Welcome to PatsFans.com

Nader Throws His Hat Into The Ring

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Feb 24, 2008.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, this certainly can't be good news for the left.... but I don't think it will be enough to overcome Obama's unstoppable momentum... I mean, sad fact of the matter is that when the entire news media does nothing but talk about how wonderful a candidate is (and also bash his opponent), enough fools are going to believe it and elect the guy.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=4336298&page=1

Calling Washington, D.C., "corporate-occupied territory," consumer advocate Ralph Nader launched his fifth campaign for the presidency Sunday.

"I'm running for president," said Nader in an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press." Nader downplayed the impact he might have on the ultimate outcome of the race, saying "if Democrats can't landslide the Republicans this year, they ought to just wrap up, close down, emerge in a different form."
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I'll be voting for Nader. again.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +547 / 2 / -9

Good for Nader (Prince Boom Boom) will lose a few votes on this one.

:bricks:
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Because I live in a state that will go Democrat no matter who I vote for. The difference between Nader and Clinton/Obama is greater than the difference between them and McCain, and it infuriates me that the two-party system has such a stranglehold on power in this country and so Nader and his views shouldn't be voiced as a ticket. Voting for him, even though he can't win will raise his stature and prominence in American political dialogue, which would be a healthy thing for a Democracy.

The reason why he can't win is because everyone says he can't. If he was allowed into the debates and his views were given a platform from which to speak to Americans he would be vastly more popular. Everyone always says "I like a lot of the thing he says but now isn't the time" or "there's just too much at stake this election." Well there's always going to be a lot at stake, but I don't think the Democratic party represents what me and my beliefs so when can I vote for a third party candidate? It's the same exact notion that MLK was talking about when he said that the biggest threat to the civil rights struggle was white moderate liberals who always said "I agree with you but now is not the time." It's always the time for social justice.
  5. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

but no blame for Al Gore? if he had run a better campaign he would have gotten those votes. How about all of the Democrats that enabled the Iraq invasion. Hillary voted for the war and all the Democrats pvssied out so don't play card, it's moronic.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

NEM I agree with you completly on this. Even though Nader denies it if it wasn't for him and his EGO Bush would have never been elected. And all those people wouldn't have had to die in Iraq, among countless other atrocities this administration have managed to accomplish. Nader of course denies helping put Bush in office by siphoning votes from Gore, and maintains the Dems lost the election on there own. Bullsh!t Nader handed the election to Bush. I look at him as accountable as Bush in what has happened. Hes an anachronism, and a Bush enabler nothing more. Hes a dinosaur who's time has come and gone,gone a long time ago.
  7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

where do the democrats that voted for the war fall in your animosity meter?
  8. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

for all intensive purposes, i'm going to vote for whoever the Republican dude is.

Since they all lie about everything, i'd at least like to be taxed less.
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I can honestly say that after Bush was elected and perpetuated a dis-information campaign of epic proportion,cooking the books cherry-picking information, out right lieing about WMD. I can see how just about any one could believe that Iraq had WMD. Most foreign Intel agencies thought the same thing to varying degrees. Especially when Bush trotted out Colin Powell, a well respected man to put forth his(bush's) dis-information who wouldn't voted to autherize Bush to use force (I know there were a FEW). They believed that he wasn't going to immediatly start a war. He was given the power to use force if necessary.
  10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

That is garbage. Everyone (Nader of course included) knew that this was all BS from the get go. The Dems didn't have the guts to do the right thing and get into the debate about their patriotism so they decided to back down and vote for the war to save their a$$es. Hans Blix and other nations were providing pretty transparent information that this was all BS. Anyone with any basic knowledge of foreign affairs knew that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. The notion that the Democrats were duped by faulty intelligence is a complete joke spin job and it's exactly why I'd never vote for them unless I had to. Many of them won't even say now that their vote was a mistake. But that's right, blame the guy who tried to provide Americans with a real choice in the elections.
  11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I think you skipped the big one...Property taxes. And for those that want lower taxes I say this: We all belong to a group,or club and paying taxes is the dues to be a member of the group. ex. theres some large pot holes down the road from where I live, I can't just go out there and fix them, so I and the people of the town I live in put there money together to have the pot holes fixed. None of us alone would have the money to fix all these pot holes so thats why we pay taxes. To have the pot holes fixed, to have fireman,police schools teachers etc. Like NEM said if federal taxes go down (and they have ) the state has to come up with the money, so state taxes go up. If you want to live in a society were thing function correctly taxes are a nesassary evil. So when you here politicians talk about lowering taxes the money for the buses to run on time has to come from some where.
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

