss Pryor as one dimensional. Regardless of his run defending skills, he is certainly better in the base D at LDE in the 43 or either DE in the 34 than a 260-270lb OLB.
Just my 2 cents.

This may be a surprise to some, but I don't see Danny Woodhead on the team any longer.
I like him as a story line etc... But, he comes up small in the playoffs. Gets his bell rung easily as well.
:bricks:

He has missed 1 game in 2 years and played more snaps than any RB on the team.

I don't think any of the many bubble guys being chosen would fall into the surprise camp. So, my surprise choice is Spikes because he's "out there" and, should Hightower progress, as many expect, I think BB could trade or cut Spikes. Not that I think it would happen but he'd be my choice if you wanted a "surprise" name.

its not a cut, but i can see hoyer traded for a draft pick if mallet looks good during camp/preseason.

Is it be a surprise if we already know the player is on the bubble? Like Branch and Stallworth? I wouldn't consider them a surprise.

Spikes... that would be a surprise, but could happen.
Love would definately be a surprise.

These are the players I presume to be LOCKS for the 53-man roster. Better question is which of these might get cut?

Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead
Gronk, Hernandez
Vollmer, Solder
Mankins, Waters
Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Slater, Edelman
Wilfork, Love
Ninkovich, Spikes, Mayo
McCourty, Chung, Arrington, Dowling
Gostkowski, Mesko

Hoyer, Mallett, Ridley, Ninkovich and Dowling are my "most likely" list out of this pool. But, I would be very surprised if any of them got cut.

I think Hoyer, Mallett, Welker and Edelman could each be used as trade bait.

Is it be a surprise if we already know the player is on the bubble? Like Branch and Stallworth? I wouldn't consider them a surprise.

Spikes... that would be a surprise, but could happen.
Love would definately be a surprise.

These are the players I presume to be LOCKS for the 53-man roster. Better question is which of these might get cut?

Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead
Gronk, Hernandez
Vollmer, Solder
Mankins, Waters
Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Slater, Edelman
Wilfork, Love
Ninkovich, Spikes, Mayo
McCourty, Chung, Arrington, Dowling
Gostkowski, Mesko

Hoyer, Mallett, Ridley, Ninkovich and Dowling are my "most likely" list out of this pool. But, I would be very surprised if any of them got cut.

I think Hoyer, Mallett, Welker and Edelman could each be used as trade bait.

On your list, I see Love and Edelman as nowhere near locks, Gaffney as close but certainly not 100%, and I think you left Connolly, Deaderick, Gallery and the draft picks (though Bequette) off that should be on.

without even seeing him play- rob gallery

edelman- as a receiver, i rather have bam childress(he could play db also)

koppen- is he that much better than donald thomas etc.

branch- runs great routes and actually releases off the line excellently but at 5'9 he is really lacking deep speed that small guys need to have.

ocho- 15 catches. really?

pryor- decent pass rusher but sucks at defending the run. i hated the way he defended the run almost as bad as tully banta cain. also bad back.

brace- i was gunning for the guy but he never plays and if he is cut no one would notice.

warren- age factor.

without even seeing him play- rob gallery

edelman- as a receiver, i rather have bam childress(he could play db also)

koppen- is he that much better than donald thomas etc.

branch- runs great routes and actually releases off the line excellently but at 5'9 he is really lacking deep speed that small guys need to have.

ocho- 15 catches. really?

pryor- decent pass rusher but sucks at defending the run. i hated the way he defended the run almost as bad as tully banta cain. also bad back.

brace- i was gunning for the guy but he never plays and if he is cut no one would notice.

warren- age factor.

If you are suggesting the cuts would come from this list, I can understand. If you are saying these are the cuts, how do we field a DL?

Curious why you cut Gallery if you have never seen him play, and why you quesiton whether a starting caliber C is better than a guy who has barely seen the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a surprise to me if it happens but it's going to be Donte Stallworth which IMO is likely.

Hopefully assclown 85 follows

My off the wall prediction is that Love (or maybe Brace) will get cut if favor of my udfa binkie Marcus Forston who will surprise in camp.

Marcus Forston is terrible. I'm a student at Miami right now and just...gosh I'm surprised they even brought him in. I'm rooting for him but he's injury prone and weak at the point of attack.

Spikes is a lock, IMO.

Zoltan Mesko

Prob wont happen but I honestly can't remember anything he's done that's said to me, "Wow, he's a keeper!" (think Rich Camarillo type distance)
You've gotta be kidding me. If he's cut, he's picked up in 4 seconds.

Vereen.....

I agree Branch. He'll retire before the last cut down day, similar to Bruschi in 2009.

Last edited:
suprise cut -- wes welker. if the other receivers show alot, then wes's franchise tag salary becomes too high (assuming he signs tag and not long term deal).

most of the ppl mentioned in this thread wouldn't be suprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back