Welcome to PatsFans.com

Name and Shame - Absolutely Obama Do It!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 7, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Easily worth at least 5% bump up in the polls ...
    Also something the Tea Party would have to endorse ...

Name and Shame? Obama May Go Public with Lawmakers' Funding Requests - Reid Wilson - NationalJournal.com

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Without a doubt. For one he campaigned on gov't transparency and this would be an achievement (many would say positive at that) on that alone, but also this would put everyone on the dance floor with something to lose. R/D, hypocrites all, will have their money put where their mouth is, so to speak.

This could actually get something accomplished because they (congress and white house presumably cuz there is questionable stuff there too) have stuff to lose and we, the people, have seemingly something to gain (view into pet projects) and see who is preaching one thing and doing another. Who's part of the problem and who's going to be part of the solution.

No to mention if this works, he has most to gain; as a country with a congress that actually has to do something; maybe this is the one of the shocks our country as a whole (people, economy, life in general) needs to start rebuilding itself, and come next November...

Well played Mr. President.

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 15 / -8

Must have polled well for McCain when he kept saying (re: earmark requests) "And I will make them famous, and you will know their names."

Like I've always said, Obama is not afraid to use good ideas from Republicans and Democrats alike...

But PS, earmarks are a drop in the bucket, folks. It might be a satisfying gimmick, but big picture, it's a gimmick.

A constitutional amendment saying people are people, corporations are corporations, money is money, and speech is speech (for electoral purposes) is pretty much where this all has to end, if we're to get money out of politics. The Supremes have put the whole thing out of reach by any other mechanism.

But we all know the usual fate of Amendments That Will Fix the World.

PFnV

4. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

PFnVA,
    Agreed. When I first saw the post I got a little overjealous at the potential prospects. Having had a little more time to think about it, yes, it is a political gimmick but one I hope we can have "fun" with.

The money in politics is stupifying, and the ruling on the corps are people is about as bizarre and idea I have heard. I can only hope that someday it will return to what it always should have been, public service.

My sister always has this funny saying (and I know im going to butcher it). Something to the effect of "5% of Americans are millionares, while 44% of people in congress are millionares". With a composition like that, no wonder we have the issues we have.

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 15 / -8

If you really want to have fun, look up the percentage of Congress that have committed crimes or at least been indicted, versus the general population.

I live in the DC area, and it's almost a local joke that we have warring police tribes in DC. You have like 5 or 6 official police departments. There's a capitol police, the park police, the "treasury police," the DC metro police... I once saw, I sh1t you not, a marked car for something called the "Library Police."

It's also sort of funny that Capitol Hill, off and on, is referred to as a moderately high-crime area.

It's funny, because they don't even count Congress itself -- that would put the numbers off the charts.

PFnV

6. Drewski

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Thats rich!! Must need a police force to enforce the return dates on "Congress for Dummies". Without that book, the knuckle draggers in Brooks Brothers suits would be even more lost than they are.

7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +486 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

I think this is a good idea in principle (even if the potential savings would be small).

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

Think it is less about saving money, and more about embarassment..

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Exactly ... the citizens of the country need to know more about what goes on behind the scenes instead of less.

10. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +486 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

Are they going to release the requests that Obama made while Senator as well?

11. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +486 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

Yup, that sounds like Obama alright.

Brilliant politician (gimmicks).

Big picture? Meh.

:D

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 26 / -33

No idea......

13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 15 / -8

Of course not. And that's not their job.

But I'm sure the right wing corporate shills will yammer about it ad infinitum in an effort to deflect. Won't matter. Your boys are playing defense, and from what I can tell, they're about as effective as the Pats in that department.

You can never tell on the day-to-day polls, but Gallups had him trending +2 in the positives (to 44) and -1 in the negatives.

We'll see whether he trends upward continually as he pursues the current course, which is "fighting Obama" mode. Something tells me the tide's turned on the class of '10, and if there's no way through Congress, it looks like Obama's looking at every way he can find around Congress. People seem to be liking that.

PFnV

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,970 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Congress broken and we suffer the side effects ... i like the fighting Obama.

15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 15 / -8

Seems like everybody does, except our "moderator" and a couple of mental midgets on the far right, frankly. The republicans overreached so far, that they've put the majority country on "fight for your rights" footing.

Witness last night's elections.