The only garbag is the whole Iraq-Alquieda connection. I don't think any-one truly believed that. I know I didn't. I also relized that I shouldn't have included it in the post,post post. The rest IS far from garbage. And for you to right this post refuting everything on that one line is garbage.
  13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I was talking about WMD claims, which Hans Blix, Scott Ritter, the IAEA, Joe Wilson and numerous other international agencys and governments were saying was BS. That's the reason why there were enormous protests in the build up to war. Who is the candidate for the people that knew the WMD claim was BS? Again the Democrats do not represent me or the views of many Americans which is why Nader has support, and to blame him for the Democrats shortcomings makes me want to vote for him even more.
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

Ah, the arrogance of the right. Anyone who doesn't think like them is merely being bamboozled by the media. And the right is not fooled by the media? LOL. At any rate, if you're too believe the right, the media tried to give us Gore and Kerry and look what we ended up with instead: An utter incompetent, who can be credited with creating a dreadful economy, massive debt, 7,000 dead Americans, 2 wars we can't seem to win, inflation -- and all the other things that recently gave Bush a 19% approval rating. For most Americans at this point, the media seems far more worthy of trust than the right wing, which has failed America over the last 8 years. They have no right to be arrogant. They should be ashamed.
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

wow... You really are quite the self loathing, angry white male, huh..? :rofl: :rofl:
  16. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

edit: i was derailing this pointless Ralph Vader crap.

I'm making a new thread. NEM, im calling you out!! :)
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I can name a few agencies to how about the British,German,Russian and Isrealie Mussad, They all thought that there was a Real, genuine possibility that Saddom had been working on wmd for years after he kicked the inspectors out.And Saddom WANTED the world to believe he had wmd. Joe Wilson concern was for the lack of evidence of the sale of yellow cake uranium to Iraq. Only a small part in the over all picture. It turned out Saddom was woffin,i.e like a dog thats scared so they bark Loud to scare the threat away, it back-fired on him (Saddom).I agreed with Blixa at the time,and Ritter quiting caught my attention, but he was a lone wolf in a group of intel services saying the opposite was most likely the case. And I watched the news from several different sources and I don't remember (massive protests) I remember just the opposite,because the news services had buckled under the "you're either with us or against us" rhetoric and didn't delve to deeply in questioning the administration.

Just to make things clear Wildo I have always been a registered Independent. I didn't like Gore much my-self but after seeing what Bush did in Texas the only pragmatic choice was Gore. Nader was never going to win only help Bush,which he did by taking away app. 250,000+ votes in Florida alone. I would like to see a third party myself. If a third party candidate came along that I thought could really have a shot at winning I'd vote for them as long as I thought what they stood for was close,not exactly what I was looking for as far as out look.
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

God bless Ralph. A man of his convictions who isn't afraid to lay it all on the line. Again and again he's been fighting the good fight.

I wrote him in for president in '72, the second time I could vote. I voted for Nixon the first time, but since Nixon told the communists he was going to do a pull-out regardless of outcome, he pissed me off so much I thought Nader would at least be consistent.

Looks like I'm voting for McCain this time, though. He knows what hell is like. Five years in the Hanoi Hilton, POW under the North Vietnam/Soviet empire. Tortured, beaten to the point of death, still can't raise his arms above his shoulders, he knows what some evil people can do.

Got to respect McCain for what he's endured for America. Yeah, he gets my vote.

//
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Maybe Ralph can do for the Dems what big ears Ross Perot did for the Repubs in '92.

Go RALPH!!!

:singing:

//
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Another candidate I do not like, all he will do is mess up stuff.. as far as McCain goes I was told not to like him by the GWB minions in 2000.. so they are always right and I have a hard time changing.