PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name a top 10 WR in the NFL who would thrive in Brady's system and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense to the OP but I don't find DeAndre Hopkins to be even a decent route runner. Pretty much just a freak athlete with hands.

To and your question though I'll say Antonio Brown. Guy literally cannot be covered in man. Reminds me of prime Chad Johnson but way more polished.

I'd like to see what TB could do with Jordy Nelson in his arsenal of weapons.

Emmanuel Sanders for sure. I'd say Brandin Cooks and Jermaine Kearse as well.

Ok, but bringing up Galloway (unwilling to learn, according to multiple reports, and all but finished) and Johnson (incapable of learning new tricks at that point, and all but finished), is not the same as bringing up top WRs in their primes. Even mid-level players have been able to make the transition. Moss made the transition. Welker made the Transition. Amend0la made the transition. Lloyd made the transition. LaFell made the transition. Hogan's making the transition.

Yes, you need receivers who can adapt on the fly, as needed. Yes, that means that a certain type of receiver (only willing to run certain routes, or only used to running routes with minimal adjustments) will struggle, or may wash out. But the underlying truth is that a huge part of the Patriots WR problems have been because the Patriots have largely brought in ****ty WRs, either because they were has-beens by the time they were brought in or because they were never-weres.

And, as for the "talented draft picks" portion of your post, I think you're equating "drafted high or has nice measurables" with "had real NFL-translated skills". Try to name a "talented draft pick" that the Patriots took, who thrived elsewhere after failing in N.E., and I think you'll see that.

C. Jackson - washout
B. Tate - washout
B. Johnson - washout
P.K. Sam - washout
T. Price - washout
J. Boyce - washout
A. Dobson - washout (to date)

He wasn't even drafted here, but the only guy that somewhat meets the criteria is Kamar Aiken. He was here for 2 years before finding a home with the Ravens.

Not a perfect example, but the closest we have to fit the narrative.

Easy, Antonio Brown.

Small, tough, shifty and as fast as they come.

That's the prototypical Belichickian WR. Doesn't hurt that he's the best in the game.
I agree, but for an additional reason.

The Brady/Belichick Pattriot offense requires a receiver and quarterback to be on the same page.

Roethlisberger quite often buys time, giving his receivers more time to get open.

While I realize that is unlike the quick-release passing offense the Patriots prefer, there is another aspect that makes me believe that Brown would fit in well with the Pats. Brown will not only break off of his routes based on the opposing defense, but more importantly he and his quarterback are seeing the same thing with that defense - and adjusting accordingly.

Even without all of his elite skills, that part of his repertoire makes me feel that he would fit in admirably in the New England offense.

He wasn't even drafted here, but the only guy that somewhat meets the criteria is Kamar Aiken. He was here for 2 years before finding a home with the Ravens.

Not a perfect example, but the closest we have to fit the narrative.
Kamar Aiken played 1 game with the patriots. You might have him mixed up with Sam Aiken

Fizty, AJ and Brown would be my top choices. Green would likely make the most difference.

Ok, but bringing up Galloway (unwilling to learn, according to multiple reports, and all but finished) and Johnson (incapable of learning new tricks at that point, and all but finished), is not the same as bringing up top WRs in their primes. Even mid-level players have been able to make the transition. Moss made the transition. Welker made the Transition. Amend0la made the transition. Lloyd made the transition. LaFell made the transition. Hogan's making the transition.

Yes, you need receivers who can adapt on the fly, as needed. Yes, that means that a certain type of receiver (only willing to run certain routes, or only used to running routes with minimal adjustments) will struggle, or may wash out. But the underlying truth is that a huge part of the Patriots WR problems have been because the Patriots have largely brought in ****ty WRs, either because they were has-beens by the time they were brought in or because they were never-weres.

And, as for the "talented draft picks" portion of your post, I think you're equating "drafted high or has nice measurables" with "had real NFL-translated skills". Try to name a "talented draft pick" that the Patriots took, who thrived elsewhere after failing in N.E., and I think you'll see that.

C. Jackson - washout
B. Tate - washout
B. Johnson - washout
P.K. Sam - washout
T. Price - washout
J. Boyce - washout
A. Dobson - washout (to date)

Good post. I do want to point out that both Amendola and Lloyd were brought in based on Josh McDaniels having coached them first hand. Anyway, your point is made that you don't need a Gary Kasparov intellect to succeed here, though I think it's important to note the New England offense is often singled out by players and coaches as one of the most complex ones in the league. And when looking at the cost of some superstar wideouts, in the rare occasions they do hit free agency, I'm sure that Belichick's cap/salary view includes a lot more nuances and deeper understanding of a receiver's overall strengths, rather than just the sheer athleticism that many assume would translate to certain success.

Good post. I do want to point out that both Amendola and Lloyd were brought in based on Josh McDaniels having coached them first hand. Anyway, your point is made that you don't need a Gary Kasparov intellect to succeed here, though I think it's important to note the New England offense is often singled out by players and coaches as one of the most complex ones in the league. And when looking at the cost of some superstar wideouts, in the rare occasions they do hit free agency, I'm sure that Belichick's cap/salary view includes a lot more nuances and deeper understanding of a receiver's overall strengths, rather than just the sheer athleticism that many assume would translate to certain success.

I agree that it takes a certain level of WRIQ to master the offense, and that it takes an ability to use that WRIQ quickly, as well. Most elite NFL players will be able to function in multiple systems, which is part of what makes them elite, which is why I think most of today's top wideouts could work with Brady. It's the lesser players who are more likely to be system bound.

I would also say that BB clearly doesn't put a premium on the OWR position, and that has led to a perspective issue for fans over the years. He's built a system around slot WRs, who get underpaid in the league, and he's generally a penny pincher when it comes to outside WRs (how much of that is because of Brady, and how much is because of how BB actually wants his system to go, is something I'd love to know). But digging in the bargain bin has its drawbacks, and we've seen a lot of that at the WR position, where, outside of 2007-2008, this team hasn't had a full, quality, slate for more than a year at a time since the Branch/Givens era (2002-2004).

Julian Edelman.

QED.

Any top 10 would thrive with the GOAT i.e. Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey